Home

College Football Off Topic

This is a discussion on College Football Off Topic within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-22-2019, 03:14 PM   #7185
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: College Football Off Topic

Former LSU player's dad received $180,000 from a booster while he was playing there.
I really wonder how much money is being spent in recruiting these days. I know of a guy that gout a couple grand from Idaho 10 years ago. Idaho. IDAHO! I know it isn't always just straight cash. I know some schools take care of it differently like a player's family receiving a much better job opportunity in the area near the school, but I truly just want to know how much money is being spent these days. I'm not naive, I know every school is playing this game, but it is always interesting to see and talk about it when someone is caught.

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2019, 03:24 PM   #7186
Keep the Faith

TripleCrown9's Arena

OVR: 28

It's very lucrative. I bet most 5* recruits get handed a blank check and get asked "what's the number?"

I remember watching the Pony Excess 30 for 30, and Eric Dickerson I believe said he was handed a briefcase full of 100-dollar bills from the University of Texas, and he turned them down because SMU was willing to pay him and buy him a brand new Corvette.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:40 PM   #7187
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

It really is interesting how creative they can get. I know they get a lot more creative than just handing them checks or briefcases of money. Things like bars set up to hold pools of money for players to come and go when they need a few hundred bucks for whatever. Dealerships somehow having these amazing deals for players'/recruits' families. The whole idea that the family including extended family was all able to move down to where their boy plays and all found higher paying jobs within weeks of moving down. It's crazy and I am in awe of it all and only wish Miami tossed around the money like some big dogs do.

ESPN would have you believe that Alabama's A-shaped waterfall or Clemson's huge slide are big recruiting pitches, but anyone with common sense knows what is going on in the recruiting world and you are wasting your energy getting mad at other schools for buying recruits because your team is doing the same thing.

― Plato
Old 06-22-2019, 10:12 PM   #7188
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

The only reason I would ever be open to paying players is to get it out in the open. I think it would kill the current state of the game, but at least this stuff wouldn't happen.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2019, 10:31 PM   #7189
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleCrown9
It's very lucrative. I bet most 5* recruits get handed a blank check and get asked "what's the number?"

I remember watching the Pony Excess 30 for 30, and Eric Dickerson I believe said he was handed a briefcase full of 100-dollar bills from the University of Texas, and he turned them down because SMU was willing to pay him and buy him a brand new Corvette.
I didn't know that. I knew A&M bought him the Trans Am that one of their boosters smashed up after he switched up. Allegedly. I love how he never admitted to getting money and Craig James said as much in the documentary. I really liked Craig James when I just knew him as Eric Dickerson's backfield mate and not as a politician. If you ever get a chance, the book A Payroll to Meet tells the Pony Excess story from a different perspective; you get to know more about the individual boosters, as well as the coaching staff. More top-down history, I guess, which I usually can't endorse, but I love that story and it's made me empathize with SMU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
It really is interesting how creative they can get. I know they get a lot more creative than just handing them checks or briefcases of money. Things like bars set up to hold pools of money for players to come and go when they need a few hundred bucks for whatever. Dealerships somehow having these amazing deals for players'/recruits' families. The whole idea that the family including extended family was all able to move down to where their boy plays and all found higher paying jobs within weeks of moving down. It's crazy and I am in awe of it all and only wish Miami tossed around the money like some big dogs do.

ESPN would have you believe that Alabama's A-shaped waterfall or Clemson's huge slide are big recruiting pitches, but anyone with common sense knows what is going on in the recruiting world and you are wasting your energy getting mad at other schools for buying recruits because your team is doing the same thing.
Yea it's wild how ESPN will talk about Tua's whole family moving to Tuscaloosa and his younger brother being a star QB at a high school there, and nobody brings up how expensive it is to relocate. It's like $800 to fly from Honolulu to Vegas. Imagine moving a whole family all the way to the *other* side of the country. Not to visit but to stay. It's absurd how hidden in plain site the whole thing is. Remember in the U 30 for 30 where Uncle Luke responds to the question all sarcastically: "Nah, I never bought nobody shoes or something too eat so they wouldn't go hungry." (Paraphrasing) I loved that. I'm not mad at the money changing hands at all, I just hate the arbitrary way the NCAA deals with punishment.

Quote:
UConn is re-joining the Big East for all sports, and since it no longer exists in football, they could join the MAC, C-USA, or even go back to independent.
I wonder what the worst of these would be. I feel like independent. Feel like CUSA would be the best move.
Old 06-22-2019, 10:38 PM   #7190
Keep the Faith

TripleCrown9's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofx94
I didn't know that. I knew A&M bought him the Trans Am that one of their boosters smashed up after he switched up. Allegedly. I love how he never admitted to getting money and Craig James said as much in the documentary. I really liked Craig James when I just knew him as Eric Dickerson's backfield mate and not as a politician. If you ever get a chance, the book A Payroll to Meet tells the Pony Excess story from a different perspective; you get to know more about the individual boosters, as well as the coaching staff. More top-down history, I guess, which I usually can't endorse, but I love that story and it's made me empathize with SMU.

Yea it's wild how ESPN will talk about Tua's whole family moving to Tuscaloosa and his younger brother being a star QB at a high school there, and nobody brings up how expensive it is to relocate. It's like $800 to fly from Honolulu to Vegas. Imagine moving a whole family all the way to the *other* side of the country. Not to visit but to stay. It's absurd how hidden in plain site the whole thing is. Remember in the U 30 for 30 where Uncle Luke responds to the question all sarcastically: "Nah, I never bought nobody shoes or something too eat so they wouldn't go hungry." (Paraphrasing) I loved that. I'm not mad at the money changing hands at all, I just hate the arbitrary way the NCAA deals with punishment.

I wonder what the worst of these would be. I feel like independent. Feel like CUSA would be the best move.
I stopped liking Craig James when he and his whiny son got Mike Leach fired from Texas Tech.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:12 PM   #7191
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
I stopped liking Craig James when he and his whiny son got Mike Leach fired from Texas Tech.
Yea I was thinking that too, but that was a confusing situation to me and I wasn't there so I'm not gonna judge about it. Worked out for Leach
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2019, 11:17 PM   #7192
Keep the Faith

TripleCrown9's Arena

And Texas Tech hasn't been the same

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »