Home

2010 Washington Huskies

This is a discussion on 2010 Washington Huskies within the College Football Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football > College Football Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-19-2010, 08:19 PM   #33
One Last Job

TracerBullet's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: 2010 Washington Huskies

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaima1shu
Yup.

I didn't see us winning, but I didn't think it would be THIS bad. Still, I just think Nebraska is a vastly superior team. Outside of Oregon, I don't think we face another team as good as Nebraska this year. We'll be fine.
Agreed. Kind of funny though that everyone keeps trying to say Nebraska isn't that good. I really think they are probably one of the 5 best teams in the nation. Easily the best in the Big XII right now.

That game was pitiful though on both sides of the ball. Hopefully we bounce back against USC this week. They haven't shown that they are made of much this season and UW really needs a road win. Let's hope they go out there with a sense of urgency and put it to them early on. If not I don't think they win. The road game winless streak will end this season, but I'm hoping its this week and not against WSU which I'm sure they will win easy.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:08 PM   #34
Robot

thaima1shu's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostle
I hope so. I didn't care who won this game as I love both Nebraska and Washington equally. Always have. With that said, it was painful to see our fifth-year QB play like that. Jake is one of my favorite college athletes of all-time and it was seriously painful to see him perform like that. His future status as a day 1 NFL pick is in question now.

I always thought that Sark was the best thing for him but I do kind of question that right now. Sark seems convinced that he can turn Jake into your prototypical pocket passer and I just don't think he'll ever be that. I am not giving up on him at all, there's still not a QB in the nation who has the physical gifts, but he has to figure it out pretty quick and play out of his mind for the rest of his U-Dub career.

I do agree about Nebraska, though. They look like they could in the mix for a national title this year, especially if Martinez keeps it up. That kid is amazing.
I think Sark is teaching him correctly (I'm guessing), but Jake needs to also step it up and make the right decisions. He's pressing and not taking what is available. There were plenty of instances where he could have dumped it off but forced it into double coverage. And don't even get me started on the balls he just threw up for grabs when facing pressure. He needs to be better than that, and I think he is better than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracerBullet
Agreed. Kind of funny though that everyone keeps trying to say Nebraska isn't that good. I really think they are probably one of the 5 best teams in the nation. Easily the best in the Big XII right now.

That game was pitiful though on both sides of the ball. Hopefully we bounce back against USC this week. They haven't shown that they are made of much this season and UW really needs a road win. Let's hope they go out there with a sense of urgency and put it to them early on. If not I don't think they win. The road game winless streak will end this season, but I'm hoping its this week and not against WSU which I'm sure they will win easy.
Don't forget how poorly special teams played again. Kickoff coverage remains an issue, and what happened to Erik Folk increasing his distance on kickoffs? His leg strength has improved on field goals, but it's no where to be found on kickoffs. Nebraska's kicker is booting it through the end zone everytime, and Folk is getting to the 5 or 10 yard line, sometimes the 15. That needs to improve somehow.

But that said, conference play for us hasn't even started yet. We actually have a bye week before the USC game, so I think that gives us time to regroup and iron out a lot of issues (hopefully). I have tremendous faith in this staff, but when you're playing 14 true freshman, the most in the country, there will be growing pains.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:27 PM   #35
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27

Yeesh... The Dawgs look bad... Really bad.

Locker has regressed from last year... And I knew their defense was a weak spot, but they looked so incredibly small and slow vs Nebraska that they're gonna need to score a ton of points to stay in games...

So they're going to have a tough go of it the rest of the year.

Their best chance is to run the ball more, with Polk and Callier. Locker is crumbling under the weight of being a program savior and heisman candidate, combined with all the NFL projections. They need to take the pressure off of him. Besides, it's pretty clear Polk and Callier are the best thing going with their offense right now anyways.

I don't see them winning more than four games this year... If even that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2010, 03:46 PM   #36
Robot

thaima1shu's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by spit_bubble
Yeesh... The Dawgs look bad... Really bad.

Locker has regressed from last year... And I knew their defense was a weak spot, but they looked so incredibly small and slow vs Nebraska that they're gonna need to score a ton of points to stay in games...

So they're going to have a tough go of it the rest of the year.

Their best chance is to run the ball more, with Polk and Callier. Locker is crumbling under the weight of being a program savior and heisman candidate, combined with all the NFL projections. They need to take the pressure off of him. Besides, it's pretty clear Polk and Callier are the best thing going with their offense right now anyways.

I don't see them winning more than four games this year... If even that.
Locker is absolutely pressing too much. He needs to relax. We know what he's capable of, he knows it and the coaches know it. He needs to loosen up. The whole damn team needs to loosen up. Everyone is just too uptight and feeling too much pressure. Pac-10 play hasn't even started yet. There's plenty of time to correct some flaws.

The running game needs to be our focus, I agree. Polk is good, and Callier is looking really strong. I love his speed and quickness. He seems to have that speed to get the edge that Polk doesn't. Polk as the power back and Callier as the change of pace speed back sounds good to me.

I still think this is a bowl team. WSU should be a victory. I think we beat UCLA and ASU. The Cal game is winnable. USC will be a difficult game especially on the road, but they look beatable. Oregon State and Stanford at home ... well, I think just being at home will give us a shot in those games. If we were on the road like we were last year against them, we'd probably get creamed again. Arizona and Oregon on the road ... probably losses. So I think we can get to 6 wins, but it won't be easy. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they only get to 4, but they would have to show no improvement whatsoever as the season progresses for that to happen. And I strongly believe they will improve.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:03 PM   #37
Robot

thaima1shu's Arena

One positive thing is that the big time recruits that came up for the game (Moala, Levingston, Sample, Barr) all had good things to say. I think all of them commented on how amazingly loud the crowd was (at least for the first half when we were still in it). And the fans definitely did a great job. It was loud as hell and I couldn't even talk to the person next to me without shouting in their ear. Hell of a lot louder than the USC game last year. It was an intense atmosphere.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:36 PM   #38
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaima1shu
Locker is absolutely pressing too much. He needs to relax. We know what he's capable of, he knows it and the coaches know it...
Yeah, he's capable of... Not being a very capable pocket passer. The coaching staff doesn't seem to recognize that. Of course, maybe they were fooled during the spring when he was showing signs... Against this awful Husky defense!

They need to make things a lot easier for Locker... As said, get the running game going... Run play action off of that... And then run a short passing game too, where Locker can get rid of the ball quickly and not have to stand in the pocket too long. And when you do run longer routes, have Locker roll out... With a short dump off option so the defense can't key on Locker to run.

At this point I only see them favored to win @WSU and at home vs UCLA... Maybe home versus Arizona St. too, depending on how things go. Who knows, maybe the offense comes around... It's gonna need to, and quick.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:27 PM   #39
Robot

thaima1shu's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by spit_bubble
Yeah, he's capable of... Not being a very capable pocket passer. The coaching staff doesn't seem to recognize that. Of course, maybe they were fooled during the spring when he was showing signs... Against this awful Husky defense!

They need to make things a lot easier for Locker... As said, get the running game going... Run play action off of that... And then run a short passing game too, where Locker can get rid of the ball quickly and not have to stand in the pocket too long. And when you do run longer routes, have Locker roll out... With a short dump off option so the defense can't key on Locker to run.

At this point I only see them favored to win @WSU and at home vs UCLA... Maybe home versus Arizona St. too, depending on how things go. Who knows, maybe the offense comes around... It's gonna need to, and quick.
This defense just cannot defend this type of offense, for some reason. Lack of discpline, overall talent, defensive linemen ... whatever it is, teams that run this offense have a field day with our defense.

Totally agree on making things easier on Locker. The running game actually looked solid against Nebraska, at least earlier in the game. We were able to run pretty consistently. Then we started getting stuffed a little bit and then went away from it completely.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:25 PM   #40
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

Their defense just isn't very talented. It seems the only real impact type of player they have is Mason Foster... Maybe Desmond Trufant.

The other advantage of getting the offense going is that it keeps the defense off the field.

Just checked the stats, and only two players with more than 3 catches, Kearse and Aguilar. That's awful, considering they have some talent at WR. Where's D'Andre Goodwin (60 catches in '08)? Where's James Johnson (39 catches last year)?

Considering they are without a good pass catching TE, those numbers are dreadful. Granted, two of the three games have been against tough defenses, including a BYU defense being a season opener on the road... Nonetheless, this offense should be producing more than it has.

I'd like to see more I-Spread... 3 and 4 WR sets out of the shotgun, with quick passes from those sets, and Locker rolling out of the pocket on a regular basis... Taking shots down the field every so often to keep the safeties from creeping up.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football > College Football Official Team Threads »