Home

X-Factor and Superstar abilities: I was wrong.

This is a discussion on X-Factor and Superstar abilities: I was wrong. within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2019, 09:51 PM   #49
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: X-Factor and Superstar abilities: I was wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
Last night was the first time I got really PO'd at the CPU X-Factor ability. Fletcher Cox had 8 sacks against me. Quick passes, screen passes, big formations, outside runs--it didn't matter because he got in the zone and as the user I have no way to double team him. My low 70s OVR guard was taking him one-on-one most of the game. Every now and then my C would double team if the stars aligned.

While it was cool to see one DL be so disruptive (and Philly gave me a beating, 38-17), it was insanely frustrating to not have the ability to double-team him. This was my exact concern when the X-Factor feature was announced.

I’m not saying this works amazingly, but u can shift your Oline towards him. You can pinch or shift Oline left or right. While this isn’t exactly double teaming him or you’re not specifying a double team on Cox, I have seen this work decently against JJ Watt. Every pass play, I shifted the Oline towards Watt and he seemed to get double teamed every time. And, it def helped slow him down.

It may seem like a pain, maybe, but if u shift your line every play towards Cox or any X-factor Dline, it ‘should’ help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2019, 10:38 PM   #50
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
Last night was the first time I got really PO'd at the CPU X-Factor ability. Fletcher Cox had 8 sacks against me. Quick passes, screen passes, big formations, outside runs--it didn't matter because he got in the zone and as the user I have no way to double team him. My low 70s OVR guard was taking him one-on-one most of the game. Every now and then my C would double team if the stars aligned.

While it was cool to see one DL be so disruptive (and Philly gave me a beating, 38-17), it was insanely frustrating to not have the ability to double-team him. This was my exact concern when the X-Factor feature was announced.
What I would like to see instituted is a mechanic whereas we could assign our HB to block or "chip" a specific player. For instance, allow us to double tap the bumper, bringing up an icon, and allow us to cycle that icon to the defensive line or linebacker that we want the back to key on. Sort of in the same vain as the Mike identification.

With an edge rusher, sometimes keeping the TE in to block and then sliding protection to his side will trigger a double-team. I need to lab this out more.

One of the main reasons I've been playing with the X Factor turned off for now is that Demarcus Lawerence, whom I do not control, is nearly unstoppable even before he gets into the zone. The CPU doesn't appear to take into account user team X Factors at the present moment.

Last edited by edgevoice; 08-17-2019 at 06:46 AM.
Old 08-17-2019, 04:52 AM   #51
MVP

itsmb8's Arena

OVR: 5

At this point, im thinking about trying the game without X-Factor. I mean, they already widened the overall gap so stars should already stand out more... The X-Factors just blow the lid off of it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2019, 11:36 AM   #52
MVP

OVR: 1

I played against Geno Atkins. I had to work to keep him out of the game. I never had to do that in the previous game. I just didn't care about the quality of opponents. Even on All-Madden, I knew I could just play my game and win.

That was good.

I play CLE next and will have to deal with Myles Garrett.
Old 08-17-2019, 12:39 PM   #53
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajra21
I played against Geno Atkins. I had to work to keep him out of the game. I never had to do that in the previous game. I just didn't care about the quality of opponents. Even on All-Madden, I knew I could just play my game and win.

That was good.

I play CLE next and will have to deal with Myles Garrett.
Honestly, a lot of our sacks are due to years of old Madden habits...

My biggest culprit, and I bet most others also, is that previously we would wait for the WR to have separation before throwing because of Psych LB/DB’s.

Now depending on your Off players ratings/abilities, you can throw even with the LB/DB on top of them, but I’m still waiting until the separation happens which is leading to higher sacks.

It’s a breath of fresh air to see High/Low throws factor in to what you’re trying to accomplish dealing with ball placement.
Old 08-17-2019, 04:20 PM   #54
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmb8
At this point, im thinking about trying the game without X-Factor. I mean, they already widened the overall gap so stars should already stand out more... The X-Factors just blow the lid off of it.
What my experience has been without X Factors engaged is that the gameplay feels reasonably organic. Sort of a Madden 12 feel to it. I've also seen the better players stand out, while lesser rated players struggle. I am playing on All Pro with sliders -140 user points, so the CPU is being given an advantage.

What's missing is the occasional domination of the X Factor players, which I did like. Perhaps, if some of the things that I don't like about the system are addressed in the upcoming patch, I'll give it another go. If not, I'll just enjoy the game without them. I do like the clean screen...
Old 08-17-2019, 05:17 PM   #55
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmb8
It’s your game, but know this, you’re removing “all” mechanisms for “Player Differentiation” as it’s accomplished via the new Superstar/X-Factor Abilities.

Turning them off relegates you basic “Delta” levels of old where the difference is so minimum, all players will basically play the same.

Any assertion that Player Differentiation can be accomplished with the Abilities being turned off is just wishful thinking.

If the boost from X-Factors is your issue, the easiest thing to do is edit them off, while keeping the Superstar Abilities that make players play different.

**Also, don’t be afraid to play on Pro!!!

There are many false ideologies about this difficulty level.
- major one being that difficulty levels use separate AI (ie higher = smarter)

- There are several AI boost and/or delays imposed on the User at the AP/AM settings to give the perception of increased difficulty.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2019, 06:01 PM   #56
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
It’s your game, but know this, you’re removing “all” mechanisms for “Player Differentiation” as it’s accomplished via the new Superstar/X-Factor Abilities.

Turning them off relegates you basic “Delta” levels of old where the difference is so minimum, all players will basically play the same.

Any assertion that Player Differentiation can be accomplished with the Abilities being turned off is just wishful thinking.

If the boost from X-Factors is your issue, the easiest thing to do is edit them off, while keeping the Superstar Abilities that make players play different.

**Also, don’t be afraid to play on Pro!!!

There are many false ideologies about this difficulty level.
- major one being that difficulty levels use separate AI (ie higher = smarter)

- There are several AI boost and/or delays imposed on the User at the AP/AM settings to give the perception of increased difficulty.
I have found some of what you've stated to simply not be the case, based on my experience playing CFM games with both X Factor engaged and disengaged.

First off, I have not found all players to play the same with X Factor turned off. Not even close. Premier QB's, such as Aaron Rodgers lit me up, while Sam Darnold and Eli Manning were was easily held in check.

Your claim that it is "wishful thinking" to ascertain that player differentiation is demonstrated with X Factor turned off comes across as arrogant and based on your opinion, which does not make it the hard and fast rule. I'm not claiming you did so intentionally. Having said that, I have clearly experienced an added layer of skill difference when playing vs. Superstar X Factor players. It leaps off the screen.

As far as skill preference, I understand it is a matter of choice. However, it has been stated by the Devs themselves that All Pro is the difficulty that most closely reflects actual player ratings. Their claim, not mine.

Thanks for the excellent idea of turning off the X Factors, but leaving Superstar Abilities on. That I have not tried and may find a happy medium in so doing. Peace.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »