Home

NCAA Football 14 Playbook 4: Dynasty - Part 1 of 3

This is a discussion on NCAA Football 14 Playbook 4: Dynasty - Part 1 of 3 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-29-2013, 08:47 PM   #65
Rookie

Strategizer's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: NCAA Football 14 Playbook 4: Dynasty - Part 1 of 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggestKJ
Coach skill is gimmicky, there's no way around it. And it does take away from the uniqueness of certain coaches. All one has to do is choose the same skill upgrades and BAM, Coach A is just like Coach Z from another dynasty/or team.

In real life, believe it or not EA, coaching developments are not influenced by modifiers or "boosts". Their development is influenced by the coaching tree they come from or the coaches they surround themselves with. A young defensive coordinator could stand to learn some skills from a smart, experienced coach. Implement an age factor. A coach in his 30's is likely to gather knowledge easier than a coach in his 50's who is set in his ways. Something like this should be influenced on a natural progression rather than controlled by the user. This is a glorious cop-out from EA and them trying to find a quick fix to coach progression.

As far as that clutch thing goes, something like that should be influenced by three things first:

1. Individual players leadership ratings
2. Experience rating
3. Home crowd factor.

Thankfully, it is a gimmick that may not need to be used or activated. I just wish they gave us natural coach progressions.
Well as HC, you get to select the skills your OC's and DC's have. And if you're successful, they will gain levels and eventually get jobs elsewhere. So you are kind of grooming them.

It would be an interesting thing for the future if, depending on the skills you give them, the coordinators would have a certain tendency. Say, if you have the OC focus on passing skills, they could be labelled "Pass Heavy" or some such. Then, when they get to be a HC, the skills given to their OC would also be the same or similar pass heavy skills. This could be one way to institute a coaching tree type progression.

I also don't agree that the coach skills are "gimmicky", whatever that means. I know this is almost a four letter word to some of you, but this is still a video game. Some real life things can be simulated by "gimmicks", and this is one area I am fine with being simulated with a video gamey (RPG) mechanic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-29-2013, 08:58 PM   #66
Rookie

Strategizer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
I couldn't disagree with this more. The coach skills is the best way to ADD uniqueness to coaches that we've ever had in this game.
And by my calculations, for HC, there are 54 skill points you can assign (18 skills x 3 points for each skill). So unless the level cap is up to 50, which I very much doubt, and assuming you only get one skill point per level, you will not come close to maxing out stats. Heck, if the cap is 25, you won't even be able to max out one tree. That leaves a ton of room for diversity in skill point allocation.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:58 PM   #67
MVP

Cowboy008's Arena

OVR: 5

After reading it I already know that I'm not going to use some of those perks.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:03 PM   #68
Rookie

Strategizer's Arena

Actually I take it back. It looks like the max for HC is 54 and coordinators is 27. So you can max out the trees. Hopefully it takes a long, long time to get there.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:04 PM   #69
MVP

Cowboy008's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strategizer
Actually I take it back. It looks like the max for HC is 54 and coordinators is 27. So you can max out the trees. Hopefully it takes a long, long time to get there.
It depends on what setting you put it at.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:05 PM   #70
Why Not Us?

The_Wise_One's Arena

OVR: 27
It is inexcusable for them to mess up these coach skills. It's the ONLY new concept/feature in dynasty. You know they spent a lot of time on it.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:10 PM   #71
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strategizer
I imagine that it'll be quick, but I really hope that it takes a long time. I know I'm not in the norm, but I'm in 2023 of my offline dynasty and 2022 of my OD so I hope that you need to get out into the 10+ season range to even get close to maxing them out. However, I know that the vast majority of EA's customer base won't play that long so EA needs to cater to them so it'll be much quicker than that.

At least there's a slider for coach progression (I think with slow, normal, and fast settings) and I hope it works well. With this setting on "slow" I'm hoping that even if I play 15+ seasons I still won't have a maxed out coach, no matter how well I do.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-29-2013, 09:19 PM   #72
Rookie

Strategizer's Arena

Glad to see about the coach progression slider. That makes me feel better about maxing out the skills. Because I don't want to max out in 10 years, even with some national championships.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »