Home

The Audiophile Thread

This is a discussion on The Audiophile Thread within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-16-2015, 07:09 PM   #393
All Star

Sinner's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: The Audiophile Thread

May be a long shot but what the hell I'll try. I'm driving my brothers Expedition from time to time, he said it's basically mine since I put so much money into getting it on the road again. It has a nice system in it but the thing is the radio doesn't play right now.

There is a Pioneer avh-p7600dvd and the screen doesn't work. He's said that if I get the screen fixed it will work fine and there is a place I can take it that can get it fixed for around 150$

The screen comes out and everything but no music no matter what. When I keep the screen in I can see it's on tuner setting or cd but still no music. I can change the volume and everything....shouldn't something be playing even if the screen is not working right?

I have reset it to see if that would work but still it doesn't. Any thoughts or ideas?

Last edited by Sinner; 07-16-2015 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:37 PM   #394
All Star

SuperBowlNachos's Arena

OVR: 21

Boo! Looks like I'm moving to an apartment from my parents' house. This is bad for my audiophile needs. I'm thinking I'll leave the good equipment there and get an average 3.0 system or just flake out totally and do a decent soundbar for now. Most of my movie watching lately has been at my girlfriend's and all she has is my old plasma with no external sound.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:05 PM   #395
It's 5 o'clock somewhere

beau21's Arena

OVR: 24

Hate to do it, but I've got a noob post to... post.

I just picked up the Pioneer SP-PK52FS Andrew Jones 5.1 Home Theater Speaker Package on sale to pair with my Onkyo TX-NR636 7.2-Ch Receiver.

I'm hoping that some of y'all can give me some pointers with the setup.

I have everything up and running, but what I'm not sure about is the "listening modes". [There's so many!] I'd love any and all feedback or opinions on optimal mode settings here for different uses. I mostly watch/play everything through my PS4 -- I'm either playing sports games, watching Netflix, or watching Blu-Rays (mostly action/adventure genre). There are so many options from 'All Ch Stereo', 'Direct', 'Dolby Digital', 'DTS', 'Full-Mono', 'Multichannel', 'Games - Sport', 'Stereo'... etc. etc. I've read the manual that describes these so I think I have a basic idea of their differences, but I thought y'all might have some recommendations!

In the spoiler is snapshots of all the modes the receiver has just as a more in depth FYI.

Again, any and all suggestions or comments are appreciated!

Spoiler
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2015, 08:33 PM   #396
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Using a UMIK-1 mic and the REW software I did some calibration with my audio equipment given my living space. I was always concerned about certain lower frequencies playing really bloated compared to others, so I went to those immediately. 40Hz always played 12dB higher than 30Hz and 50Hz, which sounded really weird when there was a low frequency sweep for some effects.

While I attended to that immediately, I also attacked the upper effects that cause Klipsch speakers to sound so bright. I'm not used to the new sound, but I appreciate it so much more. It will take some time to get acclimated to, but anybody who's anybody would prefer the cleanness that louder films will have now without needing too much bloated punch.

Now, it's definitely not perfect, far from it actually. I have zero room treatments and didn't move anything to accommodate for my changes. This was just a simple adjustment, like getting Best Buy Geek Squad to calibrate your television set versus D-Nice or Chad B.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 08-06-2015, 10:10 PM   #397
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau21

I just picked up the Pioneer SP-PK52FS Andrew Jones 5.1 Home Theater Speaker Package on sale to pair with my Onkyo TX-NR636 7.2-Ch Receiver.

I have everything up and running, but what I'm not sure about is the "listening modes". [There's so many!] I'd love any and all feedback or opinions on optimal mode settings here for different uses. I mostly watch/play everything through my PS4 -- I'm either playing sports games, watching Netflix, or watching Blu-Rays (mostly action/adventure genre). There are so many options from 'All Ch Stereo', 'Direct', 'Dolby Digital', 'DTS', 'Full-Mono', 'Multichannel', 'Games - Sport', 'Stereo'... etc. etc. I've read the manual that describes these so I think I have a basic idea of their differences, but I thought y'all might have some recommendations!

In the spoiler is snapshots of all the modes the receiver has just as a more in depth FYI.

Spoiler

Honestly, it comes down to what YOU like. Try all those settings and stick with the one you like.

The main thing you want to make sure of is that you're getting lossless audio on blu rays.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:28 PM   #398
Your Go-to TV Expert

Scott's Arena

OVR: 52

Thoughts on Polk RTI A7s?
Old 08-08-2015, 07:17 PM   #399
All Star

RAZRr1275's Arena

OVR: 67

Any headphone guys around here? What's your setup? Seems like there are a lot of speaker guys around here
Old 08-10-2015, 11:02 AM   #400
All Star

SuperBowlNachos's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau21

Spoiler
Which of those can you actually select on the unit itself?

It's whatever you like best, but I'd recommend just using direct. You shouldn't have to research what source your blu-ray is and select the according mode (DTS, Dolby, etc).

Sport, game, etc are all gimmicks that change the sound. You may like them, just have to play around.

I use what is "all ch sterero" or just "stereo" to listen to music on my setup. All channel will make every speaker output the same audio so you have music coming from all angles. Just "stereo" should make it 2.1 which would be a more traditional sound and give you the left and right effects like you get with headphones.

Last edited by SuperBowlNachos; 08-10-2015 at 11:25 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »