Home

Does EA Know Madden is not that great?

This is a discussion on Does EA Know Madden is not that great? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 08:18 PM   #41
Youtube Innovators

The Lob Mob's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: Does EA Know Madden is not that great?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacMan3000
Well, I loved the 2K games, but I do agree that they did have their issues. I remember for years you couldn't adjust your KR's in the game. I remember when the announcers didn't say the rookies last names. I remember 2K5's draft glitch of only drafting QB's, RB's, DE's and T's in round one. I remember marquee players getting traded constantly in the game. You'd look up and see Peyton Manning on the Chiefs or Ray Lewis in free agency.

With that said, you saw HUGE strides from the 2K games year to year. I think that's the issue here. In the 2K games, if something was wrong the previous year, they'd work hard to fix it for the next. They got rid of the WWF-esque tackling. They introduced a weekly prep. They gave you halftime highlights. Post game interviews. Mel Kiper draft anaylsis. The presentation was amazing. They even allowed you to add in your own tunes for stadium music. I can go on and on.

With Madden, they seem to ignore the problems people bring up year after year and instead create new modes. I think the Run to Daylight feature is interesting, but not when all the NFL QB's hold the ball high like Aaron Rodgers. Not when the tackling isn't as advanced as it could be. Not when WR's don't catch the ball in stride. Not when there is no TV style presentation. Not when there's a lack of ESPN presence. Not when there is no two man commentary team...
& that "Run to daylight" is nothing but a RIPOFF form College football 2K3.....
Bravo about the TURDS!!!!! LOL!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-03-2006, 08:53 PM   #42
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjonesfan921
A lot of you guys don't understand that NFL 2K5 had it's fair share of problems. It was far and I mean far from a great game. Did I enjoy it? Yes. Was it playable? To a point, online the CB AI was so terrible it was exploited on pretty much every play. Offline? Great game and a lot of fun but so was Madden. I'm just saying both games are great games. I don't understand the hate for EA, because 2K hasn't done **** to make me boast about them. NBA 2K6? Fast-break fest, no defense, too easy. NHL 2K6? Much better then EA's but that isn't saying much. And don't get me started on MLB 2K6. All these game companies will have their ups and downs, that's the way it is. Look at 989/SCEA, they went from NFL Gameday 98(one the best football games ever) to NFL Gameday 2003(Worse ever).
2k5 wasn't that great, minus the presentation..Played decent enough, but still too arcady like Madden..

Audio set up:
Benchmark DAC1
headphones: Balanced Sony SA5000/Sen 650 AKG 340
Old 06-03-2006, 09:45 PM   #43
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
if someone didn't know any better and was reading through this forum they would think that the 2k football series was gold and that the Madden series was just a great big lump of coal.

Come on people. I know that many of you are still pissed about the fact that EA has the exclusive license to the NFL, but lets not miss the forrest for the trees.

The 2k series was not that great of a title. It did little things better than Madden, mainly presentation, but other than that it wasn't the best thing since sliced bread.

Madden/EA was the first to implement a season mode, then a franchise mode, then an owner mode. To say that Madden and EA do nothing as far as innovation is silly. Maybe the reason that they aren't overhauling the game as many would like is the fact that many of us, and I do mean many, like the game the way that it is.

Sure, I understand that some are upset about 2k not being able to make a professional football game, but if they think that they are that much better than EA, why don't they make a college game, and give the NFL a reason to reconsider. EA doesn't have the exclusive rights to the NCAA. If they did, then 2k couldn't make a college basketball game. Sure college isn't as big a title as the NFL, but its a start.

Until 2k does something to give the NFL a reason to think twice about giving the exclusive rights to EA, then I don't feel one bit sorry for them.

EA does have exclusive rights to NCAA Football.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:46 PM   #44
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
EA does have exclusive rights to NCAA Football.
Beat me to it LB,lol.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 06-03-2006, 09:50 PM   #45
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

my bad, I didn't think that companies could get exclusive rights to any NCAA sport. I deleted the post.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2006, 12:55 AM   #46
All Star

DrJones's Arena

OVR: 20

"Until 2k does something to give the NFL a reason to think twice about giving the exclusive rights to EA, then I don't feel one bit sorry for them."

BTW, countryboy (and I mentioned this in the baseball forums), exclusivity is only about one thing: guaranteed cash for the leagues and the player unions. Quality of game is completely irrelevant to the NFL, as are game sales, because the NFL and NFLPA receive their money regardless. In fact, if Madden sales doubled next year, the NFL would want to re-negoatiate the deal for more money. There is absolutely nothing 2K can do to sway the NFL other than offering them more cashola than EA can. 2K was willing to pay more for baseball than EA, that's why they got the MLB license.

Remember, the sports leagues hold the hammer in these negotiations -- if the NFL, MLB, NCAA, NASCAR or whoever agree to an exclusive deal with EA or 2K, it's because they think they can make money that way than through competition. In the case of the NFL, they approached the game companies and basically said, "Exclusivity is up for grabs to the highest bidder."
Old 06-04-2006, 12:57 AM   #47
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjonesfan921
A lot of you guys don't understand that NFL 2K5 had it's fair share of problems. It was far and I mean far from a great game. Did I enjoy it? Yes. Was it playable? To a point, online the CB AI was so terrible it was exploited on pretty much every play. Offline? Great game and a lot of fun but so was Madden. I'm just saying both games are great games. I don't understand the hate for EA, because 2K hasn't done **** to make me boast about them. NBA 2K6? Fast-break fest, no defense, too easy. NHL 2K6? Much better then EA's but that isn't saying much. And don't get me started on MLB 2K6. All these game companies will have their ups and downs, that's the way it is. Look at 989/SCEA, they went from NFL Gameday 98(one the best football games ever) to NFL Gameday 2003(Worse ever).
Problems? Yes. But did you feel like the game was improving every year? YES. Not the same with EA and Madden.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:03 AM   #48
Hall Of Fame

TJdaSportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
Problems? Yes. But did you feel like the game was improving every year? YES. Not the same with EA and Madden.
Oh? Madden never improved? So, adding in things like the hit stick, truck stick, Offensive Playmakers, Defensive Playmakers, Storyline Central, Superstar Mode, and the like isn't "Improvement" in your book? I'm curious...what is?
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »