Home

Long term progression

This is a discussion on Long term progression within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-13-2018, 11:54 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Long term progression

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplechin
Hear me out, I'll try to explain better.

So first we need to separate players in real life versus players in a franchise mode. When the Madden team is rating players in real life, they are making their best estimations of a players skillset, so often if a player has a breakout year, then their ratings will adjust accordingly. But, this is the team catching up to the player's true rating, so to speak. The player did not become better after that particular 12 catch 2 TD game, just the people rating him realized it.

The issue here is the disconnect between real life and franchise. In franchise, a player's TRUE rating is his rating when the franchise begins. That player is putting up stats with their current ratings. There is no catching up to do to rate them, because in that simulated franchise, that is their true rating, point blank. So thus, production does not lead to progression. They should be mostly or completely independent of each other in franchise mode.
While this post does a great job further explaining your thought process I'm still not 100% agreeing with you on everything. I'm really curious how you think progression should be represented if it's not going to be based off of production.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:16 AM   #18
Pro

triplechin's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstro
While this post does a great job further explaining your thought process I'm still not 100% agreeing with you on everything. I'm really curious how you think progression should be represented if it's not going to be based off of production.
The base would be weighted chaotic progression, with different factors such as coaches and injuries impacting development. I have a detailed post in my signature but that is a quick explanation of it.

FRANCHISE OVERHAULED
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...verhauled.html

PROGRESSION OVERHAULED
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...verhauled.html
Old 08-14-2018, 03:19 AM   #19
MVP

Mattanite's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustADashOfDak
The thing is, that one point upgrades several attributes. In past games, you'd get 10,000 + xp and would be able to upgrade around the same amount of attributes, if not less.

So how is a thing like run blocking determined then? There are no stats recorded in Madden for run blocking besides pancakes. Does run blocking just never get developed because there are no stats?
They don't. OL are immune to fluid dev progression and regression and the probowl is still determined by most wins where backups can go. They have goals based on run yards and pass yards but you can't choose these, so if you're a pass team, best hope you don't get run goals.

Sent from my F3111 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 08-14-2018, 03:24 AM   #20
MVP

Mattanite's Arena

Having run a few simulations, there doesn't seem to be the system for a breakout player in years one and two. Previously, say a 4th rd CB could go to the probowl and win roty and gain enough xp to jump from 80 to 90ovr. A realistic ovr for a rookie that skilled. There doesn't seem to be the system to allow this big a jump this year. But xp sliders can sort out slow development at a position group as a whole, like OL.

Sent from my F3111 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 08-14-2018, 07:12 AM   #21
MVP

OVR: 1

if a player does well in a season they get no exps at the end of the season, that's production based progression out the window, exps from each game, but i saw no players receive exps for a seasons perfomance. thats different to 17 and 18
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2018, 01:57 PM   #22
Rookie

Ok, something weird just happened. I had no skill points available for upgrading my quarterback. I know because I always upgrade all my players as soon as its available.

I played week 17 and got into the playoffs. My qb had a heck of a year. He a cpu geneterated player I drafted and in year 3 he reached 79 overall (up from 74 as a rookie). He threw 32 td's and I had 3800 yrds. 12 picks. Excellent season! Made the pro bowl.

During wildcard weekend, I go to check my team and he has 3 !!!! skill points available for use. I guess hitting his season goals or something gave him a ton of points? The rest of my team also has players with multiple points. Another guy had 3 and multiple players had 2 skill points available.

My qb also increased from quick to star development.

Don't know what to make of this. I didn't make the playoffs the first 2 years of franchise because I had a firesale to acquire draft pciks and build them back up.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:38 PM   #23
Just started!

The change to progression of players was necessary, as is the XP for awards such as the criteria for Pro Bowls (while it has been corrected a bit, it can still use some fine tuning).

The random (read loot box) progression will keep players from manipulating the training system as much as M18. I have no doubt Users will manipulate schemes on a weekly basis for the XP boost, but I see it being far less harmful than it was in M18. For instance, Users could change their starting DE to OLB, and train coverage every week for the extra boost XP. Since the M18 training mechanics usually split the Defense (coverage for LB & DB, run defense for DL & LB), this allowed a way around it to have DEs with 99 BSH and PMV/FMV and DBs with 91 ZCV, all while keeping their OVR to below 75 to sign cheap for 7 years at a clip. Move the studs OLB/DE to DT, draft new DE, rinse and repeat.

The "new" progression system now lets you chose a block of attributes and you roll the dice, while still getting the OVR to where it should be, and its associated salary.

My CFM usually plays with OS community settings, as a way to curb creating 99 OVR teams being created. This progression system will be interesting. I have resorted to building a progression heat map for archetypes, not so much in an attempt to figure out the algorithm, but to play the odds to get what I hope will be the stats that are common to multiple archetypes while still maintaining a scheme fit.

But then, I value versatility more than a one trick pony. I am a Patriots fan after all.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:29 PM   #24
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_0hh
The change to progression of players was necessary, as is the XP for awards such as the criteria for Pro Bowls (while it has been corrected a bit, it can still use some fine tuning).

The random (read loot box) progression will keep players from manipulating the training system as much as M18. I have no doubt Users will manipulate schemes on a weekly basis for the XP boost, but I see it being far less harmful than it was in M18. For instance, Users could change their starting DE to OLB, and train coverage every week for the extra boost XP. Since the M18 training mechanics usually split the Defense (coverage for LB & DB, run defense for DL & LB), this allowed a way around it to have DEs with 99 BSH and PMV/FMV and DBs with 91 ZCV, all while keeping their OVR to below 75 to sign cheap for 7 years at a clip. Move the studs OLB/DE to DT, draft new DE, rinse and repeat.

The "new" progression system now lets you chose a block of attributes and you roll the dice, while still getting the OVR to where it should be, and its associated salary.

My CFM usually plays with OS community settings, as a way to curb creating 99 OVR teams being created. This progression system will be interesting. I have resorted to building a progression heat map for archetypes, not so much in an attempt to figure out the algorithm, but to play the odds to get what I hope will be the stats that are common to multiple archetypes while still maintaining a scheme fit.

But then, I value versatility more than a one trick pony. I am a Patriots fan after all.
I have a drafted suerstar te (vertical threat). He is an 80 overall as tbat but a 66 blocking. i have spent his exp points on being a pass blocker. I figure this will keep his overall from increasing too fast. What i have noticed is if you pick blocking, it will upgrqde him a point as a blocker but it may also upgrade him a point as a vertical threat. I have noticed this with all positions. It is not an either or choice. It can become frustrating when trying to upgrade a player to become your scheme fit but it also keeps upgrading his highest overall also. I like it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »