Home

NHL 23 Trial Available Now For EA Play Subscribers

This is a discussion on NHL 23 Trial Available Now For EA Play Subscribers within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowler, Pollack & More in the Game
We Wish MLB Network Presentation Would Return in MLB The Show 24
Sports Game Pet Peeve: Let Us Back Out Before a Game Starts

Old 10-17-2022, 01:09 PM   #161
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: NHL 23 Trial Available Now For EA Play Subscribers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CujoMatty
What i dont get is how some people dont understand that the game can be great on the ice and the crowd atmosphere can be awesome and the franchise mode can be the 2nd best out of the 4 major franchise and still get hated on.

Those feelings can coexist. Heres how:

Id argue that on release last years game was the best gameplay has ever been. This year is marginally better so ya it could also be said this year its the best its been and id expect next year it will be too. Key word is marginally.

Id argue that last year presentation was better because at least you you could have full presentation. So ya the crowd is amazing but overall its a step back.

The franchise mode being second best is arguable. Personally id probably agree but the issue is very little has changed in franchise over the last number of years.

If you played a lot of 22 there is a better than good chance you will get bored of 23 pretty quickly.

For $79.99 canadian minimum, there should be more here than there is. So the fact it is a good game doesnt at all mean its worth what they are charging. And it definetly means there should be some angst about it.

I cant stand the "i think the games awesome so the rest of you are all EA haters" mentallity. The game is way over priced for what they added this year. Just my opinion.
I enjoy the gameplay for sure, but it's not worth the full price. I have some old games I'll trade in for it, but I wouldn't pay full price. If you have skipped the past couple of years, then maybe it's worth it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2022, 02:21 PM   #162
Rookie

OVR: 0

See. I pay full price for the game because I play every single game mode they have.

I play franchise
I’m on a team in the world of chel
Heck, I even mess with HUT.
I play online versus.

The gameplay is just an added bonus for me this year. NHL is the only game I play from release right up until the new instalment comes out.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 10-17-2022, 03:29 PM   #163
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipNotiiC_x
I don't find the gameplay worth a $70 upgrade. I already made global attribute changes and slider changes in 22 to get a much better hockey experience than OOTB 22. 23 isn't a massive improvement in this area. It's a marginal upgrade and the misleading marketing when it comes to their "focus" on presentation has made me unable to support the product.

I actually find the hitting to be less consistent than 22 and the DSS speed nerf to also be a downgrade from 22. Goalies received an upgrade, the AI seem slightly more aggressive on defense when they should be which is nice. In-zone offense is unchanged, special teams are still horrid.

I'm glad you're liking the game but refraining from a $70 tuner set with some DLC equipment is not because people are "mad 2k screwed up their hockey series" lol. It's the principle of not being okay with false advertising and not finding $70 worth of value out of a game that admittedly has very few "feature upgrades" to the product not to mention some of their "polishing" or "tuner changes" aren't even objective improvements from the previous tuner set (22).
How many games that you don’t care for do you post about? Are you exhausted? There are just some many bad games…
Old 10-17-2022, 04:45 PM   #164
MVP

Therebelyell626's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeWhy
Seems like a bunch of dudes that are still mad 2K screwed up their hockey franchise. I’m kind of blown away by just how much fun I’m rally having with it.

And you are right. It’s too bad three aren’t more actual gamers in this forum.
This coming from a guy who signed up for an account this month. Sorry we are not “gamer” enough for you because we feel like this game is a huge step back.

We are not worthy of even being in your presence lord gamer, sir.

This guy lol

Last edited by Therebelyell626; 10-17-2022 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-17-2022, 04:53 PM   #165
MVP

Therebelyell626's Arena

Quote:
How many games that you don’t care for do you post about? Are you exhausted? There are just some many bad games…
I’ll cut you a break since your new around here. But let me give you a nickels worth of free advice. This isn’t the EA forum, and this isn’t Reddit. You won’t be around very long with this approach.

This is a community where we are free to exchange ideas, criticism (constructively), and our general thoughts about games. You may not agree with everyone’s opinions, but that’s what makes this forum great. You get gamers from every walk of life. I post on a lot of games I don’t really like on this site, simply because I respect the people on these forums, and just have a passion for sports games whether I like them or not.

Trying to “punk people” or being “passive aggressive” is not only not a really good look for you, but is going to get you banned sooner or later. If your looking for points from the peanut gallery or to “dunk” on people. Please head over to the EA forums. They practically encourage that sort of thing.

That’s all I’m going to say on this matter

Last edited by Therebelyell626; 10-17-2022 at 04:56 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2022, 08:24 PM   #166
MVP

NYJin2011tm's Arena

There’s still no box scores???
Old 10-17-2022, 09:46 PM   #167
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therebelyell626
I’ll cut you a break since your new around here. But let me give you a nickels worth of free advice. This isn’t the EA forum, and this isn’t Reddit. You won’t be around very long with this approach.

This is a community where we are free to exchange ideas, criticism (constructively), and our general thoughts about games. You may not agree with everyone’s opinions, but that’s what makes this forum great. You get gamers from every walk of life. I post on a lot of games I don’t really like on this site, simply because I respect the people on these forums, and just have a passion for sports games whether I like them or not.

Trying to “punk people” or being “passive aggressive” is not only not a really good look for you, but is going to get you banned sooner or later. If your looking for points from the peanut gallery or to “dunk” on people. Please head over to the EA forums. They practically encourage that sort of thing.

That’s all I’m going to say on this matter
Cool for you. How much does it pay to be a moderator?
Old 10-18-2022, 02:45 AM   #168
Pro

The EVHL's Arena

Quote:
I literally said I'm happy you enjoy the game lol. I gave my reasons for why I don't think it's a $70 improvement which didn't include any references to the 2k series or even wishful thinking of a 2k return. You're the one trolling critical posts. I'm simply disagreeing with you. Why are you offended that I don't find $70 of value from this new release?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PernellKarl076
HipNotiiC, you know I respect your knowledge for the game and your opinion, we have worked on NHL20 at the time for get a better game gameplay wise…

With about 20 hours in 23 I can honestly say, that I will never touch NHL22 again ! And god knows how many things I've done to make 22 better…

I've seen sooooo many improvements in the AI in the way they play, the goalies have never been better, the DMen are in a normal state after being zombies in 22…

Yes I have my sliders exactly where I want them, and as you know me, I like to play my game as hardcore as possible… No pass assist, no hit assist, hitting power on 2 out of 100, no hud, player lock and action cam to name a few…

I will give a detailed review pretty soon and post my slider set also, but for right now, to me this is the best gameplay I've ever seen in the NHL franchise…. Of course not OOTB 😉

Oh and the hitting is a thing of beauty this year (remember I play with 0 assist and 2 power) I was on the fence when I started like you, felt like something was up… BUT, it's the AI sometimes that gets out of a check, the animation to defend themselves if you will, to shrug a check. Even with my settings, if I align myself perfectly, with the right player of course, I can send guys off their skates !
Karl, I'm glad you're loving the game. I've played a few hours of my trial and I've found it to be a better experience as well. I'm not saying it's not a better game, but there's certainly aspects that I don't like more than 22. That combined with the fact that there's only one area I like more than 22 (CPU goalies) along with the horribly misleading marketing practice of hyping intros and animations only for them to not be used in even 50% of your CAT games, I just can't justify a $70 purchase.

I mean, I spent like probably 500+ hours on rosters alone to get 22 in an optimal spot for me. Another 300+ hours on sliders (still tweaking to this day) and I just don't see many things done $70 better in 23 than 22. I think the people like you and me are the niche market that could justify $70 purchases because we play the game in such a hardcore fashion and will 100% benefit from any small improvements and that's precisely why I'm posting critical reviews. I'm one of the few that COULD justify this price point for the hours I put in and even I'm not buying it haha. But again, I don't agree with the DSS nerf so I don't find 23 a 100% "upgrade" if you will. I sacrifice interactive stick play for goalies but at the cost of another 500+ hours in creation zone just to be forced into condensed broadcast settings...I can't justify the hours and price.

I want people who were disappointed with 22 to have a well-informed opinion when they make their decision. If they're a casual offline player, I genuinely believe they should stay far away from this game at full price. That does not mean it's a worse game imo, but it's certainly not a $70 upgrade imo. If you're coming from NHL 21 or later, then sure! Go for it! It's a good enough upgrade at that point. I just want people to have realistic expectations as there's a lot of skill levels and commitment levels on these boards. If you put in the time like us, then 23 can probably be safely bought for $70. If you're a casual offline player who never enters the slider screen, this isn't an upgrade worth purchasing.

I don't mean to knock your opinion down. I believe you and I can genuinely understand your PoV. I just want people to know that this is still EA hockey. This will not make you fall in love with the series if you're not someone willing to put in the slider, roster, strategy work imo. We are a select few, we will continue being the only ones who can find the diamond in the rough if you will.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »