Home

Derek Baldwin|Been Around the World (NBA 2K14 MyCareer)

This is a discussion on Derek Baldwin|Been Around the World (NBA 2K14 MyCareer) within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-08-2014, 11:49 PM   #57
MVP

ChosenOne58's Arena

OVR: 5
I'm Focused, Man

One thing that I am not too keen of in Chicago is this damn weather. I'm used to the cold somewhat playing in Barcelona, but I'm from Louisiana at heart and this weather still takes some getting used to. I'm heading in from practice when I notice a car that I haven't seen before parked in front of Jessica's house. I don't pay much attention to it because it's not my place. But I still get a weird feeling about it.

I go inside and see a note from Devin saying that he stocked the fridge. That's why he's the homie. I check the pantry and refrigerator and notice that I have all the ingredients to make a pot of gumbo. I shoot Devin a text to thank him for the food and to let him know that dinner will be ready in a couple hours. He asks if he can bring a friend and by friend, I know he means that waitress. I think her name is Toya. It doesn't matter. I tell him it's fine and I set to work.

Three hours later, we've eaten and we're watching some highlights on Sports Center which reminds me that I need to head over to Jessica's. I get to my front step and I notice that the same Mercedes from earlier was parked outside. So I decide to make a phone call first instead.

After three rings, she picks up the phone.

“Hello?” She sounds a little out of breath, like she's been running or....well I'm not going to think about or.

“What's up? I was going to come over, but it looks like you got some company so I thought it'd be good to call you first.”

“Oh, it's just Jake. He, uh, he came by to bring Adam back. He spent the weekend with him.”

“Oh, okay. Well, I was just coming by to drop the tickets for you guys for the game on Monday. The game is actually played at like six o'clock so he won't be out too late. I know it's a school night and everything, but I mean, it's Kobe Bryant. And it's courtside seats.”

She laughs. “No, that's fine. Um, Jake should be leaving soon. We just finished eating, so you can come over in a bit. Or I can come and get the tickets from you.”

I didn't know how I felt about that. I mean, when you drop somebody off, don't you do just that? I wonder how long he had been there before I got back from practice. I'm thinking too much.

“You can come over and get them today or tomorrow. Whichever works for you. I have to be at the UC at three o'clock. So it's fine.”

“Okay. I'll get them tomorrow.”

I hang up the phone and head back upstairs. I notice Devin and Toya putting on their coats.

“She has a shift that starts at 5, so I'm going to take her to work. I'll be back in a bit. Cool?”

“Yeah, man. Cool.”

“Thanks for dinner, Derek. It was great.”

“You're welcome.”

About an hour later Devin returns.

“Is there a white Mercedes still parked outside?”

“Yeah. Jessica got a new car?”

“Nah, that's her ex.”

“Oh.”

“Husband.”

“I see. That's why you had the long face when Toya and I were leaving today.”

“What?”

“Come on, man. Don't lie to me. You like this girl. I know that.”

“I mean, yeah. But I feel like dude is trying to make his prescence felt after we ran into him at the concert.”

“I got you. Look, man, we can't worry about that right now. You got Kobe Bryant coming to town and I think you need to watch some more film. I thought that's what we were doing today?”

I turn on the tv and drop the DVD in of some of Kobe's last few games. I can't let myself get caught up over any damn females. I got a job to do. 15 minutes into the film watching my phone buzzed on the table.

Alex G. (Underground) January 19, 2014 6:21 P.M. What's up? Busy?

A slow smile crossed my face and I turned the phone to Devin.

“Wrap that up, you got work to do.”

Derek January 19, 2014 6:21 P.M.
I'm actually looking at some game film. So yeah, I guess that would classify as busy.

Alex G. (Underground) January 19, 2014 6:23 P.M. Really? Sounds pretty boring. I thought maybe we could hang out. Haven't heard from you in a while.

Derek January 19, 2014 6:23 P.M. Well, as boring as it sounds, I have to get ready for this game tomorrow. So this is where I'm going to be.

Alex G. (Underground) January 19, 2014 6:24 P.M. Hmmm....want some company?

That doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Derek January 19, 2014 6:26 P.M. As tempting as that sounds. You and I both know that probably isn't a good idea. I got a job to do.

Alex G. (Underground) January 19, 2014 6:26 P.M.

Derek January 19, 2014 6:27 P.M. Don't be like that. Look, maybe we can go out next weekend. I have a home game on Monday. I'll be back in town on Saturday. We can hang out on Sunday.

Alex G. (Underground) January 19, 2014 6:28 P.M. I guess I'll accept that. Talk to you later.

Derek January 19, 2014 6:30 P.M. Sounds good. Later.

I put the phone back on the table only to notice Devin staring at me.

“What?”

“Can you please get some focus about yourself? Kobe is gonna light your *** up for 30.”

“Oh, I'm focused, man.”
Old 02-08-2014, 11:50 PM   #58
MVP

ChosenOne58's Arena

Game Results

Bulls Hold Off Last Minute Surge by Lakers

January 20
LAL|15|20|22|27|84
CHI|12|20|27|29|85

Key Performers
Nick Young – 26 points, 2 assists, 2 steals
Derek Baldwin – 21 points, 3 assists, 3 steals, 3 rebounds
Old 02-08-2014, 11:51 PM   #59
MVP

ChosenOne58's Arena

Twitter Feed

Old 02-12-2014, 08:45 PM   #60
MVP

ChosenOne58's Arena

January 24: Bulls vs. Clippers

Chicago dominates in the paint against Los Angeles

Derek Baldwin puts Antawn Jamison on a poster

Carlos Boozer still has it as he's shown over the past few games. He wanted the ball inside and his teammates were sure to get it to him. Booz picked up 10 points in the first half pushing Chicago to a 37-45 lead over Los Angeles at the half. The three ball was good to Los Angeles as they hit seven of them, allowing them to cut the lead to five before the end of the third quarter. Behind Boozer's 18 points, Chicago dominated the paint, scoring 52 points inside. Blake Griffin had an abismal shooting night, putting in only 10 points, going 5 of 15 from the field.

“I still have some juice left.” - Bulls Power Forward, Carlos Boozer

LAC (26-19)|19|18|22|13|72
CHI (23-19)|19|26|22|17|84

Key Performers

J. Reddick - 17 points
Matt Barnes – 14 points, 6 rebounds, 2 assists
B. Griffin – 10 points, 9 rebounds

D. Baldwin - 22 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists
C. Boozer – 18 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists
J. Noah – 18 points, 4 assists

Jordan Player of the Game
Carlos Boozer – 18 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists
Old 02-12-2014, 08:46 PM   #61
MVP

ChosenOne58's Arena

Game Results

Baldwin Scores Career High 35 Points Against Charlotte

January 25
CHI|17|17|26|19|11|90
CHA|20|17|20|22|5|84

Key Performers
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist – 19 points, 6 assists, 4 rebounds
Derek Baldwin - 35 points, 3 assists, 3 rebounds

Rose Sinks Clutch Free Throws for Win

January 27
MIN|19|25|21|12|77
CHI|20|26|15|18|79

Key Performers
N. Pekovic - 16 points, 9 rebounds
Derek Baldwin - 21 points, 5 assists
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2014, 12:57 AM   #62
MVP

ChosenOne58's Arena

Game Tweets

Old 02-16-2014, 12:58 AM   #63
MVP

ChosenOne58's Arena

2K Sports Magazine Article

Perfect 10
Rose, Boozer, and Baldwin need to be at the top of their game to take the Bulls to the next level
Ryan Hull | 2KSports Magazine

Derrick Rose, Derek Baldwin, and Carlos Boozer on the floor against the Charlotte Bobcats

The Chicago Bulls seem to be coming into their own, after stumbling out of the gate at the start of the season, to rookie Derek Baldwin vowing to be a better player and essentially challenging his teammates to do the same. All of which have stepped up to the challenge, none more than Carlos Boozer.

Over the past 30 days, Boozer has averaged 13.8 points per game, which is much closer to his normal average for the Bulls.

“We were just trying to see how well everybody fit together,” says Boozer. “Coach [Thibodeau] was still adjusting the roster. We were still getting used to each other. And then this guy (pointing to Baldwin) just comes out of nowhere and starts putting in work.”

Baldwin just shrugs it off.

“I’m just playing my game. I’ve been able to work out with these guys, even on our days off. We go over different things. Sometimes I’ll call D. Rose up if I’m watching film and we’ll break it down together just to see what we can do different or if we want to tighten up a play or something. It’s good to have someone to bounce those ideas off of.”

Rose nods in agreement.

“He puts in the work. He wants to learn. He wants to get better. He wants to win. Some nights it’s me, some nights its Derek, some nights it’s Booz, some nights it's Joe. We all work hard, but we don't ever want to fall into a pattern of one person carrying the team or all three of us needing to put up massive numbers every game. We just all want to give 100 percent. Whether it's making the right pass, coming up with a defense stop, snagging a rebound or getting to the basket. ”

Baldwin has managed to surround himself with some pretty good company. Boozer, an 11 year NBA veteran, with two all-star appearances, two Olympic medals, and an NCAA championship from Duke University. Derrick Rose, a former rookie of the year, NBA MVP, and three time all-star. Joakim Noah, two-time NCAA champion and NBA All-Star.

“To say that we’re the same age and D. Rose has accomplished so much in his career, it makes me feel great about what we can accomplish here,” says Baldwin.

So has Chicago found its own Big Three? Rose, Boozer, and Baldwin recently sealed a win for their team over the Timberwolves as they went five of six from the free throw line in the final minute. The game before that, they combined for 65 of the Bulls’ 90 points in a win over the Charlotte Bobcats in overtime.

“Big Three is so overused,” commented Baldwin. “I like to refer to us as the Perfect 10. You have number 1, number 4, and number 5. When you add us up, you get 10. But seriously, this is a team effort. No man is greater than the group. We win together, we lose together.”

If Chicago keeps this up, there may be another banner hanging in the United Center before we know it.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:59 AM   #64
MVP

ChosenOne58's Arena

2K Sports Magazine Article

Derek Baldwin: Sort of Like a Big Deal
Dawn Vincent | 2KSports Magazine

He started off as an unknown rookie in Chicago trying to solidify his role on Coach Tom Thibodeau’s roster to becoming the next “Human Highlight Reel”. Not only is he making a name for himself as a posterizer in this league, but he has a nifty jump shot to go along with it.

“I was just in practice messing around. Doing a few dunks and I think it may have been Jimmy who asked why I never did them in the game. At the time, I was just focusing on my defense and just trying to get other aspects of my game down. I’d dunk here and there, on a break or whatever, but I had never really just powered over anybody on some Vince Carter type stuff.”

It looks as though he took Jimmy’s advice though. He’s been giving the fans several spectacular in game dunks, so much so that he has been asked to compete in the Sprite Slam Dunk Contest.

“I think I’m going to do it. It’ll be fun to be able to participate in All-Star weekend. I’m getting to go home to New Orleans, so it’ll be great to be in front of my family, friends and the fans and just have some fun.”

He looks like he’s been having a lot of fun this season. Since declaring to be a better teammate and give 110 percent to the team every night, he has taken his game to new heights and his teammates as well as the fans love him for it. He has become a driving force in this Chicago Bulls’ offense, recently having a career game against the Charlotte Bobcats scoring 35 points and scoring his 500th career point in the process. That game had to have been one of his finest moments so far. After sinking both free throws in the closing seconds to take the game to overtime, he scored six more points to help secure the victory. He has recently gained the League's attention and cracked the list of Rookie of the Year candidates.

“I think it’s great that I’m getting noticed. We had a really good rookie class. Trey Burke, Nerlens Noel, Anthony Bennett, Victor Oladipo, Cody Zeller. A really solid class. So just to be mentioned among those young guys is great. My time here is limited. I’ve got five to seven years on most of the guys that were drafted that night.”

He is also letting out more of his playful side. He can be seen on the sidelines before a game getting the fans and his teammates engaged and ready for the match up.

“When the season started I was really focused. You know just concentrate on the game and nothing else, but my teammates and my friends saw that I wasn’t playing my best because I was concentrating too hard. I’m a fun guy and I’m a huge dork. So I had to bring some of that side of myself out. The statement after the Knicks loss was one of those “too serious” moments. But it paid off in the end.”

To say it paid off was an understatement. Not only has he gotten a spot on the Bulls starting roster, but he has earned a spot in the hearts of the fans. He has over 100,000 followers on twitter and that number continues to grow every day. He has recently signed a deal with Nike to be part of their “Make It Count” campaign, as witnessed by the billboards erected all over the city of Chicago. Rumor has it that there may be some shoes in the works.

“It was definitely a shock the first time I saw my face plastered above [Interstate] 290,” he says, laughing. “A lot of good things are happening. I was honored that Nike selected me to be part of the campaign. My story isn’t really the norm. There was no guarantee that I’d be in the league like Brandon Jennings or Jeremy Tyler. I just knew I didn’t want basketball to end for me after my four years of college were up. Some guys go overseas and never make it back to this level. So to play among the best in the world, I have to make it count every time I step on the floor.

“The fans here are so great. I didn’t come in with a lot of fanfare like Derrick Rose or Joakim Noah. Nobody knew me. But the fans have embraced me and I just try to give that appreciation back to them. It is weird getting stopped when I’m at the mall or out to eat, but I take it all in stride.”

Baldwin is a big fan of giving back as evidenced by his visiting and donating money to three elementary schools in the city of Chicago. He even played a few rounds of hoops with the kids.

“That was so much fun. I had a great time. These kids are our future doctors, lawyers, presidents, congressmen and women. You have to invest in their futures now.”

He is also a man about town. You can catch Derek anywhere from Chicago Cut to Giordano's to court side at a college basketball game at the University of Illinois or DePaul. Just check his twitter feed. He also seems to be rubbing elbows with some pretty elite people outside of Chicago. Among those, rappers Jay-Z and Big Sean. He was spotted at a holiday party in New York at the famous 40/40 nightclub after the Bulls beat the Nets. Apparently he got a personal invite from Mr. Carter himself.

“I was just as surprised as you are to get that invite. I was just going to hang out in Times Squareor something. I had some friends in town and we were just going to hang out. Did not expect that, but apparently I could not pass it up either. Christmas was good.”

Baldwin appears to be making a splash on and off the court. So what’s next for the player who’s got next in the NBA?

“We want what everybody wants. To raise another banner in Chicago. We won't rest until it happens.”

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties »