Home

EXTRA-EXTRA...Generic NFL Game Probable

This is a discussion on EXTRA-EXTRA...Generic NFL Game Probable within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-24-2004, 10:35 AM   #33
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: EXTRA-EXTRA...Generic NFL Game Probable

Another thing, that could solidfy the generic genre of professional football. Is the face blending technology that VC introduce in 2k5, so their will not be silohette, you will at least put a face to the name. Yes I know it duplicated faces, but that was year one of the technology and it will probably do the same in year two, but the fact still remains that you will put a face to the name. Or they could go the NBA route of making the face polygonal, the ones that they used for the classic NBA teams, these are pretty good looking models.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:26 PM   #34
Rookie

MrTennessee's Arena

OVR: 3

for you older gamers name me some games that had generic names and what not on it? im trying to remember of a few but wasnt like some text based GM football game one?
Old 12-24-2004, 12:54 PM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 1

Atari Football
Ten Yard Fight
Tecmo Bowl (Had real players, but only selected teams)
John Elway Quarterback

That's all I can really remember, but I think there were a few more. Of course, this was early gaming and we've gone far beyond that now.

The latest sports games I can remember without licensing was Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball (only Jr. was named) and the Bases Loaded series.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-24-2004, 01:10 PM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 4

Yeah quite honestly I believe the dude as well...

At this point I think the title that is MOST up in the air is 2k7 not 2k6.

The reason... 2k6 has a lot of time and energy into it already I'm sure. So I bet they just made the decision to create the game with generics and then see how it sells.

The biggest thing that the developers will have to create is of course an offline editor. Making something were you can take a saved roster set from the game, download it and then use some kind of program on the computer to edit it.

Now...as far as stadiums go...who know how they'll overcome that hurdle because you cannot fake Tampa Bay's stadium or Detroit's they have some really specific landmarks in them like the pirate ship or the glass wall.

That said...they could potentially create a stadium creator that could allow you to expand the franchise mode with the stadium management type things that you find in text-sim games like Championship Manager.

I'm pretty positive after venting my frustrations. I know that even if they don't release a new and remarkable game after 2k6 at least I can use that game to keep up with rosters and such...unless the NFL adds a new team...
Old 12-24-2004, 01:14 PM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by backbreaker
Point #2: VC, can use the last name in the database, the city name, and those city teams colors. It was done on Madden N64.
Read the press release. The team colors are owned by the NFL. You cannot have a team from Oakland with Silver & Black.

Similarly, the coaches are not a part of the NFLPA, but they do have their own liscensing. So...I'd imagine that they aren't going to hold on the NFL's arrangement or the NFLPA's arrangement. That wouldn't make a whole lot of sense...

In my time playing Madden & the 2K series...I really haven't noticed that much play innovation between releases. They tweak some plays, but they usually don't add a ton of new plays or take out a ton. It's really minor. So they wouldn't be violating anything now by just referring to the VIPs and playbooks by the city names because the NFL likeness is NOT tied to a specific city...
Old 12-24-2004, 01:58 PM   #38
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by medlinke
Read the press release. The team colors are owned by the NFL. You cannot have a team from Oakland with Silver & Black.

Similarly, the coaches are not a part of the NFLPA, but they do have their own liscensing. So...I'd imagine that they aren't going to hold on the NFL's arrangement or the NFLPA's arrangement. That wouldn't make a whole lot of sense...

In my time playing Madden & the 2K series...I really haven't noticed that much play innovation between releases. They tweak some plays, but they usually don't add a ton of new plays or take out a ton. It's really minor. So they wouldn't be violating anything now by just referring to the VIPs and playbooks by the city names because the NFL likeness is NOT tied to a specific city...
Yes you can use the colors my friend. Go play madden on the N64 and you'll see that you can use the colors. Raiders Silver and Black, just change it to Gray and Black. Just like Reebok has exclusive rights to make jerseys for the NFL, another jersey maker can make the jersey using those colors, it just can't use emblems or resemble that emblem, but they can make the jersey and say Oakland.
My friend, they can use
Old 12-24-2004, 04:17 PM   #39
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by backbreaker
Ability Icons/Player personality, the more I think about it, the more I feel that this is the way to go, I believe its the only solution to surplant the lack of, NFL players. Here's my early list of Ability icons, let me know whatcha think. Obviously taken from the NBA game and some addittions.

ICON Ability

Foot Speed(for those players with a speed rating 87 or higher)
CrossHair QB/FG kicker, that is an accurate thrower or FG kicker
Pancake for good to great OLine blockers
Blanket for great shutdown corners
? Mark this one has many options and its for the gamer to figure
out, personality problem, or puzzled about his assignment
coupled with weekly prep, you can hone in on the prob-
lem and minimize/maximize the situation.

A Star Of course this is a guy who is gifted, and can either do
things at a high level.

Hand Players that can catch

1stAid icon For players playing hurt.

I know you guys are saying, thats too much on the screen, let me remind you, that this is all presnap and icons can change just like the NBA game, from moment to moment. I think VC calls it on the fly ability icons. But it will used as a great scouting tool and also allows you too see what type of player you have on your squad. Without looking at ratings and because they are not NFL players, makes it easy too identify star players and how they should perform.

Chime in and see if this idea makes it a little more appealing.
I think all of your ideas are excellent. The things that you have mentioned will appeal to those of us who are open minded and simply interested in the best "NFL style" football experience. I don't think any of those folks who are obsessed with team colors, logos, stadiums, and "real players" are going to be swayed at all by any improvements no matter how innovative. If they can't pop in the disc- and play with Randy Moss, wearing VIKING purple and white, with THE Viking symbol on the helmet, in THE Metrodome,- right away, then that game is dead to them. Unfortunately that seems to be most people. Look at all the people who find NCAA football "unplayable" with only the player names missing, and those that switched from MM to Choops just because of not being able to name all 300 plus teams. I don't know why, but this stuff is very important to most people. I guess their level of immersion is generated primarily by external visual cues, as opposed to internal psychological ones.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 12-24-2004, 05:10 PM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
I guess their level of immersion is generated primarily by external visual cues, as opposed to internal psychological ones.
Great quote! I'm for the GAMEPLAY not the visual bells and whistles. VC excels in the gameplay area!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »