Home

NHL 23 Trial Available Now For EA Play Subscribers

This is a discussion on NHL 23 Trial Available Now For EA Play Subscribers within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
Madden 25 Vs. College Football 25: A New Battleground
NBA 2K25 Gameplay Improvements, Trailer, News Release Schedule
EA Sports College Football 25 Review

Old 10-12-2022, 09:22 AM   #81
MVP

PernellKarl076's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NHL 23 Trial Available Now For EA Play Subscribers

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlybygrace
So far Ive only played one game but I actually really enjoyed it. Lots of organic moments and subtle gameplay improvements make the game feel more dynamic. Really love the atmosphere and energy of the crowd. I played on All Star Simulation and found it a good legit challenge and not too arcade for my liking. Good balance.
Just the bolded part I don’t like about your post 😉😆
Follow me on your favourite TUBE (Videos backstories often in my Slider Thread)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-12-2022, 10:14 AM   #82
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

I haven't played it yet but have a question for those who have:

On powerplays will the CPU actually sit back a little and let you pass the puck around outside the zone to setup a power play attack or do they do what they've always done and act like there is no power play and go after the puck constantly?

This is one thing that has always bugged me about EA's game versus the old 2K game, on a powerplay the game doesn't play as if the CPU is defending the powerplay at all and they constantly just go after the puck instead of sitting back to defend.

I am hopeful that it's better now but I sort of think this is likely the same as always.
Streaming PC & PS5 games, join me most nights after 6:00pm ET at WWW. KICK.COM/ODOGG

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 10-12-2022, 10:42 AM   #83
Hall Of Fame

mkharsh33's Arena

OVR: 35

I'm looking forward to this game...

I played 22 a LOT. and I'm a guy who takes a LOOOOOONG time to create my sliders. I stopped sharing them at OS because I'd change them often, sometimes one tick in either direction at a time. Not worth the misery of complaints here.

But on 22 I've had the most personal realistic games in any hockey game I've played ever. Here's what I've discovered: the game is meant to be played on PRO difficulty level. You then have to do a lot tweaking to get the skating speed right (I give the cpu a HUGE advantage in skating speed). And in order to get the d-men to shoot more you have to up the shot power sliders up. which means you then have to tweak the goalies way up to compensate. I then play tons of games, often ending them and starting over before I finish, because i'm in the slider creation stage. It's amazing how moving a slider 1 tick changes things.

So for that, if 23 is anything like 22 with added features that I'm reading of - yeah, I'm pretty excited. I'll have a solid starting point on my slider set and should speed up the process of enjoying the game. I truly believe that hockey is a hard game to emulate: the hitting, skating, grind vs flow - that has to be difficult to code into a video game replication. I think EA is doing a better job on this when you play with the sliders to create that balance of grit and beauty, toughness and pace.
Old 10-12-2022, 10:49 AM   #84
Pro

Lordofthething's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by stooge 1010
Has anybody seen the players raise their stick up when going off for line change.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
No, i was wondering this myself. I've seen players pointing out open players to pass to, especially on the PP, but not for a line change.
Old 10-12-2022, 11:04 AM   #85
Pro

Lordofthething's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I haven't played it yet but have a question for those who have:

On powerplays will the CPU actually sit back a little and let you pass the puck around outside the zone to setup a power play attack or do they do what they've always done and act like there is no power play and go after the puck constantly?

This is one thing that has always bugged me about EA's game versus the old 2K game, on a powerplay the game doesn't play as if the CPU is defending the powerplay at all and they constantly just go after the puck instead of sitting back to defend.

I am hopeful that it's better now but I sort of think this is likely the same as always.
Unfortunately they still go after the puck constantly. I think they'd have to have entire different code for the players on PK, they play like its 5x5. Not a deal breaker for me, hopefully in the future they can address this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-12-2022, 11:16 AM   #86
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordofthething
Unfortunately they still go after the puck constantly. I think they'd have to have entire different code for the players on PK, they play like its 5x5. Not a deal breaker for me, hopefully in the future they can address this.
Not a dealbreaker either but sort of ruins immersion. It couldn't be that difficult, 2K had this back in their hockey game many years ago, the players would act appropriately on the power play and not be constantly rushing the puck.

Oh well, disappointing but not surprising, thanks for weighing in on it though.
Streaming PC & PS5 games, join me most nights after 6:00pm ET at WWW. KICK.COM/ODOGG

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 10-12-2022, 01:06 PM   #87
MVP

onlybygrace's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordofthething
I disagree. Just played as Edmonton against Calgary on All Star Full Sim with some adjustments and I hemmed Calgary in on the powerplay often and it was intense. They held their box and thwarted my circling powerplay. It was thrilling. I think it has something to do with how you occupy the zone. If you have good fast dynamic puck movement, the cpu is forced to back off.

Anyways, im having a lot of fun finally with this game. Preordered!!!
Old 10-12-2022, 01:06 PM   #88
MVP

onlybygrace's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Not a dealbreaker either but sort of ruins immersion. It couldn't be that difficult, 2K had this back in their hockey game many years ago, the players would act appropriately on the power play and not be constantly rushing the puck.

Oh well, disappointing but not surprising, thanks for weighing in on it though.
Read my reply…

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »