Home

Pre-season games - meaningless?

This is a discussion on Pre-season games - meaningless? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-05-2014, 11:26 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Pre-season games - meaningless?

for preseason I would usually put it to 2 minute quarters and play every game

If i do not play every game - starters and big money guys get injured every time
Old 08-05-2014, 11:27 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorSupreme
My only beef with the preseason in Madden is that both in-game and in simulation, only second-string players are subbed in.
I agree. Wish it went 2nd string 2nd quarter, 3rd string 3rd quarter, 4th - whoever you want

Also wish it was as easy to put all 2nd stringers as it was in NCAA football.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:48 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 0

I think currently they are meaningless but it could also be a great opportunity for EA to make this a "must play" feature of CFM. I could see them turning this into a mini-game add on to CFM or some kind of evaluation system. The ideas are limitless, now we just wait for EA to make the move.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:10 PM   #20
MVP

friscob's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
My only beef with the preseason in Madden is that both in-game and in simulation, only second-string players are subbed in.
Or that starters get subbed back in and also become special teams players later in the game. Game badly needs formation subs

2014 Cleveland Browns 13-3
2015 Cleveland Browns 6-1
GT: MouthyRat
Old 08-05-2014, 04:14 PM   #21
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Yup, this is my only problem with preseason, just fired up a new franchise the other day and only to have Calvin Johnson pick off my QB because he was in the secondary due to the lack of more realistic roster depth and management in the preseason.

Enjoy very much trying out my backup QBs, RBs, WRs... wish I could set a philosophy either for the preseason or per preseason game about how much to play starters, 2nd string, 3rd string rather than Starters and 2nd string automatically.

Useless? Pretty easily refuted, thats a product of using an absolute term without context that paints you into a corner though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2014, 04:27 PM   #22
@HoundsOfHowl

HoundsOfHowl's Arena

OVR: 5

EA DEV'S PLEASE READ

Maybe to add on to preseason we could have a setting before each game. Like quarter setting. You would choose what string of players you want playing in each quarter. Or even a minute slider.

Could have a slider for all 3 strings or whatever and fill them out by how many minutes your settings are set to.

This way in the first game you could limit your starters to only say 10 minutes/60.

Then work them in or out as the preseason goes.

- Also I would love to see announcing make a difference between preseason and regular season.

- Also if they would change ratings and get rid of overalls you could really have good positional battles. Because most people wouldn't look just at depth chart overalls. You would look at positional stats to base your decisions and watch how they work in preseason.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:32 PM   #23
Pro

Indyboy180's Arena

OVR: 5

Have they fixed the bug where you played the same four teams over and over each new season in Madden? I remember it being in Madden 13 but don't recall how Madden 25 handled it.

Also wish the second string and third string players were compulated correctly into the game.

I only play the preseason to test out my rookies.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:43 PM   #24
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBleedOrange247
EA DEV'S PLEASE READ

Maybe to add on to preseason we could have a setting before each game. Like quarter setting. You would choose what string of players you want playing in each quarter. Or even a minute slider.

Could have a slider for all 3 strings or whatever and fill them out by how many minutes your settings are set to.

This way in the first game you could limit your starters to only say 10 minutes/60.

Then work them in or out as the preseason goes.

- Also I would love to see announcing make a difference between preseason and regular season.

- Also if they would change ratings and get rid of overalls you could really have good positional battles. Because most people wouldn't look just at depth chart overalls. You would look at positional stats to base your decisions and watch how they work in preseason.
See it's threads like this that make me not understand when people say things like "Madden isn't that bad, it's a good football game". Like the quoted poster stated about "strings", how hard is it to add BACK a 1st/2nd/3rd/4th string UI, like was in M05 and have the CPU teams programmed to automatically sub/rotate them accordingly for each preseason game? That's just some basic stuff right there, not even getting into the more nuanced things they could do, like bringing back position battles.

I don't mean to whine, it just frustrating when the only NFL football game won't do things like the NFL.

Last edited by Big FN Deal; 08-05-2014 at 05:56 PM. Reason: removed inappropriate language

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »