Home

Penalties

This is a discussion on Penalties within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-11-2014, 08:55 PM   #25
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Penalties

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercalnd
Playing 9 minute periods, all-star hardcore and tweaking sliders from there, I have been getting spot on penalty numbers in my last 6 games or so. I get anywhere from 2 to 5 powerplays per team per game, sometimes me and the CPU have the same number of PPs, sometimes I get more PPs, other times it's the CPU who gets more PPs. I'm pretty pleased about this aspect of the game.
Do tell on the slider tweaks..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2014, 10:51 PM   #26
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscosuper
Are you finding the "9-minutes" period to be optimal for stats results?

I tried 10 minute periods and found the stats too high (especially compared to '14), I am playing on Superstar, so maybe there is a difference there.
As far as shots go, both teams are usually in the mid 20s to high 30s, although I do tend to outshoot the CPU and somtimes get as much as 45 shots but that's more a product of my propensity to just throw a low percentage shot at the net when things start to close up in the offensive zone rather than trying to force an opening for a better scoring chance and ending up turning it over.

Also, I pretty much accept that I'll always have more time on attack than the CPU. I tend to pass the puck around in non-threatening areas of the offensive zone to eventually create a chance whereas the CPU is much more direct in its attacks. This does not bother me as long as the CPU can mount serious threats and hold its own as far as shots and goals are concerned.

The game does tend to be high scoring but I'm trying different things to remedy that. Basically, I'm happy with the shots and scoring chances generated in 9 minute periods with sliders aimed at making the game more defensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Do tell on the slider tweaks..
I don't have the exact numbers but it's basically this:

What seems to help penalties:
  • Max out Penalties, CPU Penalties and CPU Teammate penalties.
  • Post whistle rules to authentic (I have yet to see a post whistle penalty but more calls seem to happen with this on authentic)
  • Lower hitting assistance and hitting power for both CPU and Human (forces you to rely more on the poke check and stick lift which tends to generate some tripping and slashing calls)
  • Increase poke effectiveness and stick lift effectiveness

Other adjustments to make the game more defensive and sloppier:
  • Pass assist to 0
  • Lower pass speed and saucer pass speed (helps cut down on CPU one timers goals in the slot by giving the goalie a chance when your CPU teammates inevitably let a man skate in alone while you're defending the puck carrier in the corner)
  • Lower pass accuracy and pass reception ease
  • Increase pass interceptions
  • Lower shot power, shot accuracy and one timer accuracy (I leave slap shot settings alone as I'm not seeing many goals from slap shots)
  • Increase goalie cover frequency
  • Lower goalie passing

Though I said I don't have the exact numbers in front of me, I do recall that none of my adjusted sliders are maxed out or at 0, with the exception of the pass assist on 0 and the maxed out penalties sliders.

I said earlier that I was on Allstar Hardcore but I got fed up trying to find a goal scoring balance. The balance was decent as far as shots and flow of the game but to achieve that I had to increase the CPU difficulty and this seemed to generate too many WTF moments where my CPU teammates let a guy fly in alone in the slot for an easy one timer goal.

I moved to Superstar Hardcore with similar adjustments (but leaving CPU difficulty adjustment at 0) wondering if my good penalty results would continue on that difficulty. I played one game on this setup so far and lost 2-1 in a shootout in Pittsburgh as Montreal. Shots were 38-31 in my favor. I had 5 powerplays to Pittsburgh's 4. It was a very good, balanced game.

Last edited by mercalnd; 09-11-2014 at 10:55 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:35 PM   #27
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

Thanks, I've tweaked a few things from default hardcore and like what I'm seeing.. but I agree that goals are a tad on the high side.. but I've seen some really goofy goals.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:16 AM   #28
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

OVR: 0

There is a two pronged problem with penalties and I think EA can fix one with a tuner the other has been an issue for years and I don't see a fix coming soon.

1) The CPU simply does not play aggressively no matter what you do to the sliders. I am only seeing 6-11 hits by the CPU a game and drawing one maybe two penalties if I'm lucky a game. In NHL 14 somehow with slider tweaks I was able to get the CPU to hit 20+ times a game and I was getting 3-5 power plays a game that way but every now and then I had a game where it would be single digits and I would only have one power play in that game. Don't know if its coded that way to determine penalties by hits or what but I am sure this is part of the problem. Should be able to fix with a tuner.

2) The game simply does not recognize a penalty when it happens. I get creamed by the CPU miles away from the puck and nothing is called. I can board guys and only get called a fraction of the time. Goalies get run over and most times no call. They also seemed to do away with the after whistle penalties. Last year I could bait the CPU into a roughing penalty or sometimes I would get it or we would get matching roughing penalties.....I liked that kind of realistic but they are gone too. This one I guess will never be fixed because its been like this for years.

Last edited by jake19ny; 09-12-2014 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:09 PM   #29
Rookie

I think you are spot on with your 2 points. In nhl14 I went thru every team and edited the attributes of tough players to make them more aggressive and take more pens, and it worked. Nhl 15 cannot do that. I have been playing on allstar offline and 10min periods but opposing team has only taken 1-2 pens per game. Ea should know its part of Ice Hockey. (Having said that its the same in Fifa there is hardley any opposing fouls). Not good enough
Old 09-12-2014, 02:55 PM   #30
Pro

OVR: 6

I felt like increasing the penalty slider from default hardcore decreased penalties interestingly enough. This is just from the ea access trial:

10 min periods, all star, hardcore. Each team had 20-40 shots per game (most seemed to be in the low 30s), i dont remember all of the scores but i remember 3 of them - there was 2-1, 4-2, and 3-1 (empty net goal.) Each team had on average maybe 3 power plays per game, there was one where i had 6 and one where i had only 1.

I haven't played an NHL since 09 so maybe i'm just terrible, but it all seemed to work out for me.

Oh and an edit - when i tried to increase the penalty sliders for 2 games to max, i had 0 and 1 pp's, cpu had 2 and 6.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:25 PM   #31
MVP

THESHAMISASHAME's Arena

OVR: 3

If you max penalties and play at least 10 minute periods you can draw a realistic amount penalties but just like real hockey you have to draw them !

Their not given out like free candy

I get most when the cpu is over aggressive in your zone forchecking eh ( hint hint raise cpu aggression slider or even pass Int a tad ) or in their zone just like real hockey when you can control the puck and even cycle it draws many .

If your not getting any called on you adjust the hu cpu teammate penalties slider .

Hope this helps many enjoy my Sports game of the Year NHL 15 " its in the game " It really is if you take the time to adjust your sliders to your skill level and needs .

Last edited by THESHAMISASHAME; 09-12-2014 at 09:27 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2014, 02:39 AM   #32
Rookie

Can you post your sliders please.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »