Home

Madden NFL 22 Features New Equipment, More Player Likeness Updates & More

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 22 Features New Equipment, More Player Likeness Updates & More within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-30-2021, 12:16 PM   #9
Game Dev

TheBleedingRed21's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Madden NFL 22 - New Equipment, Rosters, Ratings (Gridiron Notes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
No Trey Lance = no buy. If you can't scan them, get a real artist to make them in blender. It's not impossible. It's not even that difficult.
I’m going to guess you’ve never modeled anything (other than a box) in your life with that last line you spit out. Crazy you or anyone would ever make such an erroneous statement.

Anyways, this was my favorite part of the article…

Quote:
As you have seen throughout the game over the last two years, NFL Next Gen Stats is a big part of where we’re taking our game in terms of player performance and we’re continuing to find more ways to integrate this data into ratings processes in the future.
With next gen stats becoming the focal point, we shouldn’t see some things like the new movement, route running, speed, etc. going anywhere anytime soon.
Old 07-30-2021, 12:29 PM   #10
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

At least in terms of movement, the comp goal of unrealistic User agency may have finally been defeated.

It's so interesting how sports video games, really bring out the over the top homerism and OCD traits in people.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 07-30-2021, 01:52 PM   #11
CNFL Commissioner

XtremeDunkz's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
At least in terms of movement, the comp goal of unrealistic User agency may have finally been defeated.

It's so interesting how sports video games, really bring out the over the top homerism and OCD traits in people.
Eh not completely sadly. There was one podcast where they talked about the defensive user needing to be "a super hero" to be fun. So it's clear that's never going away.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Twitch

Twitter

NFL Green Bay Packers

NBA Philadelphia 76ers

MLB Philladelphia Phillies

NHL Philadelphia Flyers
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2021, 03:00 PM   #12
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBleedingRed21
I’m going to guess you’ve never modeled anything (other than a box) in your life with that last line you spit out. Crazy you or anyone would ever make such an erroneous statement.

Anyways, this was my favorite part of the article…

With next gen stats becoming the focal point, we shouldn’t see some things like the new movement, route running, speed, etc. going anywhere anytime soon.
My first day with Blender I made a perfect 3D Mario. Sure, I had someone guiding me through the tools, but still, first day. For a professional artist? No, it's not that difficult, not for a professional 3D artist well versed in the tool (and whatever other tools they use).

Here's a guy doing it pretty easily:

If EA can't hire someone well versed enough to use the tool and its add-ons as good as this guy, they have no business being an AAA video game company. I mean, it’s not like they’d have to do it from scratch. Start with a base, pin some images to it, then compile a texture.

SIDENOTE: You don’t need perfect pictures to make a decent approximation.

All it needs is super ninja googling skills to find pictures that you can adjust in size to get "close enough." Because, again, I'm not asking for a perfect face. I'm asking for a decent approximation if a face scan cannot be done.

Granted, some might prefer a completely generic face to a lesser quality approximation that won’t be as good as a face scan, but I am not among them.
https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2049813056

Last edited by your mom; 06-06-2006 at 6:06 PM.

Last edited by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞; 07-30-2021 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-30-2021, 03:10 PM   #13
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Since Blender (I believe he is using Keentools) can make your butterfly texture from photos, really, you don't even need ONLY photos of the guy in question. You can use photos of guys who kind of like look him if you can't find a photo of him at a particular angle.
https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2049813056

Last edited by your mom; 06-06-2006 at 6:06 PM.
Old 07-30-2021, 03:23 PM   #14
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

I am not aware of a single AAA studio that uses Blender?

Last I was aware of the industry standard modeling / rigging / animating tools are Autodesk 3D Studio Max and Autodesk Maya. A recent Tiburon character artist job posting requires proficiency with Maya and ZBrush.

In any event, there’s far more that goes into creating a 3D character’s face than just modeling and texturing.
Old 07-30-2021, 03:27 PM   #15
Rookie

They are still missing a lot of gameday equipment available in The Yard like undershirts, back towels, updated arm sleeves... Since they weren't able to do many face scans they should have at least given us the ability to create a face like in The Yard so we could create something similar. Minimal effort and a skip year for me based on what was shown thus far.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2021, 03:32 PM   #16
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeDunkz
Eh not completely sadly. There was one podcast where they talked about the defensive user needing to be "a super hero" to be fun. So it's clear that's never going away.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I went back and listened to that segment to be sure, and Tom(a producer, not a gameplay designer who you can tell is more of a casual player) was basically talking about how it's been that way historically, but Clint didn't come across as agreeing that it was a necessary part of the game.

IMO, with the improvements in coverage, AI, AI pass rushing and now adding game planning, along with User offensive players not being able to swerve all over the place, I'm not expecting User defenders to ever be able to single handedly dominate a game without being schematically sound, but we'll see.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »