Home

The most scripted game I ever played

This is a discussion on The most scripted game I ever played within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 09:05 AM   #33
Pro

EvanRG's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: The most scripted game I ever played

From what I'm reading -- some people treat Madden AI like it's the MATRIX.

You give the EA Developers too much credit. There is no comeback AI! Tweak your sliders and if it's a consistent issue... then we'll talk.

Don't play on Super Star. Madden is worthless without custom sliders -- it's the sad but true fact.

Besides, if you are coming onto a Sim Sports Forum -- how can you be using DEFAULT slider settings?
Old 08-26-2009, 09:28 AM   #34
Greatest "Show" on Earth!

Yankees_CT's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
"The most scripted game I ever played"....I'm sorry that is incorrect, that title belongs to MLB The Show '09. No seriously, they had a well thought out discussion that included scientific data and everything. It was pretty cool to read. They had formulas, ratios, equations, the works.

So I'm sorry, but until you have a mathematical formula in place that shows me otherwise, the Show will go down in OS history as the "most scripted" game of all time, simply due to the time, thought, and effort put into to prove it to be true.

although it doesn't exist in the Show either
^^^^LOL...I think that also was one of the largest threads of all time. I just beat the Pats 17-0 so I guess mine is broken as well. I demand a refund!
Old 08-26-2009, 09:29 AM   #35
Banned

OVR: 18

Some of you guys are funny. The game is scripted, but every game isn't scripted. What does that mean exactly? When you call a perfect play, or have perfect coverage, or throw a perfect pass, and of the above mentioned situations the computer's AI still gets the advantage then it is scripted, this basically means you won't win no matter what you do, when the game decides in fact that you won't win. Does it happen all the time? no, do you sometimes get the advantage? yes.

Case in point. I throw a pass to a receiver that is covered by a db that has his back turned to the receiver, now I am down by 9 and I am driving late in the 4th to draw within 2. The pass is intercepted, now I know the guy was open when I threw the ball, let's go to the replay. The freakin db, with his back turned and a step behind the receiver all of a sudden warps past the receiver to beat him to the ball! Unfreakin believable! game over.

I could go on, trust me. The point is, there is scripted logic lurking about in the game, whether some of you have seen it or not. What? am I going to believe some of yall, or my lying eyes? The game is still fun though, just as long as this stuff does not happen too often.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2009, 09:57 AM   #36
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaStar

Case in point. I throw a pass to a receiver that is covered by a db that has his back turned to the receiver, now I am down by 9 and I am driving late in the 4th to draw within 2. The pass is intercepted, now I know the guy was open when I threw the ball, let's go to the replay. The freakin db, with his back turned and a step behind the receiver all of a sudden warps past the receiver to beat him to the ball! Unfreakin believable! game over.
So he's a step behind... Did your receiver slow up? Was the pass underthrown? Was there too much air under the pass? Could it be that the DB just picked up the effort to beat your receiver for the ball?

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 08-26-2009, 10:01 AM   #37
Banned

OVR: 15

I just love how some folks will say "there is no comeback AI..you just need to step up your game!".

I play on coach mode and I don't control any of the players. I let the AI do everything based on ratings. And I have tried almost every slider package posted in the slider section of the forums.

The best ones for coach mode or cpu/cpu games are a tie between Jukeman's, Gooma's, and Claystone's. But I've tried everyone's including Playmakers, g2thecore(spelling?), Bill's, Marino's, and others.

So with that being said, let me ask you fine people a very important question.

If there is "No Comeback AI" or "Games are not scripted" like some of you have stated, then how do you explain the freakish play in the final minutes of a game? Let's point out some obvious notes here shall we?

1. Romo went from throwing picks and being horrible to being Tom Brady in the final minutes of the game.

2. Felix Jones went from getting about 15 yards per kick return to returning 2 for TD's in the final minutes of the game including the opener in OT.

3. Romo gets clobbered while throwing, but the ONE time there is no duck pass. It's a perfect bullet to a receiver for a TD. In fact, Romo's arm went through the helmet of Jared Allen via morphing.

4. I play on coach mode and could do no wrong throughout the entire game, but could do nothing right in the final minutes of the game. This is all AI controlled, I only use the kickers and I always call the first play using "Madden Suggested". (X on the controller)

I'll be waiting for your "No Comeback AI" answers.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:02 AM   #38

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaStar
So...is this comeback AI or bad programming?

If this happens all game as some people here claim it to, wouldn't that just be something that happens throughout the game? It doesn't just happen when the CPU is down right?
Old 08-26-2009, 10:06 AM   #39
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejccva71
I just love how some folks will say "there is no comeback AI..you just need to step up your game!".

I play on coach mode and I don't control any of the players. I let the AI do everything based on ratings. And I have tried almost every slider package posted in the slider section of the forums.

The best ones for coach mode or cpu/cpu games are a tie between Jukeman's, Gooma's, and Claystone's. But I've tried everyone's including Playmakers, g2thecore(spelling?), Bill's, Marino's, and others.

If there is "No Comeback AI" or "Games are not scripted" like some of you have stated, then how do you explain the freakish play in the final minutes of a game? Let's point out some obvious notes here shall we?

1. Romo went from throwing picks and being horrible to being Tom Brady in the final minutes of the game. ummmm..he regained his composure. Settled down, and started making better decisions.

2. Felix Jones went from getting about 15 yards per kick return to returning 2 for TD's in the final minutes of the game including the opener in OT. ummm...he got better blocking, got lucky, your kick return defense blew assignments

3. Romo gets clobbered while throwing, but the ONE time there is no duck pass. It's a perfect bullet to a receiver for a TD. In fact, Romo's arm went through the helmet of Jared Allen via morphing.I'd like to see a video of this, that would be cool as hell to see

4. I play on coach mode and could do no wrong throughout the entire game, but could do nothing right in the final minutes of the game. This is all AI controlled, I only use the kickers and I always call the first play using "Madden Suggested". (X on the controller)ummm...maybe you shouldn't let Madden call your plays? He is getting old you know.

Answers in bold.

Now a question for you...you say there is comeback AI and the devs say there isn't. Assuming you're correct, what triggers it? Unless it happens every single time you're winning a game, then there has to be something thats triggering this "magical" AI doesn't there?

So what is it? Is there a common denominator in each case, aside from you winning the game? Do they comeback the same way each time? How many times have you experienced this?

I'll be waiting for your answers.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

Last edited by countryboy; 08-26-2009 at 10:09 AM.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:11 AM   #40
MVP

RaiderKtulu's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejccva71

1. Romo went from throwing picks and being horrible to being Tom Brady in the final minutes of the game.

2. Felix Jones went from getting about 15 yards per kick return to returning 2 for TD's in the final minutes of the game including the opener in OT.

3. Romo gets clobbered while throwing, but the ONE time there is no duck pass. It's a perfect bullet to a receiver for a TD. In fact, Romo's arm went through the helmet of Jared Allen via morphing.

4. I play on coach mode and could do no wrong throughout the entire game, but could do nothing right in the final minutes of the game. This is all AI controlled, I only use the kickers and I always call the first play using "Madden Suggested". (X on the controller)

Forgive my smartassery, but anyone playing "Coach Mode" and using Ask Madden deserves to lose.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »