Home

Madden Review by Chicago Tribune writer

This is a discussion on Madden Review by Chicago Tribune writer within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-12-2019, 04:25 PM   #65
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden Review by Chicago Tribune writer

The only opinion I ever care about on anything I buy, watch, play, listen to or consume......is my own.

Anyway. I am enjoying the game. That is all that matters.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2019, 04:41 PM   #66
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
The only opinion I ever care about on anything I buy, watch, play, listen to or consume......is my own.

Anyway. I am enjoying the game. That is all that matters.
Yep, I've said that often, I agree.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:02 PM   #67
MVP

OVR: 19

this article has sparked a great debate in this thread.

For Madden supporters or those who like it -it's easy to pick out inaccuracies in the article.
when it comes to the sales figures, the journalist should have provided the sources that he used for sales data etc.

personally I think the review is a fair one. Ive stated before that what makes this game enjoyable is the way the players move. the game feels very organic.

as far as teh touch, bullet passes, etc. I believe they did exist in last years version. and also existed in prior Maddens, the only difference is that they added the little animation that states you threw a touch, or bullet pass this.

the journalist called the game for what it has always been, a mosh posh of continuously recycled features, touted as being new, and any Madden diehard who denies this is clearly in denial, or has very little history playing Madden, which is what I suspect.

with that said, the game is enjoyable.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:09 PM   #68
MVP

loccdogg26's Arena

OVR: 15

Being an older gamer I was playing Madden at the beginning. I quit buying it after Madden 10 and bought 16,17,18 and 19. Its just something about the game I can't get into anymore. Hope you younger enjoy it for what it's worth.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:59 PM   #69
MVP

OVR: 1

CM i respect your views however the writer has a point. The game has stagnated in certain areas for several years on the current consoles. If its in the game ... is not the case. It does not simulate the NFL experience or the game, simple non graphics things could be so much better and immersive. As a non American i cannot understand how your national game is treated this way. FIFA i understand is far better representation of soccer because thats what the european customers require. I would argue golf is the same and presented better because of it.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:02 PM   #70
MVP

edaddy's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
The problem is, what you define as a good game is not what EA is trying to make. And Madden sells well enough for EA, as it is designed. There are millions of gamers that like the game. People like me aren't defending the game so much as we understand what it is and what EA is trying to do.

It's not hard. I don't like NBA 2K, and I have stopped buying it. If EA stops making NBA Live, I will be without an NBA game I enjoy. What I won't do is post every negative thing I can find on 2K in the 2K threads, because, well, I don't play the game, so why waste my time. There seems to be others that like it, so I let them enjoy it.

But the entitled ones. They are different. They have decided what a proper NFL game should be, regardless of sales. Anyone that tries to rationalize enjoying the game are written off as kids or casuals. It doesn't matter that the kids and casuals represent a lot more sales than the entitled ones can muster. No, if the entitled ones cannot get the kids and casuals to change, then the kids and casuals must be ignored.

Problem is, EA does research on who has and who might buy their games. They research telemetry to tell them how people play their games. They run focus groups so that people can show and tell them about how they play their games. They invest a ton of money deciding what the game should be.

I have no problem with a review that is aimed at hardcore sports fans and sim gamers pointing out that this game is not for those folks. I think a review in the Tribune doing this is a joke. The average person reading a review of a football game in their daily paper and taking it serious are more likely the kids and casuals. The reviewer did them a disservice, as this reads more like fanboy war crap than a legitimate review of the game.

Yes, there is a faction of gamers that eat this crap up. They are toxic and terrible for the community. They are too immature to just not buy games they don't like. They are too entitled to understand that, maybe, no one made a game just for them. So they do all they can do, which is **** disturb any forum where people "pretend" to enjoy the game.

Maybe OS needs these toxic gamers in order to maximize clicks. But they flipping ruin this place. They all compete to see who hates X game the most, like it is a sport. At this point, my biggest aversion to returning to sim gaming is that I would be associated with what passes for sim gamers today. It's ugly.
I agree with your sentiments my man..I really dont care about opinions especially one is drastically slanted towards one side or the other but I do respect them because everyone sees the game from their own prism..I played,coach,and strategize ball.so I am a sim cat however I realize that continually going on a rant or questioning people who dont think like me is counter productive to what I visualize the game to become at some point..and I certainly dont think anyone is entitled if they dont think like me..The only thing I do care about are constructive vs unproductive antoganistic posts and posters because they interfere with all of our communication points and derails threads....The review is a great example..I thought it was put together well and did not gloss over candid problems with the game in my opinion..you thought different but I dont see you ranting you constructively posted your opinion and I respect that..I also dont make it a point to go over positive review threads and rant..but its the minority not the majority that do..Your right theres toxic posters but its not one sided by far..I will never get into this game of belittling posters thats toxic!!!
Old 08-12-2019, 07:32 PM   #71
Banned

OVR: 21

The writer makes some decent points but he does it in such a combative narrative that it turns some people off and comes across as bashing. If he presented the facts without the emotion it might be a stronger read.

I have not purchased 20 yet. Normally I am a day one purchase guy. I don't like the direction the title is going in - away from trying to get better at simulation and full steam ahead to micro transactions, cards, MUT, etc. That's their prerogative. Somebody there wrote a business case that execs had to sign off on, and who am I to argue with a conglomerate on how they make their money? That's what they are in it for.

However, I don't have to continue to support them. I am taking a wait and see this year...and may move to PC version only because some shortcomings can be addressed there through mods.However, my interest is waning and I don't feel the pull anymore like I used to.

If they were to fix some of the glaring on field items like sideline/end zone awareness, sacks, QB AI, etc...I'd be more agreeable to taking the plunge. For now I wait...I've seen it all before and last year really left a bad taste in my mouth.

Madden satisfies a ton of people. The online crowd eats it up. 5 minute quarters and rankings are what many thrive on these days. It's not for me, but many are enjoying the title and play the heck out of it.

C
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2019, 07:34 PM   #72
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by utfellar

ill ask you 1 question. name me 1 of the new madden features that works properly right now. 1. name. me. 1.

Passing Trajectories, QB Windup differences , Pass Rush being more realistic giving shorter times in the pocket. Superstar XFactor accountability...

To tell someone “it’s ok to admit that the game plays like 19” when the consensus says it doesn’t , is quite disingenuous and you can’t sway someone else’s opinion to match yours

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »