Home

PES 17: Things to improve on

This is a discussion on PES 17: Things to improve on within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-01-2016, 01:42 AM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: PES 17: Things to improve on

I think it is for sure to keep the game competitive. I imagine it is incredibly difficult to make a game that plays fair while remaining competitive. Perhaps with how manoeuvrable players are in this game, without the physical game play it would be very hard to defend or dispossess the attacker.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2016, 12:39 PM   #34
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmel07
This part I get. I played three games last night, and I felt like I was getting slammed to the ground all over the pitch with not a single foul called on the CPU. I think that just goes back to the lack of fouls. I'd be okay with the physical play if it resulted in more free kicks and cards.

Two of the games I played last night were against top table teams, and the physical factor was off the charts. I battled hard though and really lost because I couldn't finish.

I do find myself thinking sometimes about how aggressive the AI is when you have the ball around their box. Normally you still get room to maneuver and there are even stand-still times for both the offense and defense down there that you don't get in any footy game. Probably because the AI needs to clear you from their end of the field, so they are ulta-aggresive down there to keep the game competitive (maybe, just a theory).
I was also getting very frustrated by the lack of fouls by CPU teams and still think it should be higher but found a way to make more of them occur. You have to be sure to change direction when they are coming in for a tackle so that they hit you more from the side or behind instead of from the front. A quick change in direction can draw several fouls a game. I still get called for many more than the CPU but this has helped a bit.

Like was also mentioned, it seems like some games have a certain predetermined way things are going to go. You might not always lose but every few games I get one where telling my players to go on a run just sees them jog slowly forward instead of actually sprinting, every header will fly way over the goal, and my players will go offside 3-4 times in one match. This is usually coupled with errant passes, players not taking possession of a ball right in front of them, and the CPU getting every ball that is knocked away. I had a series of FIVE tackles in a row where I knocked the ball away without a foul and it just shot over to another opposing player. And I mean literally in a row...like within 15 seconds. It's just lame.

I think if they allowed for a little more erratic play in EVERY game it would add some realism without you feeling cheated. I hate how I can play 5 games where everything goes smoothly (win or lose) then have 5 games where I can't get my players to do anything even if they are in good condition.

Also, for whoever mentioned the slide tackles, timing is key. If the opposing player has the ball at his feet then you have a higher chance of getting called for a foul as attempting the tackle will shoot you towards his feet because that's where the ball is. I try to run along side the CPU just a bit ahead of him and wait for him to sprint so the ball has to come out in front of him more. Try sliding in front of him and you'll be more successful because your player goes for the ball, not his feet. I've only recently started using the slide tackle a lot and this method has been pretty successful. Of course I still miss the timing sometimes and end up with yellow cards here and there but nothing too drastic.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:46 AM   #35
Pro

I would love to see a clear (well visible) message telling me that one of my player is seriously injured and will not be able to play again. So many times I get caught playing several game minutes (10min+) with a man down because of this. To bad there is not something a la fifa forcing you to make the change.

Ah yes, and may be tuning down the cpu aggressiveness in rival games. Every rival game is not a old firm derby.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-10-2016, 09:59 AM   #36
Rookie

Three things that must go for me are the "tackle stuns", the AI buff when you sprint, no matter when you sprint, and the inability to shoot in the box when defenders are present.

The third one is particularly frustrating. If I boot up PES 18's demo and press the shoot button in the box, only to have the animation take so long to start that it finishes AFTER the CPU already swiped the ball off my feet, I'm going to freak right out. LOL
Old 12-13-2016, 08:17 AM   #37
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bredfan
Three things that must go for me are the "tackle stuns", the AI buff when you sprint, no matter when you sprint, and the inability to shoot in the box when defenders are present.

The third one is particularly frustrating. If I boot up PES 18's demo and press the shoot button in the box, only to have the animation take so long to start that it finishes AFTER the CPU already swiped the ball off my feet, I'm going to freak right out. LOL
Good call on these. All quite noticeable and all need to be addressed. Especially shooting in the box. I have to rely so much on crosses/headers because I can't get a shot off in the box most of the time and when I do, it's blocked 75% of the time. The CPU can shoot through traffic all day long though.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:30 AM   #38
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bredfan

I absolutely hate the stun animation when you lose the ball and you're temporarily paralyzed but I like how in PES you can actually miss the ball when trying to shoot if you press the button too early.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:20 PM   #39
Rookie

jmel07's Arena

Here's my latest list of gameplay "things to clean up for PES 18" after my first 60 hours on the game:
  1. Duplicated animations of players who are standing next to each other
  2. Goalkeepers need improved cut scene animations. I'm sick of seeing them give you the "get the f outta here" hand taunt or whatever it is.
  3. Clock/game stopping on throw-ins. Needs to be fluid.
  4. On long balls in the air, my speed burst is curbed if it means I'm going outrun the AI defense. Drives me crazy, but I get its there for competitiveness.
  5. There just have to be more fouls/cards called against the AI, especially when they see fit to destroy me in the box.
  6. Reaction time of my players on loose balls vs. the AI. If the AI can recognize it instantly, so should my players
  7. Some of the best football played in this game is in the rain, or when you play against a really physical team. Make that the norm, not the exception.
  8. The AI has never seen a forward pass it didn't want to make, unless you're DIRECTLY in line with the passing angles they need/want to make. Increase the "decision zone" for passing for the AI, not every needle can be threaded or should be tried. This would create more back passes and lateral passes.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:38 AM   #40
Pro

It has already been mentioned by others but shooting in this game is very weak. In the game, there is very little pleasure in what should be one most rewarding moment of football (I am using manual shooting by the way). Same with the cpu, it always seems to want to blast the ball. I would love more variations in trajectories, power, influence of contact part of the foot ect...
Fifa 16 was way better in that department.

Strangely enough free kicks are comparatively awesome.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »