Home

FIFA Soccer 11 Patch Available, Post Impressions Here (PS3, 360)

This is a discussion on FIFA Soccer 11 Patch Available, Post Impressions Here (PS3, 360) within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 11:56 AM   #65
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: FIFA Soccer 11 Patch Available, Post Impressions Here (PS3, 360)

So, I made the decision to keep both PES 11 and FIFA 11, and am glad I did so. I completely dropped FIFA 11 for about 2 weeks, and enjoyed PES 11, which I still do. But I've also started playing FIFA 11 again, and now with the patch also, I'm finding it much more satisfying. I think the games are broken in such different ways that it balances everything out, and it's still fun!

I'm playing on Slow - are you guys saying that the experience is BETTER on normal? That seems counter-intuitive. I feel like if I had less time, it would just make me more apt to do the dink-and-dunk passes all over the field, which was the problem with FIFA to begin with. I watched GuiltyGamer's video on how to use LT strafing to get around defenders, and I think that has helped...though I still have issues in the final third.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-15-2010, 12:15 PM   #66
Rookie

OVR: 6

Going to try the 'speed fix' tonight. I've been playing on Slow since 08. I've been playing the heck out of PES, but miss a lot of the control it lacks in comparison to FIFA - though I still think PES masters the presentation and tension aspects of the game. I'm with Storm in that I'm glad I have both.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:18 PM   #67
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10
Yes, from Slow to Normal. I honestly can't believe the difference. You will have time, and more importantly your defense will play well. It's really nice to see the CPU make mistakes - bad passes, misjudgements, stuff like that.

I lost a heart breaker on LEGENDARY. I haven't played Legendary since the first week of this game.

Legendary, 15 mins, Normal

Wolves (me) vs Leeds (currently 1st place in the Npower, I'm sitting pretty at 18th, lol)
One thing I'd like to add based on my experience... I find that normal speed is much more tolerable when using lower-rated teams. I messed around with a Nottingham Forest MM in FIFA10 and had to put the speed up to normal after playing all my other games on slow (with EPL, Bundesliga, etc). I've played the majority of my offline games in FIFA11 on slow, but if I do another Forest CM -- which is likely -- I might go with normal again.

I'm not sure how/why game speed would affect the things Matt mentions, but I always noticed that it seemed to affect the speed of the ball in 10. The slower passes when using slow speed could intensify the effects of CPU pressure since it gives players more time to close down the receiver. Normal speed can also give your players a little extra quickness to dance out of tight spots, again decreasing the feel of constant pressure.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:24 PM   #68
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJH1
So, I made the decision to keep both PES 11 and FIFA 11, and am glad I did so. I completely dropped FIFA 11 for about 2 weeks, and enjoyed PES 11, which I still do. But I've also started playing FIFA 11 again, and now with the patch also, I'm finding it much more satisfying. I think the games are broken in such different ways that it balances everything out, and it's still fun!

I'm playing on Slow - are you guys saying that the experience is BETTER on normal? That seems counter-intuitive. I feel like if I had less time, it would just make me more apt to do the dink-and-dunk passes all over the field, which was the problem with FIFA to begin with. I watched GuiltyGamer's video on how to use LT strafing to get around defenders, and I think that has helped...though I still have issues in the final third.
I did the same thing as you, kept both games. PES is a solid game for what I need. But if I want tight nets, good atmosphere and illustrious commentary - that's FIFA for now.

I can't say for sure if the experience is better, heck it could be a fluke - I'm not a professor so if a theory/finding doesn't pan out, I won't be heart broken. The goal is to make the game playable, and the last couple of games on Legendary on normal speed has been quite fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantpop
Going to try the 'speed fix' tonight. I've been playing on Slow since 08. I've been playing the heck out of PES, but miss a lot of the control it lacks in comparison to FIFA - though I still think PES masters the presentation and tension aspects of the game. I'm with Storm in that I'm glad I have both.
I too have been playing on slow since 08, normal and definitely fast were out of the question. I'm one of those who thinks EA's default sliders/settings/etc are bunk - and they are just doing that for the arcade fan, not the sim fan in me.

Although what's funny, is that most of the EA series lately can be routed back to default and still put up a decent representation of their sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
One thing I'd like to add based on my experience... I find that normal speed is much more tolerable when using lower-rated teams. I messed around with a Nottingham Forest MM in FIFA10 and had to put the speed up to normal after playing all my other games on slow (with EPL, Bundesliga, etc). I've played the majority of my offline games in FIFA11 on slow, but if I do another Forest CM -- which is likely -- I might go with normal again.

I'm not sure how/why game speed would affect the things Matt mentions, but I always noticed that it seemed to affect the speed of the ball in 10. The slower passes when using slow speed could intensify the effects of CPU pressure since it gives players more time to close down the receiver. Normal speed can also give your players a little extra quickness to dance out of tight spots, again decreasing the feel of constant pressure.
I'm under the impression that EA have screwed up something. We've seen it before in NCAA and Madden games for the sliders. Where in Madden 09 the CPU sliders were actually the User sliders, and vice versa. I guess if anything supports the game speed, it would be that.

All reaching aside though, I think putting it on normal increases the awareness for the player reaction to the ball. The games feel fast though - not going to lie there. If you want the CPU to do a slow old-school Liverpool build up, you have to get into the custom tactics. I already started my CM and don't plan on changing anything for the AI (yet).

Try it, see if it works - report back, post stats, let's figure this out - maybe it's a diamond in the rough - or just big pile of cow dung, eitherway it's a fun experience.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:32 PM   #69
Pro

OVR: 8

Still curious on this speed issue (and looking forward to giving it a shot later tonight) ...

What, exactly, does the game speed effect anyway? Are all of the players "sprint speed" and "acceleration" values higher? Why would game speed have an effect on the CPU build-up play? How about the pace of my players?

"Time on the ball in the attacking third" is one big issue for me. I feel like I can get close - but then the CPU instant-tackle (usually a slide tackle from behind) kicks in. So, I either rush a sloppy shot or lose possession. It is a bummer - I want to look for a clean pass or wait for an opening - I want to have to play the game correctly.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:03 PM   #70
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpHSpH
Still curious on this speed issue (and looking forward to giving it a shot later tonight) ...

What, exactly, does the game speed effect anyway? Are all of the players "sprint speed" and "acceleration" values higher? Why would game speed have an effect on the CPU build-up play? How about the pace of my players?

"Time on the ball in the attacking third" is one big issue for me. I feel like I can get close - but then the CPU instant-tackle (usually a slide tackle from behind) kicks in. So, I either rush a sloppy shot or lose possession. It is a bummer - I want to look for a clean pass or wait for an opening - I want to have to play the game correctly.
To me, the pace of play doesn't slow down - at least doesn't appear to. I don't have trouble with CPU pulling out defensive stops, actually feel like some of the plays that happen are a result of my players ratings - as it should be.

You know that annoying through pass that makes it perfect everytime, then the strike somehow is made of jello - has 100 percent agility and can shak you by just cutting back and forth - then a shot on goal? Well, I haven't seen that on normal game speed, I see it all the time on slow. It's the little things like that that just tells me there has to be something to it.

Bout to play a couple of games, will report back wiht findings. Attacking third has been strong for me.

In the loss to Leeds, my goal was set up after Leeds won a free kick. We cleared it, Brek Shea (transfer) muscled possesion, quickly through pass outlet to Roberts - Roberts takes it down the wing, through balls to Doyle, who then shakes past his defending - leaving him goal side, before the center back charges on Doyle's right shoulder. Doyle stops the ball (R2) and faces back the other way, cuts across into the center of the 18, before playing a delicate through 1-yard pass to Sobkova in stride - all tied up.

The goal I conceded, the winner, was heart breaking because I had just switched the tactics to opopsite wing attack. My LB had started to the shift when we had possesion - switching with RB. Jarvis loses possesion in the center, and Leeds bring it down the wing. Van Damme, my LB, didn't have time, nor the pace to prevent McCormack from speeding by goalside - and was found wide open in the box for a crashing header.

I'll start recording a bit - will try to get some goals and some gameplay footage as well.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:00 PM   #71
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

If stats alone - this figures are beautiful to a struggling FIFA fan from September. Have you ever seen this in this year's game? Look at the tackling, it's no longer outrageously in user's advantage.

The second goal I gave up was so bad, I switched to my CB, who shifted too far allowing an acre of space for a through pass.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:02 PM   #72
Hall of Fame

jb12780's Arena

Interesting find Matt. Definitely something to look into more.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »