Home

The Audiophile Thread

This is a discussion on The Audiophile Thread within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-04-2016, 02:52 PM   #409
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: The Audiophile Thread

That's still a big room, even if the hallway is open. If you went sealed, it would be awesome if you went dual-subs. Smooth frequencies across all seating arrangements without many nulls, hitting the lows if possible.

If you could get a couple of SB-12's or something, You probably wouldn't ever look back. It doesn't sound like it's in your budget though. The good news about SVS is that you have a 45 day return policy and you have a year to exchange straight up for an upgrade (paying the difference), so maybe you consider going one sub there now, and then you can either add on or upgrade from there a year from now. But you want to have some headroom and not overwork your sub.

You do realize that at minimum you're looking at a 7000 ft^3 room, minus the hallway. I'd work hard in terms of research on what you should get for a sub is all I'm saying. That's a lot of territory.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

Last edited by Blzer; 01-04-2016 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:28 PM   #410
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

OVR: 35
The Audiophile Thread

Well I want to start off with a 5.1 system, I figure with the Receiver I will be able to upgrade in future. I will definitely run extra wires if I want to add another sub or rear speakers. I know future proofing anything technology related is foolhardy but I hope this system will at least be a good starting point.

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC using Tapatalk

Last edited by Cusefan; 01-04-2016 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:57 PM   #411
All Star

SuperBowlNachos's Arena

OVR: 21

Your receiver should be good for a while unless you get catch the bug and start getting into some high end equipment.

Do you currently sit at the very back of the room like that old furniture was set up? If you do I would get whatever length of RCA cable that is needed and have your sub back by your seating area.

Don't test out a bigger sub unless you actually want it. I promise if you did a trial with SVS there is a 0% chance you send it back lol.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-04-2016, 05:11 PM   #412
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

OVR: 35

I think I will have a similar furniture setup, maybe move the couch a foot off the wall so it will be in the sweet spot for the surround sound. I am a newb at all of this so it will be something I learn a long the way. Should I save a bit more now so I can have a 7.1?

Old 01-04-2016, 05:39 PM   #413
All Star

SuperBowlNachos's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusefan
I think I will have a similar furniture setup, maybe move the couch a foot off the wall so it will be in the sweet spot for the surround sound. I am a newb at all of this so it will be something I learn a long the way. Should I save a bit more now so I can have a 7.1?

I would personally save up more so the .1 in a 5.1 can be bigger and better. I think you'll get more satisfaction out of nice/better bass than you would from 2 additional normal speakers behind you.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:47 PM   #414
Me?

shon's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
That's still a big room, even if the hallway is open. If you went sealed, it would be awesome if you went dual-subs. Smooth frequencies across all seating arrangements without many nulls, hitting the lows if possible.

If you could get a couple of SB-12's or something, You probably wouldn't ever look back. It doesn't sound like it's in your budget though. The good news about SVS is that you have a 45 day return policy and you have a year to exchange straight up for an upgrade (paying the difference), so maybe you consider going one sub there now, and then you can either add on or upgrade from there a year from now. But you want to have some headroom and not overwork your sub.

You do realize that at minimum you're looking at a 7000 ft^3 room, minus the hallway. I'd work hard in terms of research on what you should get for a sub is all I'm saying. That's a lot of territory.
I have a large open game room, 50x20, the theater part with seats is about 20x20, and I initially only had 1 SVS PC12-Plus cylinder sub, which is a large sub, but it wasn't enough to have the bass sound great from all the seating areas. I eventually had to go with a 2nd one and it made a huge difference so you really want to think about going with 2 subs. You may can build a sub to save costs as the initial investment for 2 subs is usually quite large.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:51 PM   #415
Me?

shon's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBowlNachos
I would personally save up more so the .1 in a 5.1 can be bigger and better. I think you'll get more satisfaction out of nice/better bass than you would from 2 additional normal speakers behind you.
I agree, the extra umph from a good sub will be better than having the extra 2 speakers. I have a 9.2 setup and the extra speakers adds a bit to the experience but having a nice bass really adds to the watching/playing experience.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-04-2016, 06:58 PM   #416
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBowlNachos
Do you currently sit at the very back of the room like that old furniture was set up? If you do I would get whatever length of RCA cable that is needed and have your sub back by your seating area.
Yes, nearfield is pretty much an automatic given for him. Place one behind the couch or something, for sure.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »