Home

Im feeling really good about Madden 2010 and so should you!

This is a discussion on Im feeling really good about Madden 2010 and so should you! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-28-2008, 02:10 PM   #17
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

OVR: 35
Re: Im feeling really good about Madden 2010 and so should you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
Huh?

There was an EA company-wide policy stating that no one could interact on forums until Phil and I just broke that mold this year. I've worked on Madden since Madden 2001 and not once has anyone been interacting with the community.

Can you give me some examples here because I have no recollection of anyone doing this before us at EA.
I cant believe it has taken so long for EA to realize that interacting with Websites like OS helps, not hurts the game. If EA made a game based SOLELY on this forums feedback, I swear it would probably be the greatest game ever made.

But sometimes i think the stubbornness of video game developers can really hurt a game. The greatest example of this happening is a Game called Diaktana released about a 8 years ago for PC. It was made by the "legend" John Romero and it turned out to be one of the greatest flops in Video game history all because of the stubbornness of the guy in charge.

Going back to Madden I personally believe the attempt to Further the EA brand by not having a ESPN style broadcast typifies the problem facing Madden and other EA brand games. Instead of creating a stupid gimmick like the "My Skill" for madden 09, the Focus should have been on the Core Gameplay or Franchise. I realize that these gimmicks sell copies but they do not always improve the playing experience.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:30 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:
Huh?

There was an EA company-wide policy stating that no one could interact on forums until Phil and I just broke that mold this year.
Here's hoping that mold breaking continues in August 2009.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:42 PM   #19
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50

I'm feeling good about 2010 myself. 09 wasn't a bad game, at all. It actually bordered on good. Now that's not to say that there weren't holes in it. But I really believe that in having Ian in charge we, the sim heads and disgruntled 2k5 refugees, now having an advocate that can do things that mean something. As some have said, it's probably unrealistic to expect a "new" Madden in one cycle. But there were many improvements is the last part of the 09 games cycle. The improvements were actually meaningful and were done when they could have just gone into ship mode.Those improvements won't disappear, but be built onto. I like the team assembled and have faith. But also realistic expectations. As long as I see this game doing the Fifa climb and headed toward a game that is the definitive representation of football gaming, I'll tag along for the ride, bumpy or smooth.

My thing is that I'm not gonna bring any baggage of hurt feelings and unfulfilled previous expectations with me. I've seen that Ian has shown a good vision and a commitment to trying to turn this game into something really great. And he's made little examples of "hey, check this out, what do you think?" Don't ever remember seeing that out of any of the developers that have come here. We arent talking post ship, but in cycle. That's enough to really keep watching throughout this whole deal. I'm feeling both curious and hopefully expectant...

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Old 11-28-2008, 06:30 PM   #20
3-4 Defense

roll2tide's Arena

OVR: 13
Cool Re: Im feeling really good about Madden 2010 and so should you!

Quote:
Huh?

There was an EA company-wide policy stating that no one could interact on forums until Phil and I just broke that mold this year. I've worked on Madden since Madden 2001 and not once has anyone been interacting with the community.

Can you give me some examples here because I have no recollection of anyone doing this before us at EA.
Like I said....this was a decade ago. The producer was a guy named Doug and one of the lead testers was a guy named Xen I think. Kobra might remember their names.....anyways, Xen(Xin?) played in a league with us and I know that my group of friends all had him and Doug on their ICQ. We used to use Roger Wilco alot. Sites like MaddenPlanet, EliteLeagues(later MaddenMania), and several others were all born around that time and those guys from EA were pretty accessible. I'm sure some of the the older community guys like Kobra, AndyP, DreBly and others remember more about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
You're doing it wrong EA

Twitter roll2tide
Old 11-28-2008, 06:34 PM   #21
3-4 Defense

roll2tide's Arena

OVR: 13
Cool Re: Im feeling really good about Madden 2010 and so should you!

More specifically.....this was the 98 and 99 games. By 01 I think you guys had killed online PC franchises (why, dear lord, oh why?), the leadership had changed, and the interactions ceased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
You're doing it wrong EA

Twitter roll2tide
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-28-2008, 08:50 PM   #22
Banned

OVR: 8

To be honest if Backbreaker can turn out to be atleast a half decent game and is released before Madden I will probably be getting that.

I'm at the point where EA will have to win me over again. I've played this game for 20 years and what they have done on next gen is practically a sin. The damage that has been done to this franchise is too bad to be fixed in one year.

It's the same thing every year with Madden, a few sudtle changes that wear off in appeal in about a week, then your stuck with the exact same game you had the year before. The last major improvement they made with this game was the Liquid AI and that was probably 15 years ago.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:21 PM   #23
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

You have the right to feel good about Madden 2010 , but i dont know about you saying we should to.

Im going to speak for myself and I know im not alone, but Im tired of being dissapointed year after year, and cant really see 2010 being the year that something awesome is going to happen to madden in a short time.

The only way I can see it being a awesome experience is if they went back to the current gen madden engine and buliding off of that, and thats not going to happen.

I agree with you that it is great that the developers are here listening to us, but I think what they should focus on alot is the AI, gameplay, and the Animations in that order. All I keep reading about everthing else but AI, and that concerns me.

The game could look great but if the AI is dumb or not accurate, its going to be another fustrating experience.

Ill say this I hope im wrong and that your right cause I want a good football game.
Its been a long time since we got a good football game on the next gen console.
On the PC Madden 08 is pretty nice(Uses current gen engine).
Old 11-28-2008, 09:56 PM   #24
Banned

OVR: 8

I actually think the AI is about the only thing this game has going for it in the sense of getting players in the right position, it's just what happens from there is the problem for me.

This year i actually think they even regressed in this area with the pocket and DB's staying with anyone practically unless you throw a bullet bomb.

This engine just doesn't represent physics well at all and that ought to be the priority in a football game engine. Then they try to hide this with more and more animations till you have practically no real user control anymore and things just seem to happen without any control.

In my opinion the game had more of a next gen feel to it in 2006 and 2007. It seemed the players looked bigger, the field spacing was better and you had more control even though it wasn't as tight. Ever since they went to 60 fps it's like they tried to go back to last gen and even though the running controls were a little tighter it went back to feeling cartoonish, and even though the running controls got tighter the overall control got worse.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »