Home

Finding balance using sliders

This is a discussion on Finding balance using sliders within the Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #57
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Finding balance using sliders

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzsomehanz
There we go. I'm going to see how I can zip up the sliders so there are no open spaces on our tests. If your highest value is going to be 50, then that should be what your test is out of - nothing on your sliders should exceed 50. I feel 100 is too high because its like having a test where not all the questions are answered - as you said, 50 felt 'small'.

My judgment is that a tighter test will produce a more refined game. Having a 50 tackling ability when the range is 100 seems wasteful to many and so does every other slider when all that potential is unable to be tapped.

The community has discovered that QB's can still throw an accurate ball below 10, so why have the interaction with pass coverage at a range of 100?

In conclusion, I like the idea of using a smaller test sample - esp if we are looking for simulated gamestyle. The only challenge I see ahead is our resistance to change and our rigidness on set conclusions. If the game can be sampled 50/100, it can certainly be sampled 50/50.

Balaou, you are getting us closer to realizing perfection - Akita has shined light on how the components compliment each other and now we are going to complement that relationship with the appropriate efficacy - its going to bring a striking balance of thunder and lightening, ying and yang. Obvs, we can get a perfect score on this test
Keep it simple guys and stay within the parameters I have put forth.
If you go outside of those parameters it changes the dynamics of everything including trying to help people enjoy this game.

Most people have no idea where to even start with sliders. If you start over anylyzzing what I'm doing your going to confuse people.

If everyone would clear there mind and play the dam game with my settings and just have fun you will see the game behaves much like real football. Do you guys watch football? Have you been noticing how the real NFL is? It's not perfect as is nothing. Stop picking apart everything looking for some clarity you never get when it comes to the sliders.

At the very least I am trying to provide a logical way to approach and interpret these sliders as this makes it much easier to understand if it actually makes sense.

No slider set is perfect and thank god because football is an imperfect game.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:37 AM   #58
"I reckon so."

Last Gunfighter's Arena

Thumbs up Re: Finding balance using sliders

I am finding this is all very interesting. I have read just about every slider thread on here and I couldn't agree more that they have been all over the place with often no rhyme or reason to them. Change some sliders, play a few games, change some more sliders, play a few more, repeat, all in hopes of finding the magical perfect balance, very unlikely IMHO. As the old saying goes, if you throw enough s**t against the wall some of it is going to stick but I don't think this is how you come up with a working slider set, it's just a shot in the dark, there's no plan, no formula, no logic behind it.

On the other hand I think your "Balance" theory carries weight. Adjusting the sliders that are logically linked seems to make perfect sense and would in turn logically keep the game balanced. As opposed to arbitrarily adjusting them all over the place which would then upset the balance and as a result screw up the CPU AI, not only for the CPU controlled team but also for any non-user controlled players, throwing the whole game out of whack.

My question is if this is the way they were intended to be used why didn't EA just make it easy for everyone and link the sliders on the menu, much like the Auto-sub in and out sliders are linked. For example, if User QBA was linked to CPU PDR raising or lowering it would then raise or lower CPU PDR accordingly, automatically maintaining the all important balance.

I have tried many different sets from here and have yet to find one that I think delivers consistently in all areas. I am very excited to give these a try and will let you know what I think. Nice job thinking outside the box, now to put theory into practice!

"If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" -Tuco
Old 09-17-2012, 11:54 AM   #59
Rookie

Has there been any resolution for the corners taking a step forward when it's man to man coverage? The CPU is not even doing play action and it's not press coverage but they step towards the line of scrimmage and the WR's blow past them.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:05 PM   #60
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodatdawg
I am finding this is all very interesting. I have read just about every slider thread on here and I couldn't agree more that they have been all over the place with often no rhyme or reason to them. Change some sliders, play a few games, change some more sliders, play a few more, repeat, all in hopes of finding the magical perfect balance, very unlikely IMHO. As the old saying goes, if you throw enough s**t against the wall some of it is going to stick but I don't think this is how you come up with a working slider set, it's just a shot in the dark, there's no plan, no formula, no logic behind it.

On the other hand I think your "Balance" theory carries weight. Adjusting the sliders that are logically linked seems to make perfect sense and would in turn logically keep the game balanced. As opposed to arbitrarily adjusting them all over the place which would then upset the balance and as a result screw up the CPU AI, not only for the CPU controlled team but also for any non-user controlled players, throwing the whole game out of whack.

My question is if this is the way they were intended to be used why didn't EA just make it easy for everyone and link the sliders on the menu, much like the Auto-sub in and out sliders are linked. For example, if User QBA was linked to CPU PDR raising or lowering it would then raise or lower CPU PDR accordingly, automatically maintaining the all important balance.

I have tried many different sets from here and have yet to find one that I think delivers consistently in all areas. I am very excited to give these a try and will let you know what I think. Nice job thinking outside the box, now to put theory into practice!
First of all EA never explains anything about anything. You know developers from EA read through some of these forums and threads for feedback so they are plenty aware that people really have no clue to understanding sliders, or they laugh there buts off reading how complicated some people make the slider adjustment process.

My logical in this is quite simple and common sense played a big role in coming to my conclusions. When you think about the sliders they adjust interaction between players. So I chose the slider that had interaction such as QB accuracy and P D React Time etc. It's really a spime idea, wow! Can it really be explained that easy? The answer is yes.

That is part of why EA doesn't comment on sliders is how would they Explain it? People can't understand my simple logic and they just keep digging.

And this also works for NCAA 2013 as well. EA won't tell u that either.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:08 PM   #61
"I reckon so."

Last Gunfighter's Arena

Just a quick question, how do you have your auto-subs set? Are you seeing substitutions like you would in a real game? Thanks!

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #62
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodatdawg
Just a quick question, how do you have your auto-subs set? Are you seeing substitutions like you would in a real game? Thanks!
Im still playing around with the auto- sub, i use 60 fatigue. The fatigue u choose will affect the auto sub.

I mainly want the CPU to sub correctly as the user I can sub anyone I want at anytime with R 1.

I will be post my auto subs later this evening. They are producing fairly well for the CPU with my settings.
M
Fatigue and it's affect on auto- sub is the key.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:58 PM   #63
"I reckon so."

Last Gunfighter's Arena

Cool, I'll check them out later.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:52 PM   #64
Pro

OVR: 6

I have tried out the fast speed and threshold 70 and I am glad I did! Great game play here, not as fast as I thought it would be. Quite realistic IMO.

Runs, both inside and outside can be effective, but not overly so. Guards pull and get in front of the RB properly, etc. I use the Vikings (wanted a challenging rebuild) and many sets/threshold/speeds resulted in AP running buck wild all over the field. Not so here. CPU AI is good and the game plays out very well.

I am, however, still not seeing fumbles like you have stated you're getting. I did adjust my balance to 12 tackle/88 break tackle due to the fact that I like to see more wrap tackles versus the land mine type tackling you get at higher tackle settings. The fumble slider is 50/50 as you call for. This has provided for better running game animations.

I wonder if there is also a relationship between the tackle slider value and the fumble slider value. Perhaps I would need to raise the tackle slider to see more fumbles, as the 12 tackle doesn't trigger enough fumbles in relation to the 50 value. I just don't relish the idea due to the WWE type tackling that comes along with it.

I know you don't recommend lowering the fumbles, but I may try 25/25 or so on these just to see what happens.

I was getting to the point of shelving this game until EA patched it, but your settings have saved it for me. EA still needs to patch some of the CCM issues to make it usable,, and I will wait to start my CCM until they do just that, but I am really beginning to enjoy this title now thanks to your discovery.

Last edited by Sturzinator; 09-17-2012 at 03:55 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders »