Home

The most scripted game I ever played

This is a discussion on The most scripted game I ever played within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 10:12 AM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: The most scripted game I ever played

There is defenitely a comeback AI or something like that. If the CPU wants to score, cpu players can run through user defenders. IT is annoying, but i think this will never change.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2009, 10:16 AM   #42
Farewell and 'ado

DocHolliday's Arena

OVR: 19

Sounds like you lost dude, stop whining.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:19 AM   #43
Banned

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderKtulu
Forgive my smartassery, but anyone playing "Coach Mode" and using Ask Madden deserves to lose.
Why? Because us NFL Head Coach 09 players want as much simulation as possible? By playing coach mode and only using the madden suggested plays gives some of us that simulation style that Head Coach brought to the table.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:23 AM   #44
Banned

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
So he's a step behind... Did your receiver slow up? Was the pass underthrown? Was there too much air under the pass? Could it be that the DB just picked up the effort to beat your receiver for the ball?
It was a slant route, so I threw a bullet pass. The receive made his cut the db's back was turned and he was a step behind the receiver, there was no way that db should have been able to make a play on the ball. In the instant replay I could see the warp speed thing kick in. I have also seen it kick in when my receivers catch a pass that they should not be able to catch, so it works both ways.

Also, I call a nickel corner blitz on a third and 10. I call this play because the offense of the computer has a three wide set with one rb, this tells me that the blitz won't be picked up easily with just one rb in the game(if the rb stays in and blocks that still leaves my other corner free). The play is called, the computer gets the first down. I go to the instant replay, because I want to see how he was able to get the pass off. Well, the rb went out to the flat so he was irrelevant, one cb had to go around a guard understandable, the other db makes a bee line directly for the qb, then at the last minute turns and runs into the line of scrimmage! I'm like what the freak was that! Lol.

Again, this stuff does not happen alot, yet. but it is quite clear there is a logic in the game that causes predetermined outcomes in individual plays that infact cause scripted outcomes of games. Utlimately, it does not take away from the fun of the game, I just wait for the script to turn in my favor every once and awhile.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:24 AM   #45
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Oh lord. Here we go...lol.

I'll say this. I do think there are some issues with defensive reads where the AI team's players seems to follow routes too well, have an easier time rushing than your AI players, and a host of other little issues that could hamstring the user's chances a bit...particularly on the highest difficulty settings. Most sports games do a poor job of scaling difficulty realistically through logic rather than AI boosts.

That said, I think this is more do to flaws or limitations in the Madden programming than "Comeback AI" since it happens all the time. I've never seen these issues any more frequently, or the CPU play any better in Q4 than any other point in this game. The game may handicap you via the wrong methods at times, but I don't buy that it's something that's coded to kick in to keep games close or bring teams back.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2009, 10:25 AM   #46
Banned

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Answers in bold.

Now a question for you...you say there is comeback AI and the devs say there isn't. Assuming you're correct, what triggers it? Unless it happens every single time you're winning a game, then there has to be something thats triggering this "magical" AI doesn't there?

So what is it? Is there a common denominator in each case, aside from you winning the game? Do they comeback the same way each time? How many times have you experienced this?

I'll be waiting for your answers.
Countryboy I've always respected your answers on this board since I've been here. You're right, it could have been that Romo stepped up his game, Felix ran 2 kickoff returns back for TD's back to back cause my AI blocking just went down the tubes, it could have been alot of things.

This is my 2nd season with the Vikings, and the first season only one other game had this same feel to it. I still won that game though and it was against Green Bay.

Anyways I see your point where it COULD have been that "Adaptive AI", but whether or not it was adaptive AI or comeback AI...it did not matter. Romo looked unstoppable.

What really tipped me off was the play where Jared Allen hits him and he still made a perfect pass, but every other time it was always one of those lob/duck passes that almost gets picked. You know the ones I'm talking about.

Anyways atleast you didn't come back and say "Step your game up" or "You deserve to lose if you play coach mode".
Old 08-26-2009, 10:28 AM   #47
Banned

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejccva71
I am a TRUE believer now. I am a believer that comeback AI still exists in this franchise.

Honestly this felt like comback AI multiplied by 1000. It was like a completely different team I was playing against. Not to mention that the glitches from the game didn't help at all like the ball morphing through players.

When I replayed that time where Jared Allen pulverzied Romo. I replayed it slow and watch how he hit him. Apparently Jared's arm went THROUGH the football as Romo was throwing.
I was never a believer until the Bears overcame a 24 poiint deficit against me (the Browns).
Then the next game I lost on another 20+ point comeback.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:35 AM   #48
MVP

RaiderKtulu's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejccva71
Why? Because us NFL Head Coach 09 players want as much simulation as possible? By playing coach mode and only using the madden suggested plays gives some of us that simulation style that Head Coach brought to the table.
You didn't call your own plays in Head Coach? Making my own plays and running my Raiders how I wanted to was the best part of Head Coach. I understand the "want to be a GM" thing that some people do with drafting and trying to rebuild their teams. And I understand that Superstar mode sucks and some people would rather play the normal game and use ask madden instead of using Superstar mode. But I'm really failing to see any point at all in Coach Mode + Ask Madden. You might as well just watch CPU vs CPU if you aren't going to call your plays.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »