Home

Tactics discussion

This is a discussion on Tactics discussion within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-26-2010, 11:47 AM   #1
Can't spell antetokounmpo

Bahnzo's Arena

OVR: 30
Tactics discussion

So...anyone feel like talking tactics?

I'm really kind of lost right now. I like to play down the wings and either cut inside or put crosses into the box, but I'm finding that difficult so far. I'm mostly having trouble getting guys to go on runs forward. And even if I do get guys down the wings, there is often no one available for a cross into the box. Any ideas?

I've been messing with the strategy settings and trying different combinations of support and offensive stuff, but nothing really seems to work.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-26-2010, 10:37 PM   #2
Banned

steveeee's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Tactics discussion

I was going to create a similar thread just now as I just got this game finally last night... I want to see what people use as far as formations with their MLO teams first starting out and what tactics.

I have only played 2 matches offline so far. I'm addicted to playing around with the MLO as I'm 3 - 5 - 0 while trying to figure out this game and proper tactics to use with my team starting out. Right now I been playing a 4 - 2 - 3 -1 with my starting lineup below with success.

.....................Nordstrand................... ......

.....................Grochamow.................... .....
..Ximelez..............................Joselito Vaca..

............D'agostino...........Edu.............. .....

.****skin.................................El Moubark...
................Stremer....Patazhentar..........

..........................Ivarov.................. ........

I pretty much have used used all the different tactics already but I like the ball possession ones and I'm fooling around with everything else. I just want opinions... I did start out with pressing on high but now I have it medium I believe. Although online does not seem to matter if your players fatigue like offline I noticed. Maybe I'm wrong.. but so far that is one of my minor complaints with MLO and the fact that I think the games are to short to really get a great real match in. However, I'm still addicted to this MLO just releasing and buying players.. lol

I do not get how to get into a competition though? I will post more later regarding tactics later... right now I'm still fooling around with things. but I want to hear what people like using or use so post here.

Does anyone know of a way we can match up with eachother with our MLO teams? we should try this as I rather play with my MLO team... I love seeing what my opponent has on their team and if one of their players impress me I take notice.

Thanks for creating thread Bahnzo

Last edited by steveeee; 10-27-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:10 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 5

I think this is where the game shines. I just spent a half-hour in training mode tinkering with the strategies, and I noticed that if I pushed my defensive line up high and keep the closing down to standard, I was able to create 2-3 strong lines of defense that made it difficult for the computer to break down. I was getting frustrated with what another poster in the impressions thread talked about, the fact that through balls from the CPU weren't being played by your defenders - and this made the through ball less of a possibility.

I found that in earlier PES - like, the Winning Eleven series' on the PS2 - that I would assign a couple different strategies and formations for when I had the ball (more offensive), and one for without it (dropping guys back). It worked well, esp when simulating international football, in that there just wasn't space for the CPU to exploit and made sure your team wasn't just single-minded.

I'd love to hear what specific settings people like.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:15 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahnzo
So...anyone feel like talking tactics?

I'm really kind of lost right now. I like to play down the wings and either cut inside or put crosses into the box, but I'm finding that difficult so far. I'm mostly having trouble getting guys to go on runs forward. And even if I do get guys down the wings, there is often no one available for a cross into the box. Any ideas?

I've been messing with the strategy settings and trying different combinations of support and offensive stuff, but nothing really seems to work.
This is what I mean for a couple different settings to use for your team. If you want to get some runs into the box for crosses, I think you'd need to turn the player support level down so they'd be further away (I can't remember the specific language for this, sorry!).

Try playing with Barca (I know, not fun). Their offensive settings are interesting - you can tell that their default setting in formation is more compact with the fwds not as high up the field - and the strategies I found a lot of guys making late runs forward into the box from midfield, allowing me to cut some passes from the wings instead of crosses to short players in the box, which is what Barca does.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:38 AM   #5
MVP

ezio's Arena

OVR: 19

One thing I noticed when playing with Bayern Munich in the demo is that if I went to the strategies where you define how you want to play in the 15 minute increments and deleted everything they seemed to attack more.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-28-2010, 06:52 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 17

Do you guys do the defend/attack change in the game menu? If you are on offense I use this all the time to have players go forward and sit back when needed. I think it's L2 and R1. That's an old PES strategy to set the mindset of the game without having to edit your tactics.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:09 PM   #7
MVP

teambayern's Arena

OVR: 20

Bahnzo, as for the players making runs issue, I solved this by editing the player support settings. I felt my wingers and CMF weren't getting forward enough, and found upping the level of support to make a world of difference. Boupa Dioup (CMF) now hovers above the 18 yard box, waiting to blast a crazy shot for a long range goal.

Btw, I highly recommend him for your ML. I took him on to shore up my DMF spot, but he has proved far more valuable. He is, quite simply, a beast. He stands tall and at 90 body balance, he'll win every header in sight in the middle. He also has 90s shot power, so can blast in long rangers as mentioned above. Probably the best, most impactful player I have, along with Shevchenko.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:44 PM   #8
Banned

steveeee's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Do you guys do the defend/attack change in the game menu? If you are on offense I use this all the time to have players go forward and sit back when needed. I think it's L2 and R1. That's an old PES strategy to set the mindset of the game without having to edit your tactics.
in the game menu? I haven't did that yet.. but I do this while in match..this makes a big difference.. I couldn't do this sometimes when in matches but I figured it out if you have assisted controls on it will not let you manually do this in the match so I reccomend to take this off as this helps out a lot imo. but for individual players attack and defend like the old pes? also man mark settings? I think this is only avaible offline maybe but I can't figure how to do those things when playing MLO

Last edited by steveeee; 10-29-2010 at 06:47 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »