Home

the CPU doesn't progress players based on scheme

This is a discussion on the CPU doesn't progress players based on scheme within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-09-2018, 05:45 PM   #57
Pro

triplechin's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: the CPU doesn't progress players based on scheme

Hopefully they don't put that much effort into making XP work and just scrap it before more time is wasted. But I'm not holding my breath

FRANCHISE OVERHAULED
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...verhauled.html

PROGRESSION OVERHAULED
Old 08-09-2018, 08:28 PM   #58
All Star

JayD's Arena

OVR: 16

After doing an in depth sim using several coaches it does appear, for the most part, that the CPU is signing & drafting to their scheme, even when they switch teams. Im not sure if the update did anything or if using generated draft classes caused a different result but I like what im seeing.

Last edited by JayD; 08-09-2018 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:45 PM   #59
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplechin
Hopefully they don't put that much effort into making XP work and just scrap it before more time is wasted. But I'm not holding my breath
It wouldn't take that much effort, I'm just saying it would be drastically different. If I were doing it, I'd probably re-purpose the XP system since it's already there, but it would be completely unrecognizable from what it is now.

I did the progression for Madden 12 (and I'm proud to say the best sports game reviewer of the time, Bill Abner, said it was the best progression in Madden ever). It was very, very simple but it worked because it was mathematically predictable at a high level, but highly variable at a focused level. Effort was made to specifically engineer the results, not the process. The XP system in Madden now is built on what someone thought would be a good process. Thats backasswards design. One can see the XP system as a tool available to them, and design around results and make perfectly good use of it.

That said, it's left a bad taste in a lot of mouths, so a designer might consider scrapping it just to not carry that stink forward.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.

Last edited by adembroski; 08-09-2018 at 08:50 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:55 PM   #60
Banned

OVR: 0

The day XP gets scrapped will be a joyous day for us sim CFM players
Old 08-09-2018, 11:28 PM   #61
Pro

triplechin's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
It wouldn't take that much effort, I'm just saying it would be drastically different. If I were doing it, I'd probably re-purpose the XP system since it's already there, but it would be completely unrecognizable from what it is now.

I did the progression for Madden 12 (and I'm proud to say the best sports game reviewer of the time, Bill Abner, said it was the best progression in Madden ever). It was very, very simple but it worked because it was mathematically predictable at a high level, but highly variable at a focused level. Effort was made to specifically engineer the results, not the process. The XP system in Madden now is built on what someone thought would be a good process. Thats backasswards design. One can see the XP system as a tool available to them, and design around results and make perfectly good use of it.

That said, it's left a bad taste in a lot of mouths, so a designer might consider scrapping it just to not carry that stink forward.
What was that system?

FRANCHISE OVERHAULED

PROGRESSION OVERHAULED
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2018, 12:42 AM   #62
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplechin
What was that system?
Every player had a "potential" rating, which wasn't exactly a hard cap on the rating, but effectively was.

Players were divided into 3 categories; progress, plateau, and regress. Typically progress was the players in their 1st 3 years, regress was 32 or older (this varied by position).

At the end of a season, you were ranked according to certain criteria within your position and assigned a percentile score.

For players in progress category, it looked as follows;

NewOVR = OldOVR + ( Percentile * ( Potential - OldOVR ) )

The great thing about this formula is you might only hit 25% of it year 1, but then you have a great year in the 2nd year and make it all up. It was really dynamic and because it was a linear percentile (we used the potential rating to make sure the distribution was right), it seemed like a player had a chance to reach his potential.

The formula for the others were basically the same but was altered to have people in plateau simply go up or down by 0-3 points per year, and regression would only stay the same or go down.

There were definitely weaknesses with this, and it's very passive, but it could be fit into a system with strategic development through practices and coaching staffs too. You can create almost any system to feed into what percentile rank players get. The idea is this system produces results that work, regardless of what data you feed it to create those results.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.

Last edited by adembroski; 08-10-2018 at 12:46 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »