Home

Providing Detail and Clarity to Changes Found in NCAA Football 12 Dynasty Mode

This is a discussion on Providing Detail and Clarity to Changes Found in NCAA Football 12 Dynasty Mode within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-23-2011, 04:02 PM   #89
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Providing Detail and Clarity to Changes Found in NCAA Football 12 Dynasty Mode

I will admit that I still am happy we are getting Coach Carousel and from a few things I have learned about it in this thread I am excited a little bit again, but I still think the first thing EA should have worked on was coach's ratings. That is the most important aspect to the whole CC.

It will be nice to see coaches moving around, school changing schemes, etc. but a school like Bama will stay on top if the coaches they hire are all an A- or higher. I can see the possibility of Bama hiring an option coach, but the coach before was a pro-style, so they will struggle the first few years, but that would be a bit drastic for Bama to even hire a coach with that different of a scheme, wouldn't it?

Also, I did not know it took 2k around 4 years to get their CC the way it was in 2k8. I don't expect EA to reach that level in one year, but technology has improved and I personally don't think it should take EA 4 years.

And for the people who don't know how important ratings matter to a CC, then I can tell you, Roggie can tell you, and anyone else who has played 2k8 can tell you.

In my Online Legacy(Dynasty) we are in year 7. I am Chattanooga. In year one I had a season of 15-17, which is pretty decent considering what I came into. After that I went 19-14. Then since then I have won at least 20 games a season. It isn't because I have mastered the game and it is easy to play now, but because my ratings have all increased and I am now recruiting better players that fit my scheme perfectly. Whenever I am able to progress my coach, I always do defense and charisma in order to get better players and to have a strong defense. When hiring my assistants I like them to be offensive minded so that my team balances out.

But those are not the only reasons I have improved so much. I am in the Souther conference, a small conference, so I see more coaching changes than a conference like the ACC or Big 10 which will see a coaching change very rarely, once a few years because they are consistently good teams. So I see teams constantly hiring coaches trying to get that one guy that fits perfectly in the conference. No one has really found it in my conference except for the Citadel. They were the worst team in the first few seasons of the legacy. They averaged around 40% attendance every game and were in the bottom 3 of the standings every year. They recently made a hire and it was the perfect move. They have went from the worst team in the conference to now being tied Overall rating wise as the best team with me and are averaging 90% attendance now. The season before they made the hire they had 1 win in the entire season. Something like 1-25. They made that hire and three years later they are sitting at 17-2 because their coach has the best ratings in the conference and he recruits strictly to his scheme.

That example there is why ratings are so important. I want to see coaches specialize in certain areas. Rich Rod would have an A offensive rating, but his defensive rating would be terrible. So, if he wanted success, then he would need a Defensive Coordinator with something of at least a B to balance the team out.

In 2k8 you can have coaches(assistants and head coaches) who just can recruit like crazy, but nothing else, a coach who has teams score 80+ points a game, but can't play defense at all, you can have a coach who has a high teaching rating, so he can survive on recruiting 3 starts because they will progress so much under him that they end up being as good if not better than the 4 stars other schools in his conference get. Coaches can be average at everything, coaches can be great at scouting, but everything else is terrible for them.

NCAA needs that. I want coaches to have personalities like that. We need Lane Kiffin to be represented in the game correctly. He shouldn't be the greatest offensive or defensive coach, but he should have at least a B+ Recruiting rating. Frank Beamer should have at least a B+ Teaching rating. Al Golden should have at least a B Charisma rating. Then the greatest out there, Nick Saban, should be at least a B in every single category and he should be the only coach out there like that. The Saban type coaches should be a rarity in dynasty.

― Plato

Last edited by canes21; 05-23-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:04 PM   #90
Rookie

hkwforAUTigers's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Providing Detail and Clarity to Changes Found in NCAA Football 12 Dynasty Mode

I am amazed that this is getting any real positive feedback. Why did they basically ignore the off-season (again) to add a mode that is mostly cosmetic?
Sure CC is a decent addition, but it wont be really fun until they implement it properly in a few years. I know they had to start somewhere, but they shouldn't make this the premier feature if it is really just a stepping stone to something better a few years down the road. Right now dynasty really doesn't look that great to me....
no medical redshirts?
no spring game?
no spring training AT ALL?
no editing players?
not sure about if players progress correctly (size or ratings)?
Might be a "no buy" this year. ugh
Old 05-23-2011, 04:08 PM   #91
MVP

TMJOHNS18's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Coach ratings are not in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGerman
EA has given us CC, and this will be there first year for both the feature, and any sort of Coach Mode.
Isn't Dynasty already a coaching mode? Honestly, the whole CC they added this year is more or less just adding the ability to control your look (versus just changing your name) and adding the option to start as a coordinator, though once your HC it seems like it's back to the same Dynasty that it was before. There's more depth to the mode for sure, but it's not like in NCAA 11 you were just controlling a school or acting as an AD.

Big difference so far is that you can get fired in this years game lol.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2011, 04:08 PM   #92
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roggie
@Donovan Warren example: Not a good one, since he left early and went undrafted. He didn't really develop them. He had the talent, but he personally never helped them improve. His D coordinator worked with them, since RR admitted to spending 98% of his time with the offense. Which is why we need a little more than one broad prestige rating.
I couldn't think of the rest of the players names but D Warren is actually in the NFL. Doesn't matter where or if they were drafted, he's good enough to play in the NFL. It goes back to personnel, you have to recruit guys that fit the philosophy and Rich Rod wasn't afforded the time to turnover that roster (his own fault b/c of his own antics). In his third year they looked promising and looked to be slowly turning the corner but b/c he was drawing heat from boosters and alumni he was cut short. That's not indicative of his ability to coach on either side of the ball. That's politics. And now he is less of a draw (prestige went from A to around B-). NFL talent doesn't automatically equal wins.

But let's take an even deeper look at Warren since you downplayed him. He was a top recruit in 2007 and looked promising in his Freshman year under Carr (same year Carr was fired). So let's say he came in rated a 82 ovr and in the offseason went up to an 86. So Rich Rod comes in his first year at Michigan with an A- prestige rating. Due to personnel issues they went 3-9 his first year. They couldn't run the offense he wanted b/c they lacked a Dual-Threat QB and the defensive personnel wasn't to his liking. That was Warren's Sophomore year and individually he did okay but the whole defense looked bad b/c of the change in scheme. B/c of a bad year he only progresses 4 or 5 pts in the offseason to an 91 ovr in his final offseason and Rich Rod's prestige drops to B (due to the horrific first year lol).

Season 3 (junior year) comes along for Warren is an 91 to open the season. Rich Rod now has had a FULL recruiting year to get in the personnel he needed (Denard Robinson and Tate Forcier) and they look way better BUT because it's a group of young players, especially with an freshman QB (freshmen QB's had low awareness resulting in sporadic play), they struggle to go .500 (they were 5-7). Now the hot seat has become hotter and Warren decides he's not sticking around for next year. Warren leaves as a 92 or 93 and goes undrafted but still makes an NFL team. He progressed 10 or 11 pts in his career. Warren still progressed but only by 10 as opposed to maybe 15 pts or higher b/c his coach constantly got worst while he was there. Rich Rod going down after year 1 affected Warren's progression into his junior year. He's in the draft, goes undrafted but winds up on an NFL roster.

YEAR 1: 82-86 (Fr to Soph) under Carr (B+)
YEAR 2: 86-91 (Soph-Jr) under Rod (who had a terrible year, went from A to an B)
YEAR 3: 91 (Jr) leaves for NFL (no offseason)

Is that not the case in real life also? Rich Rod came in as an A coach, had a horrible year b/c his scheme was a terrible fit for the personnel that was left to him. He drops in prestige, can't recruit as well or progress his players as well as a result. He goes from a year 1 A, to year 2 B, to year 3 C+ and gets fired.

Also, Jonas Mouton LB from Michigan was drafted 61 overall this year. Brandon Graham was drafted in the first round a year before that and Stevie Brown (Safety) was drafted in that same year. All the under Rich Rod. I think you're mistakingly over looking the fact that Rich Rod was there for 3 YEARS...not 4, not 5, but 3. Rich Rod's situation is VERY unique in that Carr left a mess, Rod had a scheme that didn't fit and because the scheme worked so terribly the first year for him it was an uphill battle that he couldn't win. He lost alot of appeal after that first year. Not to mentions the recruiting violations and alumni problems he had.

Last edited by PikeJR23; 05-23-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:17 PM   #93
Rookie

hkwforAUTigers's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMJOHNS18
Isn't Dynasty already a coaching mode? Honestly, the whole CC they added this year is more or less just adding the ability to control your look (versus just changing your name) and adding the option to start as a coordinator, though once your HC it seems like it's back to the same Dynasty that it was before. There's more depth to the mode for sure, but it's not like in NCAA 11 you were just controlling a school or acting as an AD.

Big difference so far is that you can get fired in this years game lol.
Sort of what i was thinking. Since you cant control who your coordinaters are and must recruit for all the coaches on your team, couldnt you do this in 2011 by just simming either offense/defense and accepting jobs as you felt was realistsic?
As for the CPU having coaches and impacted games/teams: wont the best teams end up with the best coaches? therefor keeping the good teams good and the bad temas bad, which is what the CC aspect is supposed to lesson? Could somebody explain how this worked out in College Hoops 2K8? did the best teams just get the best coaches?
Old 05-23-2011, 04:19 PM   #94
MVP

Roggie's Arena

OVR: 17

How many of those guys did Rich Rod recruit? Warren was there before him, if I'm not mistaken (RS Junior), Graham, Brown, and Mouton weren't his recruits either. He recruited 2, maybe 3, guys that look like they could be NFL quality. A team like Michigan should have 2-3 A YEAR.

And did you just use NCAA ratings to justify a coach in real life? Um... I'm not even sure how to respond to that. A guy worthy of a 91 overall rating, especially a corner, would NEVER go undrafted. He was more like an 83 or so who needed another year badly.
Chicago Bulls
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Detroit Lions

Old 05-23-2011, 04:44 PM   #95
Rookie

OVR: 3

I am generally glad with the direction of NCAA 12. But why can't EA ever implement something right? Why do they always have a new additions that aren't really complete? It's the same thing as with pro-tak and so on.

Madden's 12 franchise additions show if you want to do something properly take two years so you don't deliver something half finished. It's always the same: We got CC that sounds good from a marketing standpoint but there is really nothing behind it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2011, 04:57 PM   #96
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roggie
How many of those guys did Rich Rod recruit? Warren was there before him, if I'm not mistaken (RS Junior), Graham, Brown, and Mouton weren't his recruits either. He recruited 2, maybe 3, guys that look like they could be NFL quality. A team like Michigan should have 2-3 A YEAR.

And did you just use NCAA ratings to justify a coach in real life? Um... I'm not even sure how to respond to that. A guy worthy of a 91 overall rating, especially a corner, would NEVER go undrafted. He was more like an 83 or so who needed another year badly.
What I was doing was showing that in the game the Rich Rod/Michigan scenario could be repeated. Not that "Oh he had some 90 ovr players so he has to be a great coach". Why you getting salty? lol. Relax breh. You're not using logic, you're stating that Rich Rod hasn't produced any NFL defensive players, I showed he has and how his situation can be duplicated in the video game. You also said he should churn out 2-3 a year. Well in his case he was only there 3 years and didn't get in the players he wanted until after year 1. Lloyd Carr didn't leave the best players and he wasn't recruiting that well. Michigan already was declining UNDER CARR. So when Rodriguez got there it was a sinking ship and in his first full recruiting season (after a 3-9) he pulled in some good recruits on both sides.

Also, we don't know the effect a Defensive coordinator's prestige has on progression yet either. So relax and wait for more info.

And a 91 CB would go undrafted in years past when importing from NCAA to Madden so idk what you're talking about. And he was not a 83, I would think that's obvious by the fact he's in the NFL. An 83 is not NFL caliber, that's a solid college starter who has no shot at the NFL.

Last edited by PikeJR23; 05-23-2011 at 05:03 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »