Home

Route Based Passing in Madden 10?

This is a discussion on Route Based Passing in Madden 10? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 02:01 AM   #57
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: Route Based Passing in Madden 10?

Here's some examples of route based passing used in a game from a league I was in a couple years back (wow, didn't realize it was that long!)

Keep an eye out for these items:
  • 3:30 - Pass to Owens on a Post route over the Middle (route based pass)
  • 7:27 - Out Route Pass (route based pass)
  • 8:30 - Just for fun -INT'd pass for TD as 2nd quarter expires
  • 10:24 - Post Route to TE over the middle
Old 05-31-2010, 09:15 AM   #58
Wolverine Soldier

Jackdog's Arena

OVR: 37

The only forum we allow comparisons between the football games is here: http://www.operationsports.com/forums/football-other/

We do that to cut down on the already rampant arguments and flame wars over football games. We have had enough of that at OS. It will not be tolerated. Discuss the game,criticize the game. Leave the comparisons to other games out of your comments.

Thanks.
NCAA:Michigan Wolverines.
F-1: Ferrari.

It's been a while OS. Hope all are doing well!
Old 05-31-2010, 10:29 AM   #59
Rookie

OVR: 1

Great clips TNT. I always new it was in the game because i use that out to the WR tons of time in game. The DB was like where is the WR going.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:04 PM   #60
Rookie

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
You continue to ignore the fact that there's a REASON the coverage isn't right. They had to break it in order to get coverage to work at all, and part and parcel of that is the fact that you can throw/catch anytime.
No.

The coverage is broken because it has never, ever, incorporated proper logic. They never had to "break" it because it was never implemented properly. Probably for the same reason that blocking was incorrect for so long. Either they didn't know, didn't have the time or didn't have the technology to do it right.

Quote:
Then use an option route. Provide the ability to hot route an option route. It's pretty weak to suggest that psychic WR/QB abilities should exist in Madden because you're not getting a WR feature you want.
The point is it already works pretty well. Why spend time adjusting the passing game when there are other, larger, areas of weakness.

Quote:
We definitely disagree here. There's no way the QB should dictate the route the WR is running based on the pass that is thrown. That just doesn't happen, especially if the WR isn't looking for the ball.

He's watching his coverage, but he's not the one who can determine whether or not he's open. There's a point the ball is expected to be delivered, whether or not the WR decides to alter their route. That is the point the WR should expect the ball.
What are you even talking about here?

The WR is reading the coverage, but he doesn't determine if he's open? Is he confused? Is he ********? He can't determine to have the pass thrown at him, but he can, does and will continue to find the hole in the zone and check to see if the pass is coming his way.

And when does the QB dictate the route? He throws the ball at a point during the route in which the WR finds the soft spot.

Quote:
Problem is I can read a route, throw it, knowing that if the WR runs the route, and catches it, that it'll be a completed pass. But you can't do that in Madden because the WR never runs their route, they just react to the ball which may, or may not, be on target due to the WR adjusting to the ball, instead of running their route, as soon as the ball is thrown.
And, of course, NFL receivers ignore the ball in the air. And Madden receivers never run the route...apparently.

Hyperbole much?

Stop exagerating your arguement, you're losing any semblence of a valid arguement at this point.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:06 PM   #61
Rookie

OVR: 1

Good argument here. I actually went and bought APF2k8 to test out this argument myself and i can see the difference. My question to Valdarez is how can one even expect to play...let alone enjoy madden in a realistic fashion when you can do the pass/catch thing at any point in the route? It really does change things.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-31-2010, 06:09 PM   #62
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
I knew the type of person I was dealing with when I saw your video and the commentary in it, and when you continued to ignore my questions/points. Nothing rationale about you my friend.

And I am anything but ignorant.

Noticed you run (and probably participate) in weekly Madden tournaments for $$$. Are you serious about wanting real aspects of football play incorporated into the game, or simply trying to defend your tournament turf?

Later.
I apologize for calling you ignorant... I should have said you've been misinformed, or you misinterpreted the information you were privy to; not just about the capabilities of the game, but perhaps about me as well.

I have owned and operated another Madden site for over 7 years. We specialize in strategies, communities, and competition. We host cash tournaments, have an annual Tip of the Month contest with four $50.00 monthly prizes during the NFL regular season. We've awarded over $6,700.00 in prizes in 11 tournaments with live online scoring in Raleigh, North Carolina. Most pertinent, I wrote a college paper analyzing differences between the Read and Lead passing system and QB Vision with Precision Passing. You may have even been to my site, without knowing it's mine.

There's a reason that I've been a member since 2004, but haven't posted much. I'm keenly interested in making sure the education young Madden players (or old ones) is based on the most facts possible. I usually post when there is something controversial that requires another viewpoint or when there's a misconception that needs clearing up:

1) When I heard in 2004 that you can't run an offense from under center because of all the nanos, I set out to prove them wrong. I've been under center ever since.

2) I've been playing random challengers online almost exclusively since November 2002. I've played against ever glitch gadget imaginable. I've also had some really great games with SIM and Tourney players alike...

But when I see misinformation about Madden, I feel it's my duty to share what I know (even if I'm not so diplomatic). For these reasons, I'll always seem like I'm playing the devil's advocate at any site you see me post on, SIM or Tourney...

Lastly, I'm not here to make friends. I'd prefer to meet folks on the field where the brand of football they play speaks volumes as to the type of person they are. I'm here to set the record straight about routes and passing in Madden.

In any case, here's video #3... ONE FINGER ROUTE BASED PASSING

Enjoy...

Later

P.S. I just posted this so the quality may not be all that great... If it looks bad, check it again after 8PM EST.

Later
Old 05-31-2010, 06:31 PM   #63
MVP

OVR: 55

The 3rd video basically confirmed what I thought. I've been using this without thinking about it for the majority of my time with M10.

Thanks for posting the videos. It's an interesting topic.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Old 05-31-2010, 06:32 PM   #64
Banned

tlc12576's Arena

OVR: 7

I had already posted this in another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc12576
I just read through all of this and the some of the disagreement comes down to semantics.IMO,it seems you guys and TNT are saying the same phrase,"route based passing" but using it differently.

I think TNT is refering more to the action of route based passing,using it as a verb.He is able to make timed throws to receivers which are based on the receivers' progression in a predetermined route.

I think you guys are refering more to the system or object route based passing,using it as a noun.This system allows you to make a throw based on a receivers predetermined route at anytime.

TNT is saying he doesnt care about the route based passing system because he is still able to simulate some route based passing actions using Madden 10s' passing system.

TNT,the other guys are trying to inform you that,the fact that the pass has to be timed with the receivers' progression in the route is what seperates the systems.With a route based passing system,you can throw that out,curl,comeback,fade or whatever at anytime and the ball will still be thrown to where the receiver would theoretically be at the completion of the predetermined route.For example,an out n up in Madden 10 would have to be timed so you don't throw just an out.With a route based passing system,you will always throw the up no matter what.

The route based passing systems' is based on a receiver running his route and getting to a predetermined spot on the field where the QB is passing the ball to.The pass is based mainly on the route,not the receiver.

In Madden 10,to simulate a route based passing action,the QB is passing the ball based on the receivers' progression in a predetermined route.The pass is based mainly on the receiver,not the route.
I think having an option to be able to engage the route base passing system would help most of the issues,IMO.Someone said previous Maddens had a button option for it but that wouldnt be adequate,IMO.

The way Madden 10 passing system is,you have receivers constantly adjusting to the pass even in when it's thrown to a receivers "blind spot".A route based pass system would still allow a receiver to adjust to the pass but only if the pass is in reasonable proximity of the predetermined end of the route.Any pass thrown to a receivers "blind spot" would catch the receiver unaware.Using this system would require a player to have to hot route in different situations to adjust the receivers blind spot so they are looking for the pass to be thrown,like the real NFL.

IMO,though,a route based passing system with hot routes is the most NFL realistic.Making this an option would allow for people to decide which system they would like to use.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »