Home

not as bad as some people say

This is a discussion on not as bad as some people say within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-22-2018, 09:22 AM   #73
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: not as bad as some people say

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleBattleCat
Agreed, I have experienced pretty much everything you have described and it goes even more so like this in playoffs games.

Just like you I really like the team building aspect, the drafting, the simming etc.
I think I'm at the point where when I play a game, I can tell what kind of game the AI is going give me very early on, by the way of level of pressure, hardness or easiness to score etc.
I just about give up on sliders lol.

Having said this, I'm in for the long haul with the dynasty I've made, which I guess is the main reason I remain drawn in.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

This is EXACTLY how I feel playing. There is no dynamic game play feeling at all. Like you though, I'll continue to sim my games as I do like the roster building aspect.

I would still rather play NHL Legacy edition when it comes to actual playing the game and that's sad.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:32 PM   #74
MVP

jsquigg's Arena

OVR: 16

I know the games may be dated, but NHL 08 and 09 where fun in spite of their flaws and arcadey feel at times. That was when they first implemented ai learning and playing against some of the top end teams was scary, and yes, I realize this was because there were limited defensive tools, but you really had to rely on positioning. I feel like video games are harder to appreciate because in the early days fun and imagination were required because realism had its limits. Now the graphics are so good that a lot of the flaws stand out, especially when it feels like control isn't slick or the AI is dumbed down to present a challenge.
Old 05-27-2018, 06:49 PM   #75
Rookie

Chiefaho's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsquigg
I know the games may be dated, but NHL 08 and 09 where fun in spite of their flaws and arcadey feel at times. That was when they first implemented ai learning and playing against some of the top end teams was scary, and yes, I realize this was because there were limited defensive tools, but you really had to rely on positioning. I feel like video games are harder to appreciate because in the early days fun and imagination were required because realism had its limits. Now the graphics are so good that a lot of the flaws stand out, especially when it feels like control isn't slick or the AI is dumbed down to present a challenge.
I agree completely. In my opinion, "realism" makes most video games a lot less fun, and I don't understand people who want ultra-realism in all their games. Whenever game devs try to make something realistic, they usually end up taking a lot of the creativity and imagination that you mentioned out of the game, leaving only one or two ways to play the game. In the case of sports games, they take away a lot of that "anything can happen" feel of the sport, restricting playstyles and leaving every game you play feeling almost the same. I still play NHL 2004 from time to time and while it often does feel very video-gamey, it is still a blast to play. If I wanted to experience real hockey, I'd go to a game, watch some on TV or better yet lace up myself and go play. I'm not saying I want to play a full-on arcade hockey game, but you can have a good looking, good playing game without attempting (and failing) to make everything 100% true to life, it just hasn't been done yet. There is a fine line between arcade and realism that sports devs just can't ever seem to come close to hitting. Someday, though...someday...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-29-2018, 01:43 AM   #76
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefaho
I agree completely. In my opinion, "realism" makes most video games a lot less fun, and I don't understand people who want ultra-realism in all their games. Whenever game devs try to make something realistic, they usually end up taking a lot of the creativity and imagination that you mentioned out of the game, leaving only one or two ways to play the game. In the case of sports games, they take away a lot of that "anything can happen" feel of the sport, restricting playstyles and leaving every game you play feeling almost the same. I still play NHL 2004 from time to time and while it often does feel very video-gamey, it is still a blast to play. If I wanted to experience real hockey, I'd go to a game, watch some on TV or better yet lace up myself and go play. I'm not saying I want to play a full-on arcade hockey game, but you can have a good looking, good playing game without attempting (and failing) to make everything 100% true to life, it just hasn't been done yet. There is a fine line between arcade and realism that sports devs just can't ever seem to come close to hitting. Someday, though...someday...
Really insightful post. Me as a hardcore simmer, I never thought about it that way. We want so bad as real as it gets game, but there is a subjective fine line between arcadey & realism. I bet there is a lot of psychology involved in the development process.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:13 AM   #77
Rookie

The problem with EA hockey is simple. Ever since Ramjagsingh took reigns in mid 2010, he's turned a fun video game into a wannabee "realistic" one which has gotten worse and worse every single year. So then he decides we'd better implement an arcade 3 vs 3 mode to try and satisfy those that are complaining our "realistic" game sucks. Well what good does that do if your 3 vs 3 arcade mode totally sucks as well?

NHL 19 is going to be a complete disaster unless they've completely overhauled their game engine from square one, but I have this unfortunate feeling that all they're going to do with their 10-year old engine is add a few new features, like they've been doing and milking, and charge full price like it's a brand new game. Sorry EA, but your bull is all out of milk, and I'm crossing my fingers that you get rid of Ramjagsingh and put a person in charge that knows what the word "fun" means. The NHL game has become the most frustrating and infuriating game to play since 2011, and it's honestly time for people to stop supporting and buying this crap.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:52 AM   #78
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by handheldpictures
The problem with EA hockey is simple. Ever since Ramjagsingh took reigns in mid 2010, he's turned a fun video game into a wannabee "realistic" one which has gotten worse and worse every single year.
This is true, but there is something far more misguided about their search for realism and that is that they've confused realistic physics and strategy with realistic visuals and presentation. That's not the same thing. Looking good isn't playing good and even the looking good bit, some well known players haven't had their faces changed in years and how do guys like William Nylander not have a real face? At least let us make one. As the game has come to look more and more like a broadcast, it has actually started to play less and less like real hockey.

Last edited by tinpanalley; 05-31-2018 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:16 AM   #79
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpanalley
This is true, but there is something far more misguided about their search for realism and that is that they've confused realistic physics and strategy with realistic visuals and presentation. That's not the same thing. Looking good isn't playing good and even the looking good bit, some well known players haven't had their faces changed in years and how do guys like William Nylander not have a real face? At least let us make one. As the game has come to look more and more like a broadcast, it has actually started to play less and less like real hockey.
Totally agree, but the worst part is that it's also become the most scripted game in history. Get a 3 goal lead, forget it. It will be tied before you know it. It's become so predictable that it's a LOL joke. The EA dictated outcome, especially online, is what's totally destroyed this game. Rammer has no clue what to do anymore to fix this pathetic excuse of a hockey game, and has to be replaced, pure and simple. He has no clue what the word fun means, and until he's replaced and a brand new engine is implemented, this game will continue to be the biggest turd in sports gaming history since when he took reigns halfway through 2010.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:52 PM   #80
Rookie

egj1976's Arena

OVR: 3

Ok, so I need some help. I play i Franchise mode and I sim most games and play a few. I desperately want to play this game and not have to go back to NHL 17. I need to know what slider set to use for it to be better. What I have issue with is as follows.

1. AI not seeming to know what they're doing. (Don't want to POS LOCK)
2. Passing. Jesus Christ! When I pass back to the defense the completely miss the puck. What I have noticed is, in play now the defensive AI seem to reach out for the puck. When in franchise they stand there and do nothing. Also, when passing period it seems to never go where I want it. I have tested my controller that's not it.
3. Is it me or does the deke stick seem to be unresponsive at times? It seems far less responsive from where it was in NHL 17.
4. Ice Tilt. Definitely don't think anything I can do about this other than to just try to play as well as I can but maybe the sliders will help.

I am sure there is more I am missing but this is the stuff that bothers me the most and I can get use to other stuff. So again, please help me enjoy this game a little bit since I own it now and want to just enjoy playing a hockey game.

Thanks

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »