Home

What is a dream game you wish would happen?

This is a discussion on What is a dream game you wish would happen? within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-25-2021, 10:06 PM   #145
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: What is a dream game you wish would happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by studbucket
I know that sports games have been offering up some half-baked and dissatisfying story modes, but I yearn for something better.

Choose a sport - perhaps football. It's a single player career mode that combines aspects of three types of games:

1) Sports simulation - make it somewhat realistic and difficult, perhaps using the engine of an existing sports game.
2) Open world - think of the freedom provided in a game like GTA to explore, move around, and own property
3) Choice-based RPG - your decisions matter and have an impact on the world.

So you start in high school, work your way to college, and the pros...or myabe not, if you flame out along the way. You get to make decisions along the way: stay out later and party, get benefits X, Y, and Z, but you might perform worse at practice, or maybe you'd miss practice.

Go to class and get good grades? That's good, but that minigame sucks (who wants to take quizzes in game or study), so you can skip that and play poker with your friends (that mini-game doesn't suck), but if your grades tank, you suffer the consequences.

Doing well in your career gets you money, which can be used for not only nicer possessions, but also to do more. Maybe you can purchase businesses, unlocking parts of the world.

This is all half-baked and there's a lot more thought that would need to go into it, but we all love sports and like to escape into a "fantasy sports world" - why not combine the best of other genres to make that happen?
The problem with single player career modes is that they are treated like modern "Campaign" modes. Sports games now are heavily geared towards Online. And when you think of Online-centric games like Call of Duty, you're only getting a 3-6 hour single player Campaign mode. That's how sports games are now with career modes, where it is 2-4 hours of a predictable linear cheesy story. Also the problem is they are always trying ways to monetize the mode.

A lot of what you said were in the PS2/Xbox era of NCAA Football and Madden. That NCAA had majors where you had to pass or get a suspension and you could earn Academic All American. PS2 Madden had it where you do stuff off the field. I never played NHL, but from watching a few videos of Be a Pro, it wasn't that bad. The Show's Be a Pro seemed okay. NBA Live's The One concept was actually very good, just the gameplay and the League dragged it down.

So, you can take bits and pieces from other games and come out with a good career mode. But, you would have to commit a ton of resources to it. In today's landscape, MyCareer is "successful " because of the heavy online presence. RTTS is still well regarded because it is built on a good foundation. Madden has really struggled with career modes since the end of the PS2 Superstar mode. Longshot and FoTF have all been poorly received because it has been treated like a campaign mode and not a career mode
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-06-2021, 02:54 AM   #146
Rookie

trxalboy's Arena

OVR: 0

NBA 2K16, with the servers on now, that's all I ask for lol
Old 11-13-2021, 12:10 AM   #147
MVP

studbucket's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by trxalboy
NBA 2K16, with the servers on now, that's all I ask for lol

My first "dynasty" that I wrote about on OS got killed because those servers shut down and I had no idea. Had no way to recover that MyLeague. It killed me to lose all that progress and story.

🏈RIFLE - a dystopian football league.

🏀Bringing Back the Buzz - my first dynasty.
Old 10-19-2022, 04:07 PM   #148
Just started!

When I have free time, I enjoy playing cyberpunk with Wilbur Soot as the soundtrack. It drives me bonkers and is awesome.

Last edited by davidwise111; 02-14-2023 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-19-2022, 07:17 PM   #149
All Star

OVR: 13

Every day that goes by is another day that a new "Jade Empire" is not being released.
Old 10-20-2022, 01:56 PM   #150
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwise111
When I have free time, I enjoy playing cyberpunk with Wilbur Soot as the soundtrack. It drives me bonkers and is awesome.
I read that initially as Willard Scott, the old NBC weatherman. Now that would be strange indeed.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 10-20-2022, 04:19 PM   #151
Just started!

I love to play technoblade games and also used technoblade phone cases. In my free time, I always play fighting and adventure games.

Last edited by zhaopattison; 01-10-2023 at 10:44 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2022, 06:25 PM   #152
All Star

Bard's Arena

OVR: 7

Give me a fusion of Ark and Minecraft and Age of Civilization.

Realistic graphics, start from the beginning building and forging. Develop over time until you have a GTA like society of different countries and continents of modern times.

Would be insane, but I'd never put the game down!

Start from 3,000 years ago and get to 2030...or further? Just something insane and fun.

Like starting at Ark and ending in Cyberpunk.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »