Home

The OS all madden slider project

This is a discussion on The OS all madden slider project within the Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-26-2004, 09:14 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 1
Thumbs up Re: The OS all madden slider project

i would like to give this a try but i was wondering does it matter if i do it in franchise mode. Also i like playing with the Colts and using their no huddle, does this matter. i'm with u just let me know.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:19 PM   #10
Pro

TheProfessional's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: The OS all madden slider project

I haven't been able to sit down and play test yet, but just a few quick questions for you.

1. How does the pocket feel? Does it feel like a pocket where you can step up in there at times?

2.How does the run blocking seem to you? are you actually seeing holes to run through? And second are you seeing good defensive linemen shake off a run block to stuff a play in the hole?

3. Are you seeing a lot of passes deflected by corner backs? That was one of my major concerns when i sought out to create a slider set of my own.

Anyway going to go sit down and a play test a bit with a the 9/7 defaults.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:37 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 6

I can answer all of your questions:

1. To me I feel I MUST step into the pocket. If you just drop back and drop back and keep going you get sacked or the throw takes too long. The pocket seems perfect to step right into and deliver. Watch out for the good lines though because they can quickly shake a block and hit your arm causing mis throws.

2. Run blocking feels pretty good. I can see nice holes where the play is designed. And I can also bounce plays outside too. But I don't think its dominanting. It can collapse quickly if you dont make your mind up and hit the whole.

3. You hit the nail on the head. This is my main area of concern. It am getting too many tipped passes. I am going to live a few more than real life becasue over/underthrows dont come very frequently. But this does need fixing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2004, 09:39 PM   #12
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj22mack
i would like to give this a try but i was wondering does it matter if i do it in franchise mode. Also i like playing with the Colts and using their no huddle, does this matter. i'm with u just let me know.
Not sure if you are talking about mine. But yeah you can use these in franchise and no huddle. But like in real life make sure the play clock gets down around like 15 so you dont get too many plays.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:15 AM   #13
Pro

TheProfessional's Arena

OVR: 4

Well, i just got done play testing setting all the human sliders at 9 and the CPU sliders at 7. Like i had mention in my earlier post, I'm going to concentrate on the lines first, and then try and tweak from there. Because i firmly believe like all analyst say, it starts up front. I saw some things i liked. I saw some things didn't sit well with me either.

First the things i liked.

1. Run blocking for both the cpu and human seemed nice. It seemed to have a nice flow to it. Like you said, playing the CPU you do have to make a decision and go with it, whether it be to try to squeak through the hole, cut it back, or break it outside. Getting around the corner seems realistic too. It will be there, but not every single time.

2. Break block for both the CPU and human seemed about right. I didn't want to mess with it too much because the run blocking seemed nice.

Now the things that disturbed me.

1. Pass blocking for both the CPU and human seemed "off" The CPU should be able to get pressure on me, but when a CPU linebacker just shoves an offensive lineman to the ground time and time again. That just shouldn't sit well with me and plus it doesn't happen. As for the CPU pass blocking, i don't think any defensive lineman should be pancaked three times in a row, I don't think any defensive lineman PERIOD should be pancaked (not in the NFL). Especially if the offensive lineman is rated lower than the defensive lineman.

These weren't isolated incidents, i saw them happening time and time again. I do think the human pass block needs to be raised and the cpu pass block needs to come down.

I tried human pass block at 12 and CPU pass block at 4 and 5.

At 12 (for the human) i saw a very realistic give and take. I tested against good lines (like the panthers) and not so good lines (take your pick). When the CPU used teams like the panthers, jenkins and peppers got consistent pressure. They were able to push offensive lineman back into the pocket and also distrupt plays. I also saw rookie offensive lineman controlled get eaten alive on occasions, which was great to see! Even if the CPU didn't get a sack they were able to force a roll out or a bad/hurried throw. I also noticed the the ability of my offensive line to pick up the blitz when i had enough men blocking. Something i didn't see with the defaut sliders. So try it at 12 and see what you think, i think it has real nice feel to it.

As for the CPU passing at 4/5. I saw the same thing. I rarely saw the CPU offensive lineman get shoved to the ground, but i also was able to get pressure with a good defensive lines as well get little to no pressure with bad defensive lines. I'm not sure about lowering it this low, but it seems to be working for me. I still want to test this as i want to see if the cpu is able to pick up the blitz as well. But i do definitely think the CPU pass block needs to be lowered. By how much i'm not sure yet.

A side note not regarding the line play, awareness needs to be bumped up for the human, however, i'm beginning to think there's no need for it to be overly bumped up to say 20. If anyone really wants to test the direct effect of the awareness slider, just go into practice mode and play defense. Select a man to man coverge. For the cpu pick a passing play that is a curl route for the wide outs. Now don't touch anything and just watch the play. Go into instant replay and just watch how your defensive back reacts when the wideout runs his curl. At lower levels of awareness, there's quite a bit of delay before your defensive back realizes that the wideout just made his cut and gets into position. On higher levels obviously there's less and less of a delay. I also think the CPU awareness may need to be bumped down to 6. Going to test this some more, but at 7 the CPU defensive backs always seem to cover a lot of ground REALLY QUICKLY at the last second to knock my pass away. It really seemed like the CPU was cheating and not playing good defensive when i saw it. This might be corrected by dropping knockdowns to 0 so we'll see.

Last edited by TheProfessional; 09-27-2004 at 12:22 AM.
Old 09-28-2004, 03:05 AM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 1

Nice baseline for me! The things I noticed and have since changed to fit my playstyle were:

1) CPU defensive awareness -- Their cornerbacks were turning and breaking on thrown balls before my receivers even made their cuts and turned their heads. This is NOT realistic. Occasionally, a DB will jump a route that he recognizes (see: Seattle @ Green Bay in last year's playoff game), but not very often because they know they can get burned. So, I turned down CPU Awareness a little bit. Okay, a lot.

2) Human defensive awareness -- Unlike the CPU, the human defenders rarely turned their heads at all and would just wander around the field like lost puppies, heading vaguely in the direction of the receiver who's streaking downfield. So, I turned it up to around 12, but that MIGHT be a little too high. I'll probably end up turning it down to 10 or 11.

3) CPU running -- Still non-existent for me, and I just called plays and let the CPU control the players. I lowered human break block to 1, tackling stayed at 7, and CPU running controls both went to 15. Their running game is now even with mine, so I'm definitely happy about that.

4) Punt returns and kickoff returns -- Still haven't been able to even come close to running anything back or getting over 20 yards on a return. I think that's pretty much a lost cause, but if you figure out how to do it, PLEASE let me know. It was too easy last year, but this year -- LOL good luck.

Keep up the good work!
Old 10-01-2004, 06:46 PM   #15
MVP

Guys I think I am going to pick this back up... If there is any interest just let me know if you want to help...

I liked how these played but needed a couple tweaks on the D line and O line.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2004, 11:17 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 2

ill be glad to help, I can be a tester because i am not to good at tweaking

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders »