Home

NCAA Football 13 Gameplay Video - Maryland vs. Michigan

This is a discussion on NCAA Football 13 Gameplay Video - Maryland vs. Michigan within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-24-2012, 03:46 PM   #73
Rookie

RidirkulousPokes's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NCAA Football 13 Gameplay Video - Maryland vs. Michigan

I'm a pretty big presentation guy and I am pretty tired of being let down year after year because EA Sports can't capture the pageantry, tradition, and sounds of college football. There is no other sport like it when it comes to Saturday tailgates and during the game.

I have seen nothing so far in any of the videos to show that they have upgraded their presentation. Sure, a Rece Davis update is all well and good, but that will get repetitive. I am looking for a whole new crowd and actual interaction in the game.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #74
MVP

Ziza9Noles94's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: New Gameplay Video Maryland @ Michigan (5/24)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skull
scary if they're still in WIP state, considering the game should be getting sent for cert in 1-2 weeks
The videos being WIP doesn't mean the devs are still working on these things. It just means that the videos are in an un-refined final state, probably taken from older builds.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:50 PM   #75
Pro

jp7588's Arena

OVR: 6
Is it just me, or did anyone else think that the "lead wr to space" part didn't show anything that we couldn't have done last year?

The wr shouldn't react that quickly to the trajectory of that throw, as soon as the QB released it seems as if he knew exactly where to go. IRL the WR would probably only have enough time to adjust his path downfield by a few degrees and make a jumping, spinning attempt to snag the ball that would likely end with him on the ground. You can't throw a guy running a fly off his route that much, with that kind of velocity, and still have him catch the ball in stride.

Is anyone else worried we might be in for an offense/defense imbalance similar to what we saw with NCAA '09?

Sent from my phone using this thing

Last edited by jp7588; 05-24-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-24-2012, 03:55 PM   #76
Sorry, I Got Nothing...

Illustrator76's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes404
Even then, I'd rather this be a ball-placement function, not a change-route function. Now, had the QB thrown a fade along the sideline, I wouldn't have minded seeing the WR alter his route because the ball's hang-time would have given him the time to locate the ball, adjust his route, and go make a play. By placing the ball to the outside with some loft the QB naturally changes the go-route to a corner just from making the receiver chase it down. This makes sense to me and is something QBs do all the time.

However, with the QB throwing a bullet, there shouldn't be enough time for the receiver to completely change his route. In this case, the ball should be high and to the outside shoulder, but with the reduced hang time, he shouldn't be able to adjust his route to the degree that we see in the video. There's just no way to react to a pass that isn't thrown where you're expecting that quickly, especially when you're running at full speed. The ball should be placed high and to the outside shoulder, but the receiver should continue running the go-route for the most part.
I am with you all the way on this, and please do not let anybody deter your opinion on this new passing mechanic. I stated the exact same thing when the initial gameplay streams were posted, and I was met with nothing but opposition. This new passing mechanic is simply unrealistic and is the exact reason why you don't see incompletions in Madden and NCAA other than swats and drops. It is impossible for the WR's to "adjust" their routes in the manner that they are in these videos. I have never heard of any football concept of changing a receiver's route (especially to this extreme) based on your throw (e.g. turning a streak in to a corner route or a post in to an out-route). Basically, EA is saying that no matter how good of defense you play, you're defenders are always in the WRONG spot. When NCAA 13 and Madden 13 drop, I see a lot of people complaining and being frustrated when their games are constantly ending 62-58 because the defenses can't stop anybody to save their lives. The entire SEC is rolling over in their graves (as Charles Barkley would say) after looking at the "Lead WR to space" portion of the video. How can you play defense against that (especially zone)?

I don't like the implementation of this new passing mechanic at all.

Last edited by Illustrator76; 05-24-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #77
Rookie

RidirkulousPokes's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illustrator76
I am with you all the way on this, and please do not let anybody deter your opinion on this new passing mechanic. I stated the exact same thing when the initial gameplay streams were posted, and I was met with nothing but opposition. This new passing mechanic is simply unrealistic and is the exact reason why you don't see incompletions in Madden and NCAA other than swats and drops. It is impossible for the WR's to "adjust" their routes in the manner that they are in these videos. I have never heard of any football concept of changing a receiver's route based on your throw (e.g. turning a streak in to a corner route or a post in to an out-route). Basically, EA is saying that no matter how good of defense you play, you're defenders are always in the WRONG spot. When NCAA and Madden 13 drop, I see a lot of people complaining and being frustrated when their games are constantly ending 62-58 because the defenses can't stop anybody.

Very good point about rarely seeing overthrown balls that hit the ground or the WR barely able to get a hand on it. The majority of incompletions are dropped picks that just hit the defenders hands.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:15 PM   #78
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47
Re: New Gameplay Video Maryland @ Michigan (5/24)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram124
Watch the video again. He does peel back. It just takes him a second to realize that the RB doesn't have the ball. Which is realistic. In real life, it would take a defender a second to find the ball and go to it. If he bites on the running back, then he's essentially toast on the play because once he realizes the QB has the ball (especially if it's Denard Robinson) he can't just instantaneously change his momentum and chase the QB.
OK, I did watch it again and did see the DE peel back. At first glance, it appeared that he just kept chasing the RB off the screen as the QB ran upfield.

Definitely a good sign that DE's will bite on the fake and should make reading the DL a bit easier, although if the DT's wind up overpowered again like last year, then it won't matter if you make the right reads or not as the DT's will just break through the line and destroy the play.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 05-24-2012, 04:15 PM   #79
MVP

DorianDonP's Arena

OVR: 9

I watch the video and can't help but be annoyed at what they are attempting to hide.

Putting music over the crowd and commentary.

Refusing to let the cpu run the offense. I was hoping we were going to see Oregon have a series as an extension of last weeks vid. Then they go to Michigan but have the user run the read option instead of letting the cpu do it.

This weeks vid being better doesn't mean anything because last weeks vid was a full series while this video simply cherry picked plays to show. It's still concerning that even with EA cherry picking the clips to show, they haven't wowed. If I was hiding deficiencies, I'd at least be showing off the new catch animations and tackle animations and trajectories.

One positive I did take is that the DB's looked to be behaving more realistically than 12. At worst, that should help the passing of 13 be more fun and realistic to play, though I'm still inserting assumptions. In reality, I need to see a lot more than the few clips of 'that looks about right'.

In all. These vids are confirming my initial thoughts. No day one purchase.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:18 PM   #80
MVP

DorianDonP's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illustrator76
I am with you all the way on this, and please do not let anybody deter your opinion on this new passing mechanic. I stated the exact same thing when the initial gameplay streams were posted, and I was met with nothing but opposition. This new passing mechanic is simply unrealistic and is the exact reason why you don't see incompletions in Madden and NCAA other than swats and drops. It is impossible for the WR's to "adjust" their routes in the manner that they are in these videos. I have never heard of any football concept of changing a receiver's route (especially to this extreme) based on your throw (e.g. turning a streak in to a corner route or a post in to an out-route). Basically, EA is saying that no matter how good of defense you play, you're defenders are always in the WRONG spot. When NCAA 13 and Madden 13 drop, I see a lot of people complaining and being frustrated when their games are constantly ending 62-58 because the defenses can't stop anybody to save their lives. The entire SEC is rolling over in their graves (as Charles Barkley would say) after looking at the "Lead WR to space" portion of the video. How can you play defense against that (especially zone)?

Hey, I def agreed with you in that thread! lol

But yeah, throwing a receiver open is just going to be another gimicky unrealistic feature to exploit. It's already in the game, but I guess it's going to have a more prominent role.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »