Home

Player speed parity scale

This is a discussion on Player speed parity scale within the EA Sports College Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > EA Sports College Football Sliders
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-29-2024, 05:40 PM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Player speed parity scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle
I like what it did for return game, but my running game is now unstoppable especially with outside runs. I’ll try other sliders to see if can fix it, otherwise I’ll need to raise.

I’ve only played 2 games with it at 25 so far but with 2 really good running teams vs. 2 crappy defenses. But the results were what I’d expect out of those matchups. Going to try another game against a stronger opponent and see how it goes. If it’s still easy I will up that slider to 30 and go from there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2024, 06:13 PM   #42
MVP

SlyBelle's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HealthyScratch
I’ve only played 2 games with it at 25 so far but with 2 really good running teams vs. 2 crappy defenses. But the results were what I’d expect out of those matchups. Going to try another game against a stronger opponent and see how it goes. If it’s still easy I will up that slider to 30 and go from there

I am using Penn State and most of the issues I saw was specifically using outside runs. So if you do more inside runs, the issue may not be as pronounced, but if my guy got outside, his speed kicked in and nobody could catch him right away. Of course PSU RB is considered a better back, so that factors in as well I would guess.
Old 07-29-2024, 06:18 PM   #43
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle
I am using Penn State and most of the issues I saw was specifically using outside runs. So if you do more inside runs, the issue may not be as pronounced, but if my guy got outside, his speed kicked in and nobody could catch him right away. Of course PSU RB is considered a better back, so that factors in as well I would guess.

I was Michigan vs. Air Force and Donovan Edwards ran amok, which I expected. Next game I play I’m going to swap teams and see how I do with Air Force’s backs.

Old 07-29-2024, 06:49 PM   #44
Rookie

OVR: 1

My sliders were not created for user controlled players. I either do CPU vs. CPU or I call plays on defense.
Old 07-29-2024, 09:48 PM   #45
Rookie

Ive read this entire thread, and the 25 Spd parity seems interesting, but what I don't understand is why, after reading all the Slider Threads that are posted, why no one has uses a Spd Parity anywhere near 25. The lowest I seen was 50, and most of them were over 70.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2024, 10:34 PM   #46
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog Frank
Ive read this entire thread, and the 25 Spd parity seems interesting, but what I don't understand is why, after reading all the Slider Threads that are posted, why no one has uses a Spd Parity anywhere near 25. The lowest I seen was 50, and most of them were over 70.
Because that's what EA apparently told everyone years ago.

I personally don't believe anyone at EA actually took the time to test that out.

I mean for crying out loud they don't even talk about their own in game sliders so I find it hard to believe they came up with concrete evidence that the player parity slider has to be set high.

But to answer your question there's quite a few posters who utilize the lower end of the threshold and still get good results. I may be in the minority here but I think the lower thresholds help the animations better and makes the game speed overall feel like the old slow speed game play slider.

EA is calling it Player Speed Parity but I went back to the older NCAA games to compare speed on the 3 levels we had to what the player speed parity represents today.

I believe all they did was actually Lable it a different name

We still got Fast, Medium and Slow game play settings Depending on your Player Parity Slider

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14
Old 07-29-2024, 11:18 PM   #47
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers
Because that's what EA apparently told everyone years ago.

I personally don't believe anyone at EA actually took the time to test that out.

I mean for crying out loud they don't even talk about their own in game sliders so I find it hard to believe they came up with concrete evidence that the player parity slider has to be set high.

But to answer your question there's quite a few posters who utilize the lower end of the threshold and still get good results. I may be in the minority here but I think the lower thresholds help the animations better and makes the game speed overall feel like the old slow speed game play slider.

EA is calling it Player Speed Parity but I went back to the older NCAA games to compare speed on the 3 levels we had to what the player speed parity represents today.

I believe all they did was actually Lable it a different name

We still got Fast, Medium and Slow game play settings Depending on your Player Parity Slider
It isn't because EA said so. Many of us started using a higher threshold a few years ago because it helped with bigger plays not happening as frequently since everyone was closer in speed.

It looked right, felt right, and was a net positive to the gameplay. I don't think anyone bothered testing the numbers behind it for awhile. It was just purely off of feel and wanting to help the defense out in the game. Then Aestis showed up with actual numbers with some rough testing he did.

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...threshold.html

Quote:
Spd Threshold: 50
Avg WR (90 spd, 90 acc, 90 agi): 4.80s to run 40 yds
Avg OL (65 spd, 77 acc, 62 agi): 5.87s (22.2% slower)

Benchmarked against NFL combine #s over a 10y stretch, we ideally want to see an avg OL run a 16.9% slower time than the avg WR. In other words, the gap between fast & slow players on default 50 is too high (could have told you that just from eyeballing it though).

After testing across various spots, tentatively I find 95 to be the closest to the NFL:

Spd Threshold: 95
Avg WR (90 spd, 90 acc, 90 agi): 4.70s
Avg OL (65 spd, 77 acc, 62 agi): 5.50s
17.0% gap

While the timing isn't exact science (reliant on my hand-timed self), keep in mind I timed each sprint 5-10x to make sure I was taking the midpoint of my hand times instead of something flukishly fast/slow. So I feel this is overall fairly reliable even if there could be variance by a few hundredths of a second.

For context, last year we landed around 70-75. So, 95 would be the highest setting we've ever used. A few years ago I think 85-90 ended up being a sweet spot but recently it's been closer to 70-75.
Later on in the thread adem came in and dropped this nugget:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
I don't buy every year, but I ran the same years when I have and 95 has generally been right every year I have. Also, I was there when they put it in... 95 was known in house as the most realistic.
Adem also made a thread sharing some slider tidbits from his time working on Madden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Two quick things, and I'll edit and add as I think of more... I don't know why I never did this before:/

First, and Aestis has an exceptional thread on this: "Realistic" speed threshold is 95. Always has been. EA is aware, it was done on purpose this way, because the average user's perception of how fast players are doesn't really match the truth. NFL players are ALL atheletes.

For the same reason, defender catch rate is purposefully set VERY high. Again, probably the most common user complaint is defenders dropping interceptions. The vast majority of interception chances in the NFL are dropped. Now, unlike speed threshold, I can't give an exact number...it varies year to year based on animation frequencies, and hard code tuning. It's usually somewhere between 20 and 35, though for Madden 21 it was 8.

As I think of more stuff I know from working there, I'll pass it on, but both of those were on my mind at the moment.

I guess technically an ex-EA employee told us the higher threshold was better and more authentic, but most of us had already been using 75 or higher by then. It was when Aestis did the rough testing that showed some numbers and adem reinforced what he was saying that led to some of us going even higher with the threshold. I fell in love with it being so high and have stuck with it since. It doesn't solve everything wrong with the game, but I think it does help out multiple important areas at no cost to gameplay balance. It can make some animations be wonky at times, but I personally will take that trade when the majority of animations look fine and overall game balance is in what I think is a significantly better place.

― Plato
Old 07-29-2024, 11:58 PM   #48
Rookie

bDoddleS's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
It isn't because EA said so. Many of us started using a higher threshold a few years ago because it helped with bigger plays not happening as frequently since everyone was closer in speed.

It looked right, felt right, and was a net positive to the gameplay. I don't think anyone bothered testing the numbers behind it for awhile. It was just purely off of feel and wanting to help the defense out in the game. Then Aestis showed up with actual numbers with some rough testing he did.

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...threshold.html

Later on in the thread adem came in and dropped this nugget:

Adem also made a thread sharing some slider tidbits from his time working on Madden.

I guess technically an ex-EA employee told us the higher threshold was better and more authentic, but most of us had already been using 75 or higher by then. It was when Aestis did the rough testing that showed some numbers and adem reinforced what he was saying that led to some of us going even higher with the threshold. I fell in love with it being so high and have stuck with it since. It doesn't solve everything wrong with the game, but I think it does help out multiple important areas at no cost to gameplay balance. It can make some animations be wonky at times, but I personally will take that trade when the majority of animations look fine and overall game balance is in what I think is a significantly better place.
If 95 is the sweet spot for getting closer to realistic NFL speed parity, I wonder if something like 75-85 would be good for college? Since not everyone on Saturday is the athlete we see on Sundays.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > EA Sports College Football Sliders »