Home

Long term progression

This is a discussion on Long term progression within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-13-2018, 05:17 PM   #9
Pro

triplechin's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Long term progression

Quote:
Originally Posted by sljivo
Sorry to say, they lied. I've been simming and messing around with the xp sliders and I haven't seen anyone get better from production. In fact, what I've noticed is that even if a rookie receiver gets 80 catches, 8 touchdowns, and 1,000 yards, he will only gain 1 or 2 skill points. So my rookie receiver who came into the league as an 79 is now an 81. Big whoop. Eeveryone knows in real life if a guy did that he would be rated at least an 85 when the next Madden game came out.
Players being rated to capture their true ability in real life versus players progressing in franchise are two very different things. A player in franchise shouldn't progress just because they put up stats

FRANCHISE OVERHAULED
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...verhauled.html

PROGRESSION OVERHAULED
Old 08-13-2018, 05:48 PM   #10
MVP

Therebelyell626's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcourtne
I have not yet completed a full season but I did notice on one occasion that strength was one of the traits that was improved. Combined with the other traits that increased - it was one skill point but the equivalent of a lot of XP. Strength surprised me though since it’s not cheap. Has anyone seen speed accel or agility increase?
I have seen speed go up +1 or +2 on a couple of guys. It's rare and happens at random but I have seen most of the physics traits go up at least once including jumping, strength, etc.

I actually like be progression this year. Too many people focus on the overall. I look at the j dividual stats. If I have a receiver go up only two overall points but +10 in catch in traffic I guarantee he will play on game like a beast
Old 08-13-2018, 08:13 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplechin
Players being rated to capture their true ability in real life versus players progressing in franchise are two very different things. A player in franchise shouldn't progress just because they put up stats
I completely disagree with this. How do you think they determine if a player gets a rating increase each week during the season? It's based off of production. Players just don't progress with how they have it now. I had Baker Mayfield put up a 3,800 yard 25 TD season his rookie year and only got 1 point. He also won offensive rookie of the year and led the browns to 9 wins.

I also had a 70 overall wr with something like 50 catches 5 TDs and 700 yards. He also got 1 point.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2018, 08:40 PM   #12
Rookie

Shards's Arena

There is an argument about progressing based primarily on stats vs a Dev/ceiling. The short answer is that they are both going to be needed until there is more depth in the roster management.

The new system has definitely changed the attributes that are progressed. I know people like a lot of progression but that has to be balanced with regression, retirement, and rookie ratings if things will pan out semi realistically. It's difficult to simulate the amount of change that happens but the only good way to analyze this is to do some long Sims and see how the league changes every year.

In the end, we each have our own opinion of how this should pan out but you need to find something that makes you happy with the game. If you would like some community help, I would suggest heading over to the sliders forum and checking out some xp sliders. Most slider people will be happy to help if you try their sliders and post your results.

I almost forgot about how much schemes impact player progression. It seems that this is the only thing that is actually affected by schemes so it's always best to match this up to the players that you want to progress the most.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:57 PM   #13
Rookie

JustADashOfDak's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstro
I completely disagree with this. How do you think they determine if a player gets a rating increase each week during the season? It's based off of production. Players just don't progress with how they have it now. I had Baker Mayfield put up a 3,800 yard 25 TD season his rookie year and only got 1 point. He also won offensive rookie of the year and led the browns to 9 wins.

I also had a 70 overall wr with something like 50 catches 5 TDs and 700 yards. He also got 1 point.
The thing is, that one point upgrades several attributes. In past games, you'd get 10,000 + xp and would be able to upgrade around the same amount of attributes, if not less.

So how is a thing like run blocking determined then? There are no stats recorded in Madden for run blocking besides pancakes. Does run blocking just never get developed because there are no stats?
Old 08-13-2018, 10:13 PM   #14
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode2013
That has nothing to do with gaining points from production. EA said that players will gain points to level up without having to train/gain XP.
No they didn't. Where the hell did you get that?

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:58 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustADashOfDak
The thing is, that one point upgrades several attributes. In past games, you'd get 10,000 + xp and would be able to upgrade around the same amount of attributes, if not less.

So how is a thing like run blocking determined then? There are no stats recorded in Madden for run blocking besides pancakes. Does run blocking just never get developed because there are no stats?
I understand that. It's just frustrating to see such little progression when players do so well. It's not even a matter of me wanting to see the overall go up. I want to see progression in the ratings that matter.

As for OL progression.. Why would you not be able to progress run blocking? You're the only that controls what is developed. I get that tracking how XP is gained in regards to how well they're doing with run blocking must be difficult. I'm just an average football fan though so I don't have any great ideas for that. I just want to see players that are playing well be compensated when appropriate.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2018, 11:15 PM   #16
Pro

triplechin's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstro

Hear me out, I'll try to explain better.

So first we need to separate players in real life versus players in a franchise mode. When the Madden team is rating players in real life, they are making their best estimations of a players skillset, so often if a player has a breakout year, then their ratings will adjust accordingly. But, this is the team catching up to the player's true rating, so to speak. The player did not become better after that particular 12 catch 2 TD game, just the people rating him realized it.

The issue here is the disconnect between real life and franchise. In franchise, a player's TRUE rating is his rating when the franchise begins. That player is putting up stats with their current ratings. There is no catching up to do to rate them, because in that simulated franchise, that is their true rating, point blank. So thus, production does not lead to progression. They should be mostly or completely independent of each other in franchise mode.

FRANCHISE OVERHAULED

PROGRESSION OVERHAULED

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »