Home

Madden would be getting "LIVED"!!!

This is a discussion on Madden would be getting "LIVED"!!! within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-21-2007, 12:29 PM   #57
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: Madden would be getting "LIVED"!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown1211
Obviously EA was not vulnerable at all. lol They just felt like spending hundreds of millions of dollars securing any exclusive licsense under the sun because the money was burning a hole lin their pocket. Just think of all that cash you could have saved them. You should have wrote them a letter and told them there was no need to secure all those exclusive rights. Including the MIGHTY arena league deal. lmao Please tell me howsecuring that deal doesnt screm fear on EA's part.

Just the fact that your in a forum discussing a game that doesnt even exist yet and hasnt existed for 3 years should tell you exactly what EA feared. EA was vulnerable period. "Your" game is still alive and well, but you feel the need to still defend it againt a game that doesnt exist. I think that speaks for itself.
LOL, good points, EA had too much cash at stake to let anyone threaten that. i dont think they thought it would happen in 06. but after NFL2k5 they knew that from that game forward the comp was now SERIOUS!

Last edited by TeeDogg; 02-21-2007 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:34 PM   #58
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
What it tells me is that some people can't see the forest for the trees. In terms of the big picture, a hundred or so posters on a message board aren't even a blip on the radar. The idea that the hardcore fringe represents some sort of mortal threat to EA is laughable.

we always hear what a small portion of the market we are ( and that is true) but i think we represent a larger market than some think. still nowhere close to the number of casual gamers. but i think we represent a cross section of gamers on a larger scale.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:41 PM   #59
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
What it tells me is that some people can't see the forest for the trees. In terms of the big picture, a hundred or so posters on a message board aren't even a blip on the radar. The idea that the hardcore fringe represents some sort of mortal threat to EA is laughable.

Then a simple question for you. Why did EA do what they did ? If you really think they spent hundreds of millions of dollars just to sway a few hundred guys on a message board then your the one with vision problems.

And who cares who owns all ? I mean thats EA mentality. Everything doesnt have to be a monopoly man. We just want are game back. We dont need 2K to own the universe or dethrone Madden. You act as if a game cant be successful unless its #1 in sales rankings. When you dont spend BILLIONS in licsening fees, marketing, ect...... you have a lot less overhead to make up for. 2K doent need to be #1 in sales to be financially successful. But EA does.
Minnesota Wild
Old 02-21-2007, 12:41 PM   #60
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Obviously EA was not vulnerable at all. lol They just felt like spending hundreds of millions of dollars securing any exclusive licsense under the sun because the money was burning a hole lin their pocket. Just think of all that cash you could have saved them. You should have wrote them a letter and told them there was no need to secure all those exclusive rights. Including the MIGHTY arena league deal. lmao Please tell me howsecuring that deal doesnt screm fear on EA's part.
The way I understand it, it was the NFL that decided to go with an exclusive license to the highest bidder. Since EA has far deeper pockets than 2K it would have been stupid for them not to pony up the money to secure the deal since Madden would have been out of business otherwise. That's not fear, it's just simple business common sense.

I don't like the exclusive license agreement and I haven't been happy with the next gen versions of Madden, but let's not make stuff up about fear of NFL 2K being the primary motivation. It was a smart business deal and if I'd been running EA Sports I damn well would have done the same.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:48 PM   #61
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk76
The way I understand it, it was the NFL that decided to go with an exclusive license to the highest bidder. Since EA has far deeper pockets than 2K it would have been stupid for them not to pony up the money to secure the deal since Madden would have been out of business otherwise. That's not fear, it's just simple business common sense.

I don't like the exclusive license agreement and I haven't been happy with the next gen versions of Madden, but let's not make stuff up about fear of NFL 2K being the primary motivation. It was a smart business deal and if I'd been running EA Sports I damn well would have done the same.

I think the point being if the NFL lisence was forced by the NFL..ok.....well why go out and get an exclusive lisence for every marketable form of north american football?..................an exclusive arena league deal?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2007, 12:49 PM   #62
MVP

Quote:
Then a simple question for you. Why did EA do what they did ? If you really think they spent hundreds of millions of dollars just to sway a few hundred guys on a message board then your the one with vision problems.
lol,,,good point
Old 02-21-2007, 01:02 PM   #63
MVP

FlyingFinn's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeDogg
I think the point being if the NFL lisence was forced by the NFL..ok.....well why go out and get an exclusive lisence for every marketable form of north american football?..................an exclusive arena league deal?
My sentiments exactly. If EA wasn't scared of VC's football development, why gobble up the NCAA and Arena football rights. Hell, they even went so far as signing as many legends as they could since it was rumored VC was working on a legends game.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:04 PM   #64
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk76

This has nothing to do with who wanted the deal. Eventhough I disagree with the whole theory of the NFL wanting it. But who cares.

The fact is EA paid an estimated 300 million for that deal. Why on Earth would they do that if there was no fear of losing market share ??? The ONLY way that deal is worth 300 mil to EA is because they feared having their market share tapped into by 2k. If not. No way in he11 they pay that much money for nothing.

And what about the other licsenses?
Minnesota Wild

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »