Home

Madden NFL 21 Next-Gen Trailer & Gridiron Notes - Next Gen Stats Player Movement, Replays, Playcalling & Much More

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 21 Next-Gen Trailer & Gridiron Notes - Next Gen Stats Player Movement, Replays, Playcalling & Much More within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-18-2020, 05:02 PM   #81
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Madden NFL 21 Next-Gen Gameplay Trailer - Updated Details & Features

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I don’t plan on making the jump to PS5 or XBOX Series X before the year is out, but all this new stuff does sound pretty nice. If I do hop up it’ll be a nice free upgrade.

Probably not worth investing $500 in a new system just for Madden alone, however. Honestly, I haven’t yet seen any game on the two new consoles that screams “I must have this new thing immediately”.
Yeah I think it was a solid console launch -- going by console launch history -- but it's more a sum of its parts launch than any one game for me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2020, 05:19 PM   #82
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhanatic14
Meanwhile, NBA 2K releases two completely different games with new modes, better graphics, etc and they're not asking for special attention about how hard it is to work right now. Xbox and PS managed to release brand new consoles in the middle of a pandemic. The sony team put together an incredible Spiderman game. etc etc etc.
Um...2K current gen is the exact same game as last year. Let’s not act like 2K reinvented the wheel. Next Gen has been great so far, but it’s still mostly a port with graphical enhancements and some new options.
Old 11-18-2020, 05:29 PM   #83
MVP

OVR: 0

What I Liked
  • I am very much on-board with the promise of Next-Gen Stats. How that data actually translates to in-game animations remains to be seen, I guess, but any attempts to foster player differentiation/uniqueness is a win in my book. I also like that they'll be integrated with presentation.
  • Some animations look improved (ex. that route running comparison that's been posted elsewhere).

What Doesn't Look So Good
  • I wasn't expecting a massive visual overhaul, but I thought the game's overall look would be a bit more improved. For instance, sleeve textures still have that "painted-on" look we've been talking about for years. Apart from better lighting effects, it looks pretty on-par with the current-gen version.
  • I read the OS written preview before watching the trailer, and the blurb about realistic sidelines really had me excited. What was actually shown, though, doesn't really seem to meet those standards. Players not having jersey nameplates or equipment does a pretty big disservice to the notion of massively upgraded sidelines. Plus, photographers and camera operators still don't follow the action as well as they should.

All in all, I think this is about what one should have reasonably expected from Tiburon: a slight upgrade in most areas, similar to way the last console transition was handled. I'm much more intrigued by what's being planned for M22 and M23. I doubt I'll even be upgrading to next-gen until next Summer at the earliest.
MLS: San Jose Earthquakes
EPL: Brentford FC

RIP San Francisco Deltas | 2017 NASL Champions
Old 11-18-2020, 05:30 PM   #84
Rookie

HoustonFrog's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphy31
Even in the OS review it said something similar

"That is all about to change with next gen as now you will see an accurate and realistic number of players waiting their turn to hit the field, and if the offense is in action, you will see your team’s defense and backups realistically depicted on the sidelines. Not only will all the real starters and backups be seen roaming the white stripe, but you will also see some with eyes on the field, some will be watching game replays on devices and some will be huddled together talking.

To go even deeper in detail, along with all the real players in greater detail, you will see sideline equipment that matches what you see in a real game. There are benches for sitting, tables for stretching, players moving independent of each other and different types of personnel now roaming the sidelines."

Not sure it was actually visible in the trailer
What I saw in the trailer was ... not that.

Old 11-18-2020, 05:35 PM   #85
Rookie

Re: Madden NFL 21 Next-Gen Gridiron Notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhanatic14
Cross-gen and cross platform are very very different beasts to tackle. Cross gen is about xbox working with xbox and ps with ps, cross platform is them working together and historically PS is not a fan of that at all. It would be great to have, but PS needs to cooperate to make it possible. There aren't many games that have actually made it happen.
I don't think it is specifically Sony, but even Microsoft/Xbox wasn't a fan when Sony pushed for in in the 360/PS3 days. That gen Microsoft was outselling Sony for majority of the generation (until the very end when Sony outsold them). When the leading company has better sales, it makes sense for them to not push for it as it allows for friends who want to play with friends to stick to the same console. Sony leading last gen has made opened up more to crossplatform with leaving it to the developers to enable it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2020, 05:39 PM   #86
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcandlestickpark

What Doesn't Look So Good
  • I wasn't expecting a massive visual overhaul, but I thought the game's overall look would be a bit more improved.
It just sucks when you witness the overhaul in graphical improvements from 2k going from X360/PS3 to XB1/PS4 and then to XSX/PS5. They rebuild the game from the ground up and the player model and facial scans are huge improvements. Stadium feels more alive, etc...
Old 11-18-2020, 05:52 PM   #87
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
Ok. I’m not asking for rag doll back breaker physics, I’m asking for speed, weight and momentum to be respected. You know like in WWF wrestling games where Rey Mysterio can’t suplex the Big Show, or in NBA 2k where Spud Webb can’t back Shaq down in the paint, or how The Show uses physics to determine how the ball moves off the bat depending on pitch speed, pitch movement and solidness of contact.

But hey to each their own
I too have been begging for physics. Quite honestly after playing RDR and GTA IV, many game experiences are ruined to me due to how well the physics is implemented using Euphoria/R.A.G.E engine. While Back Breaker physics are a bit too "ragdollish", a slightly more tuned engine would be excellent. The animations sorta kill the football vibe as so many outcomes are already predetermined based on what the engine wants to animate. I rarely see momentum, weight, force, acceleration, velocity, etc... represented in the Madden series. It really disrupts the immersion of playing football with all the canned animations.
Old 11-18-2020, 05:52 PM   #88
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambo3500
It just sucks when you witness the overhaul in graphical improvements from 2k going from X360/PS3 to XB1/PS4 and then to XSX/PS5. They rebuild the game from the ground up and the player model and facial scans are huge improvements. Stadium feels more alive, etc...
2k did not rebuild the game from the ground up. It's the same game from last year with graphical improvements, additional gameplay improvements and UI and presentation upgrades.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »