Home

Scouting Tips

This is a discussion on Scouting Tips within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-22-2014, 12:09 AM   #57
Rookie

JRT2006's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Scouting Tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Gunfighter
That sounds really cool, would you be willing to share? I'd love to try it out.
Its still a work in progress, I'm trying to make it more user friendly and creating some "house rules" rules for its use.

What needs to be done is:
1) Position priority - I had it set to where you would rank each position with priority 1 through 16. Depending on the number you put for the position, the final grade of the player is adjusted. The problem is, It had me drafting higher positions in the first rounds over guys who were proven to be talented because they werent my highest priority. I'm going to make a new priority listing and rank it on 1, 3, and 0 (BPA, Will Reach, and Not Needed)

2) I'm recreating the big board as currently it only shows players name and grade, not position, so you have to spend some time in the Madden draft board looking for the player, not knowing what position he plays. Having the position show on the Big Board will make the player selection process on madden much easier

3) House rules. Currently if you scout more attributes of a certain player, his overall average will be higher because there are more points to go off of. I'm thinking house rules stating you must scout at least [insert number here] attributes per player

4) User friendly, there are still a lot of error formulas showing because I haven't corrected it in the original formula. Taking care of those will clean the sheet up and locking the cells with formulas will prevent user from ruining the sheet.

My test draft on madden, I was able to draft a WR ranked 78 at the end of the 1st round, he fit my scheme well and was my #2 need. At the end of the 2nd round I drafted a 79 overall guard who was my #1 need and fit my scheme, also had a little talk about him too. The rounds after that were terrible, 58's, 60's, etc.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:53 AM   #58
Just started!

OVR: 0

Like to see people idea of scouting. With less points and change of scouting points what is best way to scout. Thanks
Old 09-23-2014, 05:11 PM   #59
Rookie

JRT2006's Arena

Anybody wanting to test the draft tool i created can do so here. I'm no excel expert and this thing is not perfect, so if you screw up a draft, leave me out of it . I would suggest you test it on a franchise first and see how you like it before you really use it.

WARNING: there are a lot of formulas in unlocked cells in this workbook, if you erase on formula it could screw up the entire process.

Also, the team needs note is old, just take the number that sits next to the need description and place it where it needs to go

i suggest reading the "house rules" i use for the tool to get the judging of players/positions fair.

Enjoy! and feedback is welcomed, just not Blame
Attached Files
File Type: zip Draft Tool.zip (142.6 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by JRT2006; 09-23-2014 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:29 PM   #60
Pro

BreakingBad2013's Arena

Check my Sig, or Blog for Complete Scouting Guide. Just so we can eliminate all of these threads about scouting!
Old 09-23-2014, 07:24 PM   #61
Just started!

scout points are too little
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2014, 08:50 PM   #62
Pro

OVR: 4

I drafted a rg that was a 26 ovr...ouch. On the plus side, after 3 years I finally addressed my backup rb issue. It's nice to have a solid 1,2 punch in the backfield. And I do like how there are some busts and everyone isn't superman as soon as they're drafted.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:21 PM   #63
Rookie

JRT2006's Arena

I just found a 78 overall Left tackle in the 6th round.

Used my scouting tool, need to make some adjustments to that, he was the highest rated LT on my value chart, but with my projected round modifier, my big board had him listed towards the bottom of the round.

How do you all suppose real NFL management handles those situations?

Say they are scouting and they see two evenly potentially great LT's, once can be had in the 2nd round while the other is likely to slip to the 5th or 6th? Do you think they have those two equally skilled tackles back to back on their big boards? Or have one higher on the board because he may go sooner?

Thinking about adjusting the Big Board on my scouting tool so "projected draft round" doesn't have such an enormous effect on overall value.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:10 PM   #64
Rookie

BeantowneS's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRT2006
Anybody wanting to test the draft tool i created can do so here. I'm no excel expert and this thing is not perfect, so if you screw up a draft, leave me out of it . I would suggest you test it on a franchise first and see how you like it before you really use it.

WARNING: there are a lot of formulas in unlocked cells in this workbook, if you erase on formula it could screw up the entire process.

Also, the team needs note is old, just take the number that sits next to the need description and place it where it needs to go

i suggest reading the "house rules" i use for the tool to get the judging of players/positions fair.

Enjoy! and feedback is welcomed, just not Blame
Incredible tool. I am playing with it a lot tonight and wanted to give you props for your work on it. I am already looking for an excuse to call in sick to work tomorrow......

EDIT: just a heads up...i think your note in TEAM_NEEDS page is backwards. 1 for need and .5 for not need. Is this the right

Last edited by BeantowneS; 09-23-2014 at 10:25 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »