Home

The Original John Madden Football Gameplay Video

This is a discussion on The Original John Madden Football Gameplay Video within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-30-2014, 09:35 AM   #49
Banned

OVR: 5
Re: The Original John Madden Football Gameplay Video

I still have the PC version of this.

I remember how amazing it was to actually see the players executing the play you called. Up until that time all my football gaming was done with board games...Paydirt, Football Strategy, Stratomatic, and Statis Pro...anybody remember these games? Of course there was no AI so you had to play both sides and I had a number of ways to randomize the play calling of the other team...good times!!

Last edited by treq21; 07-30-2014 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:37 AM   #50
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedExPope
ahah wow, it looks sooooooooo bad. It's just impossible for me to imagine that was ever considered fun.
It was incredibly fun. You cant miss what you have never seen. And this was a huge step up from anything else that was out there.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:42 AM   #51
Tiger Paw

tyberious4now's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Lax 33
This is why i never complain about graphics. I've been gaming for 40 years and can remember playing the original Madden, plus all the Atari sports games before that, where there were 3 players on each team and they all moved in unison.

Gaming today is amazing and just taking a look back at videos like this should bring an appreciation for where things are today.
Man you are telling your age...lol I remember this as well that's why I don't complain about anything madden has to offer because I know what I came from....lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2014, 12:00 PM   #52
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Lax 33
This is why i never complain about graphics. I've been gaming for 40 years and can remember playing the original Madden, plus all the Atari sports games before that, where there were 3 players on each team and they all moved in unison.

Gaming today is amazing and just taking a look back at videos like this should bring an appreciation for where things are today.
Same here brother...

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 07-30-2014, 01:30 PM   #53
Rookie

OVR: 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq4CobNxgJM

I actually played this T.I. 99 "football" game....it blew away Atari and even Intellivision by having 11 guys on each team!!!

Thanks for the nostaliga!!
Old 07-30-2014, 01:38 PM   #54
MVP

iLLWiLL's Arena

OVR: 10

Anybody play NES PlayAction Football? It had this top-down view with the field at like a 45-degree angle. When I was a kid, back in the late 80s, my Pops didn't know any better, knew nothing about Tecmo Bowl or madden, and he probably just bought that game for me probably because it was cheap, lol. Anyways, the game really sucked, lol.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:43 PM   #55
MVP

iLLWiLL's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceMask
Montana was more sim and realistic, but Madden had better gameplay.
I wouldn't say that. Montana's graphics always blew madden's out of the water (which, as a kid, was why i got it). But madden's gameplay was much better, and funner. Montana's passing game was good, but the running game terrible, non-existent. At least with madden you had to dive to tackle someone. In montana, the ballcarrier would go down just by being touched...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2014, 01:52 PM   #56
MVP

friscob's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLWiLL
I wouldn't say that. Montana's graphics always blew madden's out of the water (which, as a kid, was why i got it). But madden's gameplay was much better, and funner. Montana's passing game was good, but the running game terrible, non-existent. At least with madden you had to dive to tackle someone. In montana, the ballcarrier would go down just by being touched...
I remember doing laps around the field in Montana's with barry sanders just spinning non stop lol. And ppl complain theres no defense in madden 25!

Still play the NES tecmo bowl from time to time, never really got into madden until the Ps2 editions

2014 Cleveland Browns 13-3
2015 Cleveland Browns 6-1
GT: MouthyRat

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »