Home

Remember before OS and social media when we just played and had fun?

This is a discussion on Remember before OS and social media when we just played and had fun? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-19-2019, 06:05 PM   #73
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Remember before OS and social media when we just played and had fun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I just remember rage quoting more back then

Pretty sure rage quoting is a violation of the TOS.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:06 PM   #74
Pro

OVR: 1

I remember enjoying the old games for what they were, instead of what I wanted them to be. I recall being excited in the summer of 1998 to hear my 49ers were getting new uniforms and moving away from the white pants...then Madden 99 came out and they were still in the old ones with the white pants. I remember thinking "well, that sucks. Oooh! What the heck is franchise mode?" and moving on. Nowadays, I find myself complaining if the gold on the helmet isn't just right...times have certainly changed.

I made the mistake last year of going into the bugs/glitches thread...so many things I would have never noticed were now known to me, and I couldn't stop seeing them. I played Madden 19 for about a month and never touched it again. I made myself a promise to stay out of there this year, and I'm much happier for it. I'm a sim guy, but I am not a "go into instant replay and meticulously watch the OL/DL interactions in slow motion guy"...that, WR/DB interactions, etc, so many things I personally don't notice when I'm playing. I'm glad there are gamers who do pay attention to that stuff and hopefully it gets fixed, but I'm happier ignoring it.

I try to always ground myself with the knowledge of where I came from...Tecmo Bowl NES was my first football game...and if I keep all that in mind, Madden 20's woes don't bother me one bit*.

*except the AI QB that drops back forever, #%#% that bug

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Born in '82, 49er Faithful since 1986!
Old 08-19-2019, 07:13 PM   #75
Rookie

dawurts's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveinanelevator
There is one big nostalgia high I completely forgot about. The JC Penny's and Sears catalogs. For you young uns this was pretty much the internet for us in the 1970's and early 80's. Sure we had encyclopedias but those did not have a swimsuit and bra/undergarment section.

A few years before I was born but these 1970 uniforms were pretty bad ***.

I post this one because it brings back memories of a Christmas shipping error. Was expecting Franco Harris and what came in the box was a Steve Bartkowski jersey. Pretty sure I was the only person living in Texas wearing a jersey of an Atlanta QB.

Flame Resistant. It was at this point I knew my parents loved me. Then after trying on these PJ's started to question their love. Never got a robe either.

OMG yes I had totally forgotten about those! I had the Lions uni. I remember the helmet was just a cheap plastic thing but I loved it. Thanks for bringing back that memory, wow. What a great thread for us old farts.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2019, 10:55 AM   #76
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallofhate
Im surprised no one brought up tecmo bowl
I know young people look at Tecmo like a prehistoric arcade fest, but I consider Tecmo Super Bowl the beginning of the modern era of football gaming. It was such a leap forward from it's predecessors (or anything that followed). Licensed players and teams. Stat tracking. CPU teams played each against each other aligned with the real NFL schedule and proper playoff format. In it's time, it was amazing. It didn't hurt that it was also fast paced and fun.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:27 AM   #77
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
I know young people look at Tecmo like a prehistoric arcade fest, but I consider Tecmo Super Bowl the beginning of the modern era of football gaming. It was such a leap forward from it's predecessors (or anything that followed). Licensed players and teams. Stat tracking. CPU teams played each against each other aligned with the real NFL schedule and proper playoff format. In it's time, it was amazing. It didn't hurt that it was also fast paced and fun.

Excellent post!
Old 08-20-2019, 01:03 PM   #78
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
Absolutely. I never had a console as a kid so I was stuck with this bad boy. It was a treat going to a friend's house to play Tecmo Bowl.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 08-20-2019, 01:37 PM   #79
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconbits11
Did you guys know this game is included in Atari Flashback Classics Vol 3?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/at...ot:overviewtab

Someone above mentioned GamePro. I remember reading the article about Madden 96 on PSX and was drooling and amazed. Then the game was cancelled lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY8NEdbXzyU
I believe that visual concepts( who made 2k) was the one that made that game before EA got a hold of Madden..

Sent from my SM-G975U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 08-20-2019, 01:57 PM   #80
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Somehow I was able to get excited for Colecovision football back in the day. Look at the Linemen LOL!!!!
Watching now, it is so SLOW......I honestly don't know how I enjoyed it. Of course I was also able to enjoy "Fishing Derby"....I had a lot more patience back then.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »