Home

2018-2019 Coaching Carousel

This is a discussion on 2018-2019 Coaching Carousel within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-31-2018, 06:35 PM   #225
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: 2018-2019 Coaching Carousel

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
For those blasting Diaz for being Temple's head ball coach for about 15 seconds, do we even know the language of his contract? Do you get a certain amount of days as a 'trial period'? It has nothing to do with whether what he did was ethical/morally right or whatnot, but I'm just naive and curious about how these contracts work. I guess if Miami is truly on the hook for that buyout, that sort of answers the question.
Its not unusual for contracts to take months to get the details worked out so if I were guesstimating, I'd bet Temple hadnt actually signed him to anything. Before Nick Saban left the Dolphins to come to Bama, a couple weeks before, the a.d. at the time, Mal Moore, went up to West Virginia and had a deal in place with Rich Rodriguez to replace Mike Shula. Mal got on a plane and left Rich Rod behind to say his goodbyes. Rich Rod then had a change of heart and wound up staying. Paul Finebaum excoriated Mal relentlessly for not bringing Rich Rod back on the plane immediately. Also, before Shula was hired, Mike Price worked for months at Bama, for free, never would sign a contract, and was fired in May(?) of '03. I still maintain Bama would have kept him if he had just signed his damn contract. I believe that irked the university as much as his date with Destiny. But then again, after Mike Dubose's scandal, maybe they would have dumped Price anyways.

A Work in Progress
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-01-2019, 12:18 AM   #226
Keep the Faith

TripleCrown9's Arena

OVR: 28

Dana Holgorsen is leaving West Virginia for Houston.
Old 01-01-2019, 12:35 AM   #227
Hall Of Fame

superjames1992's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleCrown9
Dana Holgorsen is leaving West Virginia for Houston.
Looks like it. Glad that’s over with; I didn’t expect things to progress so quickly.

I hope they go after Neal Brown from Troy.

I’m not sure how to feel about the Holgorsen era. It had the fantastic 70-33 victory over Clemson in the Orange Bowl in his first year, but every year since has been lacking in some form or fashion and the team wasn’t even that good that year (5-2 in the Big East). The teams had a tendency to collapse late in the year. At the same time, his teams made Bowl games in every year but 2013. It wasn’t a bad era, but things could certainly be better...or worse. Change may be good.

0-7 against Oklahoma won’t cut it in this conference, although the next coach might not fare any better. Next year is going to be tough.

Last edited by superjames1992; 01-01-2019 at 12:42 AM.
Old 01-01-2019, 01:02 AM   #228

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

@BruceFeldmanCFB
Follow Follow @BruceFeldmanCFB
More
BREAKING: #WVU’s Dana Holgorsen is expected to become the next head coach at #Houston, per sources. UH offered Holgorsen the kind of deal that WVU brass wouldn’t at $20 million over five years. The deal is expected to be wrapped up in the next 36 hours. SB Nation was first on it.

11:28 PM - 31 Dec 2018
Old 01-01-2019, 02:11 AM   #229
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

What's his buyout?

Sent from my SM-T837P using Operation Sports mobile app
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 01-01-2019, 03:44 AM   #230
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
Its not unusual for contracts to take months to get the details worked out so if I were guesstimating, I'd bet Temple hadnt actually signed him to anything. Before Nick Saban left the Dolphins to come to Bama, a couple weeks before, the a.d. at the time, Mal Moore, went up to West Virginia and had a deal in place with Rich Rodriguez to replace Mike Shula. Mal got on a plane and left Rich Rod behind to say his goodbyes. Rich Rod then had a change of heart and wound up staying. Paul Finebaum excoriated Mal relentlessly for not bringing Rich Rod back on the plane immediately. Also, before Shula was hired, Mike Price worked for months at Bama, for free, never would sign a contract, and was fired in May(?) of '03. I still maintain Bama would have kept him if he had just signed his damn contract. I believe that irked the university as much as his date with Destiny. But then again, after Mike Dubose's scandal, maybe they would have dumped Price anyways.
No contracts are done before the hiring. No agent is going to let his client start working without a signed contract. Schools can pull out and the coach will have already cut ties with his current team. There may be a verbal agreement, but until it is signed, both parties can change their mind.

The contracts are all standard, so it only takes a few days at most to get it done.

His buyout at Temple is 4 million and they have too pay it. Generally there state laws about contracts having a 3 day cancellation period, but it varies by state and I don't know if it would apply to job employment.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2019, 11:55 AM   #231
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

While it looks silly Miami has to pay $4 mil to promote their DC, its not a huge deal. Like I've stated before, having money is not an issue for Miami, it's the lack of using it that properly that has been. Paying $4 mil isn't going to hurt the program all that much. Thankfully when Richt arrived the admin started pumping more money into the program and it looks like they're going to start pumping even more into it.

Ultimately, though, Richt suddenly quitting is what caught everyone off guard and made the situation strange. Manny was likely going to be HC here in a few years if things went well at Temple. I guess Richt quitting so suddenly sped that up and Blake James wanted him in and now. It's a green hire, but so far he's done everything that the fans have wanted in firing every single offensive coach and saying he wants a spread offense that attacks like his defense.

We've seen plenty of coaches say all the right things so hopefully his performance as HC here is just as good as his performance at DC.

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-01-2019, 11:56 PM   #232
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

So now that Urban Meyer is "retired," when and where does he surface again as a head coach? I'm thinking 2 or 3 years and who knows, but Southern Cal, Florida State, and Notre Dame are some options. If the Ryan Day era doesn't go well, I could see a triumphant return to Ohio State also.

EDIT: Succeeding Saban at Bama is an interesting idea also given Saban is about 10-15 years Meyer's senior.

Last edited by WaitTilNextYear; 01-01-2019 at 11:59 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »