Home

The Original John Madden Football Gameplay Video

This is a discussion on The Original John Madden Football Gameplay Video within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-13-2014, 09:38 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 13
You know, I commented recently about something like this. I firmly believe older gamers that were exposed to earlier generations (I go back to Turbo Graf-X 16) simply have more of an appreciation for games today. That doesn't mean we aren't critical, but we also know where this medium comes from, and how much of an achievement games are today, regardless of whether they're "broken" experiences or not. Seeing guys complain that they can't download proper rosters or cry about whether or not a player is the proper skin color is funny. I'm surprised they got anything that looks like skin lol...

Last edited by jdareal21; 01-13-2014 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:28 AM   #34
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: The Original John Madden Football Gameplay Video

I actually feel bad for kids today. Sure, there game is insanely better than what I had. I started out with the hand held, Atari, and a football card game. But I had something these kids never had...those wow moments. When I first popped in tecmo and realized it had real players, the first time I turned on Game day and saw the intro with a real nfl montage, the first time I saw nfl2ks halftime show.

Madden is all these kids know, if they started on ps3 or Xbox360 then they've really never experienced a moment like that. That's a shame.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:43 PM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 2
I remember the Madden game in the video but never played it ! I started playing Madden on the old 16-bit SNES and Genesis consoles in the early 1990s ! Games have come a long way and time has passed ! Wow !
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2014, 05:45 PM   #36
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose616
Pepperidge Farm remembers.

I recently bought a modernized Sega Genesis from Groupon, and a handful of my old cartridges still work! John Madden 92-98, Joe Montana 92-93, Primetime, MLBPA Sports Talk, NHL 94, NBA Jam.

I've already decided that when I have a son, that's what will get hooked into the TV in his room, so he can appreciate where dad's games came from. Of course, he can also join me on the PS5 in the living room
I remember the Madden game in the video but never played it ! I started playing Madden on the old 16-bit SNES and Genesis consoles in the early 1990s ! Games have come a long way and time has passed ! Wow !
Old 01-14-2014, 05:58 PM   #37
Rookie

Quote:

I recently bought a modernized Sega Genesis from Groupon, and a handful of my old cartridges still work! John Madden 92-98, Joe Montana 92-93, Primetime, MLBPA Sports Talk, NHL 94, NBA Jam.

I've already decided that when I have a son, that's what will get hooked into the TV in his room, so he can appreciate where dad's games came from. Of course, he can also join me on the PS5 in the living room
I remember playing Joe Montana Sports Talk, ABC Monday Night Football, Konami NFL, Tecmo Super Bowl (Bo Jackson was unstoppable). Ten Yard Fight, NFL Gameday, Front Page Sports: Football, Bill Walsh College Football, NCAA Gamebreaker, NFL Quarterback Club, NFL Fever (awful game), John Elway Quarterback, and Super Play Action football ! Ahhhh the memories !
Old 01-14-2014, 09:38 PM   #38
MVP

DrUrsus's Arena

OVR: 46
My God! As old as I am, I have never seen this version of Madden before. I started playing it in the Genesis days when I was in College. My first football game "love" was Super Tecmo Bowl. That game was awesome for its time with the real NFL and real players. It also kept stats which John Madden Football didn't do for some time.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:39 PM   #39
MVP

DrUrsus's Arena

OVR: 46
Quote:

Joe Montana Football. That was better than Madden for a couple of years.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:45 PM   #40
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: The Original John Madden Football Gameplay Video

You know I don't think the main bone of contention with the series these days is lack of progress per se, but more regressions that have taken place within the series itself, and of course, what 2k5 still does better.

I am not looking to start a debate, so don't worry. I enjoy Madden for what it is, and don't really care to engage in the internet criticism at my age. I can appreciate just how far these games have come as anyone. I first got in to Madden on the SNES. I cannot imagine how I ever had fun with it, but it sure captured my imagination back then.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »