Home

not as bad as some people say

This is a discussion on not as bad as some people say within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-18-2018, 02:56 PM   #41
Rookie

Zobitembois's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: not as bad as some people say

Just got the game from EA Access.

The new puck chop mechanic, wich I was using A LOT since it has been implemented, is frustrating me. Do you think I'll get used to it ? I have a hard time believing I will.

And I feel pretty much the same about hip-checks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2018, 03:12 PM   #42
MVP

mjavon's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zobitembois
Just got the game from EA Access.

The new puck chop mechanic, wich I was using A LOT since it has been implemented, is frustrating me. Do you think I'll get used to it ? I have a hard time believing I will.

And I feel pretty much the same about hip-checks.
Hip checks seem pretty ineffective in this year's version. Is puck chopping still in this one? I used in in 17 a lot, but now R1 + RS is defensive skill stick so I figured they took it out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 04-18-2018, 03:28 PM   #43
MVP

mjavon's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjavon
My best advice, something I figured out pretty recently b.c.

You skate near the puck with the left stick, and you resist the temptation to press anything.

Other games have conditioned us that for event 'Y' to happen, the user has to press 'X', but in NHL there is no button to press for a puck pickup, AND pressing anything else will cancel out any puck pickup that was going to happen.

I'm usually the guy spamming R1 to poke check anytime the puck is near me, but I finally realized this was actually hurting my chances of actually getting possession. IMO, they need to change it so that puck pickups aren't cancelled by a poke check or stick lift move, but that's not the case.

In summary:
https://youtu.be/PKIpCPS-oZc

Found an EA blog that kind of verifies this:

"When you are using the Defensive Skill Stick, you cannot hit or pickup the puck. In order to do so, you need to release the poke check button and you will be able to either deliver a body check or pick up a loose puck that you poked away from a defender."

Link: https://www.easports.com/nhl/news/20...ve-skill-stick
Old 04-18-2018, 06:18 PM   #44
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Hip checks seem pretty ineffective in this year's version. Is puck chopping still in this one? I used in in 17 a lot, but now R1 + RS is defensive skill stick so I figured they took it out.
I think it's like R3 + Right Joytick direction. Take a little getting used to.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:20 PM   #45
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
My dude, good to see you plugging away still. I'm stuck just before deadline in my Franchise (i think). Need to get back at it and finish the season with the actual Playoffs in full swing. MLB The Show has been it for me since it released.
Fiddy my man! Yes, I'm still playing!

Just simming some, then playing a game, rinse/repeat. Blues are off to a hot start, got Perron back and playing some youngsters. Having a blast so far.

How have you been?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2018, 02:03 AM   #46
Rookie

Slegr's Arena

Not as bad as people say... Youre right, its worse. The skating has broken the game for years and beyond the problems that come with it its just fundamentally unpleasant. The NHL series is on the NBA Live walk of shame. Had so much momentum from 09-14 and has crashed and burned since.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:09 AM   #47
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Fiddy my man! Yes, I'm still playing!

Just simming some, then playing a game, rinse/repeat. Blues are off to a hot start, got Perron back and playing some youngsters. Having a blast so far.

How have you been?
All good here bud, just plugging away at MLB The Show, but I need to get back to NHL and grind some games out. Nice break for me and look forward to playing again.
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC
Old 04-19-2018, 09:09 PM   #48
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
My best advice, something I figured out pretty recently b.c.

You skate near the puck with the left stick, and you resist the temptation to press anything.

Other games have conditioned us that for event 'Y' to happen, the user has to press 'X', but in NHL there is no button to press for a puck pickup, AND pressing anything else will cancel out any puck pickup that was going to happen.

I'm usually the guy spamming R1 to poke check anytime the puck is near me, but I finally realized this was actually hurting my chances of actually getting possession. IMO, they need to change it so that puck pickups aren't cancelled by a poke check or stick lift move, but that's not the case.

In summary:
https://youtu.be/PKIpCPS-oZc

I actually noticed this too, but it's kinda ineffective against the cpu because nost of the time they poke check or stick lift you before you even realize you have the puck. Also, the game is too sluggish. I lowered my fatigue effect but it didnt help. I thought it did, but it was a placebo effect.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »