Home

What Are You Guys Thoughts On The Maddenation Interview?

This is a discussion on What Are You Guys Thoughts On The Maddenation Interview? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-04-2005, 12:14 AM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: What Are You Guys Thoughts On The Maddenation Interview?

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor34
That's the thing--I don't think they rewrote it. Sure, you can rewrite code to be pretty similar, but judging from past efforts I don't think EA has that type of talent for something that large of scale in a short amount of time(or if they do, they hide it pretty well, lol). Maybe reworked graphic capabities 360 specific enhancements, but that's about it. EA is all about one thing--money. What costs more, a rewrite from scratch or a port with enhancements? A rewrite of course. What sounds better from a pr perspective? A rewrite. I think it's just a pr ploy designed to please the fans. If Madden 360 was lacking all these features and they said nothing, people would be really pissed. Now when they said that they've rewrote it, it buys them "well, they worked really hard on it this year, maybe next year" comments. They've told quite a few lies before, so it's not really unusual (or in this case, probably a half-truth). Regardless, the consumer is the one that's hurt. This is just my opinion though, and I could be wrong.

Taylor34
In my opinion, the game is re-written, considering this is when EA does re-write their games. Madden was given a new fresh engine with the coming of the PlayStation 2 and is getting the same with the Xbox 360. Madden gets it's new engine when the world gets it's next gen.

To me, EA does spend alot of money at the beginning of a generations cycle, and they save the money throughout the course of the cycle by using that engine and enhancing it along the way.

Instead of being forced into a re-write with less time later on in a generation by an aging engine, EA creates a new engine right off the bat with next gen and then builds off of that.

This is the year that EA will pour alot of money into the Madden franchise.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-04-2005, 12:18 AM   #42
MVP

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
Also remember they're stretching themselves thinner with an Arena League game coming out first quarter 2006, and I guess we'll have to endure another NFL Street release (well, I won't).
Don't forget the NFL Head Coach game, too.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:11 AM   #43
ObiWanJenkins

OVR:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor34
That's the thing--I don't think they rewrote it. Sure, you can rewrite code to be pretty similar, but judging from past efforts I don't think EA has that type of talent for something that large of scale in a short amount of time(or if they do, they hide it pretty well, lol). Maybe reworked graphic capabities 360 specific enhancements, but that's about it. EA is all about one thing--money. What costs more, a rewrite from scratch or a port with enhancements? A rewrite of course. What sounds better from a pr perspective? A rewrite. I think it's just a pr ploy designed to please the fans. If Madden 360 was lacking all these features and they said nothing, people would be really pissed. Now when they said that they've rewrote it, it buys them "well, they worked really hard on it this year, maybe next year" comments. They've told quite a few lies before, so it's not really unusual (or in this case, probably a half-truth). Regardless, the consumer is the one that's hurt. This is just my opinion though, and I could be wrong.

Taylor34
Two years is a short amount of time? If they didn't re-write the game engine, as they said, that would be false advertising. That opens them up to any industrious armchair hacker that can crack the disc and read the code. All one would need to do is compare the two versions. Seems pretty stupid to open yourself up to lawsuits like that. I would agree with you if not for the latest interview where Strauser elaborates on exactly which aspects of the engine were re-written. Of course you know that it doesn't mean old code wasn't used while rebuilding the whole engine.

What takes more effort? A straight port or removing all features from the game and then porting. Obviously a straight port. Seriously, these conspiracy theories about EA are just plain silly. It costs much more to plan statements about things that aren't true, than to just do the things you're talking about.

What lies has EA told before? I cannot recall anything EA has promised that it hasn't delivered. I will admit that they have been ambiguous in the past, but never outright lied. I have seen EA called a liar because a person misinterpreted the statement.

Old 11-04-2005, 06:24 AM   #44
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiWanJenkins
I don't understand what you mean by "alpha build" that you were right about. If you're referring to the BK video that were called alphas, the videos have changed significantly since then. If it's something after that, please elaborate.

I think this interview should tell everybody everything they want to know about Madden 06 for the 360. I won't be purchasing it, but more because I can wait until next year to buy the new consoles. My Xbox works fine, and I already have Madden 06.

I think the effects of a greater involvement with the NFL are being shown in this version, and my hope is that the radio announcer stays as an option when the ESPN announcing team is incorporated. Strauser does worry me when he comments on playoff and Superbowl commentary. There was playoff and Superbowl specific commentary in the this generation, but it was horrible.

I love his not so subtle dig at NaturalMotion. I, for one, would love to see a Take Two game incorporate it this year or next. While I understand what he is saying, he's sounding completely afraid to try something new.

To me, this is more and more proof that 2006 is the do or die year for Madden. It will have to include, at the very least, player editing, gang tackles and piling on, and other minor issues that were not added to the 2005 version. I don't believe there can be a "wait til next year" for EA in 2006.
Actually the "chicken little" comment is a not-so-subtle, tongue-in-cheek comment at TJ. The "alpha build" comments refer back to Mr. "my inside source at EA says....." "these gameplay vids are so out of date....." MikeJones1964. To put things in proper perspective: I'm not mad at or trying to slam anyone. I'm just refering to the fact that Jeremy Strausser confirmed a lot of what the naysayers feared about this game. I agree with all of your comments, good and bad. What kinda twists my drawers is how this is becoming a place where it is a crime to disagree with those who are in Love with this title. It is good-looking, and a great new start. But it looks so Madden I think that's where I'm a little underwhelmed. I've owned 10 Madden's and 1 ESPN so I would have to consider myself more of a Madden fanboy than 2k5. I was just hoping to see a paradigm shift. New Generation, new look and gameplay. The last gen of Madden (PS2,Xbox) looked a world different than ,say, Madden 93 for the Genesis.

I'm glad you noted how it seems that JS/Tiburon is seemingly afraid to rock the boat. "If it ain't broke don't fix it." Well, we wouldn't have had Star Wars or the Matrix or any other highly special-effect filled movie with that attitude. They should try to push the envelope with physics and AI. That would end all of the "roster update" accusations. I just don't understand why the Tiburon team doesn't just spend the production cycle time solely on gameplay and graphics. Create-a-player is cool, so is owner mode: but not if the football part is still short of perfect....This isn't about criticizing, it's imploring. EA's got enough to get my money this year. But I agree with you, this next prodution cycle is going to really going to be my final last bit of faith. If Madden doesn't become more sim and less the Madden Challenge cheesefest complete with jetpacking and passing 59 times a game I'm about through. Maybe Tiburon should take a tip from the NASCAR team. Make the fun cheesefest and a real sim title. Both would probably seel pretty well. And before the peanut gallery chimes in, I know that EA could care less what I think....

P.S. To clarify: in launching this title Tiburon did put an emphasis on Gameplay/graphics, and I love that. I was meaning year-to-year until we have the ultimate game....

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Last edited by BrianFifaFan; 11-04-2005 at 06:28 AM.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:32 AM   #45
MVP

FlyingFinn's Arena

OVR: 29

Being a Sr. Software Engineer, the rule of any new undertaking is to implement the foundation and most risk laden things first. EA said they did the first by rewriting the core engine. However, since gang-tackling and real O-Line/D-Line interaction/schemes did not make it in this release, I doubt they will ever make it into this generation of the game being how complicated they are... No way is EA going to rewrite the engine again to be a true physics engine that includes these things if they could not include them in the launch release.

Just my .02 from a development perspective. We just started a new "rewrite" project at work so this kind of hits home for me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-04-2005, 07:57 AM   #46
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briankingsfan
I'm glad you noted how it seems that JS/Tiburon is seemingly afraid to rock the boat. "If it ain't broke don't fix it." Well, we wouldn't have had Star Wars or the Matrix or any other highly special-effect filled movie with that attitude. They should try to push the envelope with physics and AI.
They should, they could, they might… but they won’t. And who can blame them? If I had a multi-million (billion?) dollar business happening, the last thing I’m gonna do is CHANGE ANYTHING! And I’d be nuts to. Madden is what it is: a money-making “product”. It is not a “football game” in the eyes of the people whose interests and profits would be on the line if the game were to change.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:34 AM   #47
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
Being a Sr. Software Engineer, the rule of any new undertaking is to implement the foundation and most risk laden things first. EA said they did the first by rewriting the core engine. However, since gang-tackling and real O-Line/D-Line interaction/schemes did not make it in this release, I doubt they will ever make it into this generation of the game being how complicated they are... No way is EA going to rewrite the engine again to be a true physics engine that includes these things if they could not include them in the launch release.

Just my .02 from a development perspective. We just started a new "rewrite" project at work so this kind of hits home for me.

I had that thought too. I just don't buy the idea that we'll ever actually see real blocking schemes or ragdoll physics in a MADDEN game. C'mon, people, this is Madden. Gameplay has never been the primary concern, because it's the most difficult thing to adjust, and because it simply doesn't need to be addressed to sell lots of games.

But still, every year they have SOMEthing to advertise. So what do you do when you run out of gimmicks? Remove a bunch of features and add them back in incrementally with a "next-gen twist". Maybe next year you'll be able to hit B to take the red flag out of your pocket, and move the left analog stick + X to choose the location of the throw. "Brand New Next-Gen Call Challenge Mechanic!" will be all over the box. It'll be spectacular.

I'm sorry, but i have to echo the sentiment that if at this time next year, i'm still hearing development cycle BS and wait-til-next-year talk - i will lose what little faith i've had in Tiburon. And that Superman game had better be damn good.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:06 AM   #48
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blahzie
I had that thought too. I just don't buy the idea that we'll ever actually see real blocking schemes or ragdoll physics in a MADDEN game. C'mon, people, this is Madden. Gameplay has never been the primary concern, because it's the most difficult thing to adjust, and because it simply doesn't need to be addressed to sell lots of games.
Exactly. Not your idea though. People here have been saying that for months if not years.

Quote:
But still, every year they have SOMEthing to advertise. So what do you do when you run out of gimmicks? Remove a bunch of features and add them back in incrementally with a "next-gen twist".
Exactly.

Quote:
Maybe next year you'll be able to hit B to take the red flag out of your pocket, and move the left analog stick + X to choose the location of the throw. "Brand New Next-Gen Call Challenge Mechanic!" will be all over the box. It'll be spectacular.
Not that complicated. Next year they’ll simply put defensive adjustments back in; the following year will be superstar mode; etc. By 2010 or at the end of this next-gen console cycle, Madden will have all the features back in it, that it has now (except player creating/editing, is my guess).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »