Home

Performance or Quality?

This is a discussion on Performance or Quality? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-13-2021, 04:57 PM   #49
It's 5 o'clock somewhere

beau21's Arena

OVR: 24
Performance or Quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Glass
Brah, you want sign language or something? That simplest explanation I can think of..

Ha! Slow learner over here

Call me ignorant, but I didn’t realize PS5 wasn’t capable of displaying 1440p atm. Seems like an odd decision by Sony to not include that out of the gate.

I would assume that would push PS5 Perf mode down to 1080p/120fps and Quality to 4160/60 for gameplay, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2021, 05:02 PM   #50
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Performance or Quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxGamerXx
Once again, where did I say the PS5 cannot do 120hz?

The only time ps5 can do 120hz if is if the game offers that fps most of the time without substantial dips. Call of duty does 120fps almost locked the whole time meaning VRR is irrelevant in that equation.

I said that X for madden has unlocked FPS which is different than a targeted 120fps like Call of duty.

On series X, the game has an unlocked FPS in performance mode since my OLED stats show that during replays or some cutscenes the fps can go from 120 to 60 or 50 which VRR fixes.

The PS5 does not have VRR so they cannot unlock the fps. They can only do a targeted 120fps that is locked most of the time for VRR to be irrelevant. But if PS5 madden was going to do a targeted 120fps it would require a massive hit to visuals which they are not going to do. If PS5 had VRR it would allow the fps to be unlocked and smooth whatever the fps is

Go check out A Plagues Tale game. On series x it has an unlocked FPS due to VRR and on PS5 it does not.
I’m not trying to derail but curious on the unlocked framerate claim. Playstation has many games with unlocked framerate. Maybe I miss understand what you’re saying because I’m a layman. I would like to get an official statement from EA on why PS5 isn’t available in 120.
Old 08-13-2021, 05:14 PM   #51
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmetcalfe
I’m not trying to derail but curious on the unlocked framerate claim. Playstation has many games with unlocked framerate. Maybe I miss understand what you’re saying because I’m a layman. I would like to get an official statement from EA on why PS5 isn’t available in 120.
If the ps5 is 30fps in a game and they unlock it then it would top at 60fps because ps5 cannot do native 120hz

If a ps5 game like Cold War targets 120fps it must be locked or close to locked most of the time so vrr would not be required. Madden imo offers the 4K 60fps locked in performance mode. In quality mode same except replays and cutscenes are 30fps

On series x it’s the same except in performance mode since x can natively do 120hz from the console and offers VRR that they can unlock the FPS and in performance mode the target is 120fps which any dips and there are would be smoothed out by vrr.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2021, 05:17 PM   #52
MVP

Gorilla Glass's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau21

Call me ignorant, but I didn’t realize PS5 wasn’t capable of displaying 1440p atm. Seems like an odd decision by Sony to not include that out of the gate.

I would assume that would push PS5 Perf mode down to 1080p/120fps and Quality to 4160/60 for gameplay, no?

Not sure, but destiny 2 pvp is capable of 1440p due to downscaling, From what I understand.
Old 08-13-2021, 05:39 PM   #53
Rookie

The Real Ma$$ive's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau21

PS5 can do 1440p, your tv just have to have the option. I recorded this video on performance by mistake I think and it's 1440 and I'm playing Madden 22 on PS5.

So whoever said it wasn't capable on PS5 is wrong.

https://youtu.be/tkYEE41QVrM
https://youtube.com/@GamingEntertain...m6O_Ib1XywTMwF
---------------------------------------------

Old 08-13-2021, 05:48 PM   #54
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Ma$$ive
PS5 can do 1440p, your tv just have to have the option. I recorded this video on performance by mistake I think and it's 1440 and I'm playing Madden 22 on PS5.

PS5 from the console cannot do native 1440p...That has zero to do with the game resolution.

Games like Sekiro are 1800p on consoles. There is no tv or monitor that does 1800p

Internal resolution which is the resolution that the game (not console) outputs is what matters.

1440p for PS5 console is only asked for by monitor gamers who have a 1440p monitor and cannot get the ps5 to output that from the console level. So they must drop down to 1080p

Even at 1080p output on a 1440p monitor the ps5 game will still render the resolution at whatever it is. 4k 1600p or 1800p or 1440p or 1200p and it scales down to 1080p if using a 1440p or 1080p monitor and if using a 4k monitor it scales up to 4k.

It is not rocket science.

For Madden. The only reason it does not offer 120fps mode is because the lack of VRR... You cannot unlock the fps on madden for ps5 since it does not do native 120hz .. EA would have to lock the fps in madden 22 for ps5 at 120fps to avoid issues with no VRR like COD black ops. But that would require a massive drop to resolution.

On series X they can do it since it does 120hz native and has vrr so they can just unlock the fps
Old 08-13-2021, 05:52 PM   #55

m1ke_nyc's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Ma$$ive

PS5 does not have native support for 1440p.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2021, 06:34 PM   #56
Armchair GM

TecmoZack's Arena

OVR: 7

I’m playing Quality and think it runs just fine

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

On the Xbox - xPonchoChief

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »