Home

Veteran/Rookie speed scaling according to Donny Moore

This is a discussion on Veteran/Rookie speed scaling according to Donny Moore within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-01-2015, 11:52 AM   #33
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Veteran/Rookie speed scaling according to Donny Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEBB2001
Game speed is a complete myth. Players are never faster on the field.

"Game Speed" is a product of athletic ability combined with anticipation, reaction, and technique.

Jerry Rice was never faster than a 4.58 over the course of 40 yards, but watch some of his route-running cutups from old 49er practices and you will see why he was able to turn a 1-yard cushion into 6 yards of separation after the top of his route. His ability to keep up that "4.58 speed" through his breaks without slowing down considerably allowed him to do so.

He didn't play faster; his technique allowed him to not slow down as much as his competition did when reacting to his breaking ability.

"Game Speed" is about technique, not speed.
Excellent explanation..and actually I failed to expand on what I was meaning with game speed..thank you for clarifying...I do think in madden they adjust speed to represent other factors because the speed rating is probably the most important rating..yes?
Old 08-01-2015, 12:40 PM   #34
MVP

DCEBB2001's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
Excellent explanation..and actually I failed to expand on what I was meaning with game speed..thank you for clarifying...I do think in madden they adjust speed to represent other factors because the speed rating is probably the most important rating..yes?
They likely do...incorrectly, however.

They should be adjusting other traits to represent technique, like route running.

SPD = SPD
RTE = RTE

SPD = RTE????
NFL Scout
www.nfldraftscout.com/members

Petition to EA for FBG Ratings:
https://www.change.org/p/ea-sports-t...bers-index-php
Old 08-01-2015, 11:45 PM   #35
Banned

Smh at these fbg guys complaining about Donny's ratings when fbg literally has the most unbalanced, out of touch and inaccurate rosters I have ever laid my eyes on. Game speed compared to track speed is a real thing, running with a football and equipment on is completely different and some guys just can't do it while others get faster when they are being chased or chasing someone instead of just straight line track running. Playing football my whole life trust me there is a difference.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2015, 10:58 AM   #36
MVP

DCEBB2001's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharlonD
Smh at these fbg guys complaining about Donny's ratings when fbg literally has the most unbalanced, out of touch and inaccurate rosters I have ever laid my eyes on. Game speed compared to track speed is a real thing, running with a football and equipment on is completely different and some guys just can't do it while others get faster when they are being chased or chasing someone instead of just straight line track running. Playing football my whole life trust me there is a difference.

Please explain what makes these rosters so "unbalanced". These rosters are a reflection of the data. Game speed is a complete myth. Your reaction and technique is what can allow a player to compensate for lesser skills. I too have been playing football my whole life, and still play football, and I have never seen anything to the contrary. I can promise you that a player will never run faster on a football field than they do in ideal conditions whether someone is chasing them or not.
NFL Scout
www.nfldraftscout.com/members

Petition to EA for FBG Ratings:
https://www.change.org/p/ea-sports-t...bers-index-php
Old 08-02-2015, 11:30 AM   #37
MVP

Gorilla Glass's Arena

OVR: 6

Honestly this topic is one of the things that kill me about Donny and his moody ratings perception.

If a person ran a clock speed and you base your ratings on it, why does if differ with certain players based on how good the team he's on???

Alfred Morris never broke 90 overall, because well Donny doesn't think he deserves it.

EA should bring in a statistician who watches water polo not football
Old 08-02-2015, 04:31 PM   #38
Just started!

The most important part and the question that the community should be asking is:

How does speed translate in this Madden? Is it typical Madden where no matter the Ovr of user controlled positions, as long as you have speed they're the best players? Or is it finally the actual attributes make the best players? In my CFM everyone just drafts the fastest players at each position and the wigg out on earning the XP to make them the best players... so what the 40 times being revealed already in scouting and speed being so coveted how does EA make the better players equalize speed?

The best players in the NFL are not the fastest. At each position. QB, RB, WR, CB etc.. so is this the 1st madden where AWR (so meaningless) PRC, BCV finally means something...

Maddens of past pretty much made guys like AJ Green, Fitzgerald, 90 spd CBs, Mc Coy undrafted in my CFM... any answers to this question?

Lastly.. just for giggles Dri Archer (a guy who played maybe 15 snaps) was the most coveted guy in my CFM 24 player fantasy league... SMH Step your game up EA!!
Old 08-03-2015, 01:24 AM   #39
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCash2015
I don't know why you bothered trying to contact him, we all know there's no logic involved in any of this stuff. JJ watt after catching 2 balls probably has a higher catching rating than most halfbacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A lot of HB's are horrible in real life at actually catching the ball. JJ Watt is a former tight end in high school and was actually recruited by Central Michigan to play tight end. His catch rating is probably true to life.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:10 AM   #40
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEBB2001
Guys,

Gordon's fastest split at the combine was a 4.43. Keep in mind that the P3DX electronic timer breaks very often when these guys run, resulting in electronic times that can be as many as 2 full tenths off of what their time should be.

Doony Moore correctly attributed Gordon with his fastest handheld time. That is the same way I do it at FBG Ratings, and is the way it SHOULD be done. The lack of reliability in the P3DX means that often the only fair thing to do for all prospects is to give them their fastest time. In the case of Chris Johnson in 2008, his fastest time was his electronic time. For many prospects, their fastest time is a hand time.

I have attached screenshots of the results for both Johnson and Gordon. These are screenshots from the actual PDFs that National Scouting sends out to the teams a few days after the combine is completed. The "official" times posted on NFL.com and cited "live" by NFL Network are never official. In fact, they are all hand-times taken from the stands. The official times are not released to the teams until nearly a week after the combine is over.
It's interesting that you think that the electronic timers "break" causing an increase in the times. Many studies have shown that this difference is there, but because of human error, not technological error from the electronic timer. It makes more sense to me to think that human error (human timer having to watch and react to a first move and gauge when a fast-moving object passes some discriminate line) is the cause for the difference than a laser.

You say lack of reliability in the electronic timer, I say lack of reliability in humans.

Here is a recent (2009) study from the Journal of Exercise Physiology about this difference: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...,d.eXY&cad=rja

The link will direct you to open a Word Document with the article.

I guess it's just preference, but I would think a computer designed specifically for this would out-perform humans.

Watch me play video games

Last edited by Jr.; 08-03-2015 at 02:19 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »