Home

Ps4 color on madden15

This is a discussion on Ps4 color on madden15 within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-08-2014, 09:38 AM   #17
Rookie

MNHuskerman's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Ps4 color on madden15

Quote:
Originally Posted by alichu
Ive been telling everyone this since the PS4 came out..
The graphics look better on XBOX in my opinion....
I would have to agree, but I can concede that it comes down to preference. When I sit down to play a video game, I admit it's kind of like taking a break from reality and going into "fantasy world". When I'm taking the time to play video games, do I want realistic color/lighting, and for things to look a little "washed" out or do I want to see vibrant colors/lighting and deal with some distortion of the black level (crushing). I'll take vibrant and more colorful every single time. If I want to see natural light, I'll head outside with my boys and play football. That's my take.

Last edited by MNHuskerman; 08-08-2014 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:41 AM   #18
Rookie

MNHuskerman's Arena

Having said that, I'm perfectly content with my Xbox One and very much look forward to the release of Madden 15. I think it will look great, and since I don't have a PS4 I'll never really know or care if there's a slight difference. I'm going to enjoy the game...unless the game play is still not where it needs to be.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:24 AM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowherPower
Do not put the RGB settings on full...the color's are not more detailed,all it does it over saturate the colors,and as mentioned crushes the blacks.

If your TV is properly calibrated ,you will not notice any difference between the full and limited settings.
Dude.. Relax. It won't hurt for him to try it. My tv is properly calibrated.. the color is more detailed, period. I can only speak from my experience. But it is better on full than it is on limited in my case because it is less washed out.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:01 PM   #20
MVP

merchant1874's Arena

OVR: 6

This is a well known pic showing how bad the crushed blacks are. It's taken from Killer instinct. There is also another good example. Look at all of the detail you lose.

Spoiler
Old 08-08-2014, 01:22 PM   #21
Rookie

MNHuskerman's Arena

That's a great example merchant. Thanks for showing me what the "crushed black" means. I still think I would prefer to lose some of the detail to have "darker" blacks. In those pictures the PS4 "black" looks grey or light, and that's just not my personal preference. Maybe this means the Steelers uniform will be dark gray on the PS4, but truly black on the Xbox One...LOL! Just playing off the uniform controversy in the 2nd live stream video.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2014, 01:33 PM   #22
#1 conrhusker fan

huskerfan4life's Arena

OVR: 13

so my question is I have a PS4 so how would I properly calibrate my tv & the PS4

Follow Me On Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/bigbadjz
Old 08-08-2014, 01:51 PM   #23
MVP

Cowboy008's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerfan4life
so my question is I have a PS4 so how would I properly calibrate my tv & the PS4
I would like to know this as well because I have never calibrated my tv before.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:55 PM   #24
Fear Me

Kramer5150's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision
Dude.. Relax. It won't hurt for him to try it. My tv is properly calibrated.. the color is more detailed, period. I can only speak from my experience. But it is better on full than it is on limited in my case because it is less washed out.
"Dude"...I am relaxed...all that needs to be said about this is check around AVS and such forums,and you'll see exactly what I am saying to be true.

As I mentioned before...the color is just over saturated,I guess you could see how it would add more detail....but in the end....over saturated.

I see you also claim your TV is properly calibrated....if that's the case,then why do videophiles ALL claim to say the same thing in regards to a properly calibrated set to a non calibrated set?....in regards to the RGB setting.

Quote:
Games are rendered in 32-bit. Outputting in 48bit is pointless, it's no different than converting 16bit audio to 24bit. You cant get something from nothing.

As far as RGB and YCbCr range - use limited. If you set it to "Automatic", it defaults to limited, even if your TV supports full. The Xbox One's calibration also recommends RGB limited. 16-235 is now basically the official standard for games. RGB full will probably look identical, but you're technically out of spec.
Quote:
It locks to limited because blurays are encoded in ycbcr, and ycbcr is always supposed to be the limited range (16-235). RGB full (0-255) exists only for compatibility with PCs, but if you set everything to automatic, the PS4 will default RGB to limited range. So that's what you should use...if the picture isn't vibrant enough, fix that with other settings.
Quote:
If your TV supports RGB Full then putting your PS4 on Full with TV's HDMI BLACK LEVEL on Normal will look identical to limited/low. There's no difference between the two. If you have one of those reversed,(HDMI BLACK LEVEL on low and PS4 on full), you'll get crushed blacks. HDMI BLACK LEVEL on Normal and PS4 on limited and you'll get grayish blacks.
Quote:
"Limited" is a misnomer anyway. Both "limited" and "full" have the same 8-bit, 256 step range. If anything, "full" actually has less dynamic range, since in order to maintain the same black and white points as limited/normal, it has to rip out and expand the 16-235 range to 0-255, causing banding. In case that's confusing:

Limited = 256 steps, 0-16 is considered below black, and should be clipped. 235-255 is considered above white, but is usually displayed. It's called 16-235 because that's the "valid" range, NOT because it actually has less steps. Effective dynamic range = 240 steps. If a game actually has below black (0-16) info, and you choose not to clip below 16, you'll have the full 256 steps.

Full = 256 steps, but they're created by ripping the 16-235 range out of the "normal" limited signal and artificially expanding. Since we're dealing with integer values, some steps need to be repeated, which causes banding. Effective dynamic range = 220 steps.

Unless a game itself recognizes it's in 0-255 mode and renders the full 255 steps, limited is technically superior. But since you can change the setting in the middle of gameplay without having to restart the game, I highly doubt that's happening. Far more likely the game has no idea, and the OS is just doing the conversion the crude way.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/142-pl...tput-talk.html
“I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest – If you can’t take it, you shouldn’t play!” Jack Lambert
Quote:
“Quarterbacks should wear dresses.” Jack Lambert

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »