Home

Defensive Ends and OLB's

This is a discussion on Defensive Ends and OLB's within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-27-2010, 03:46 AM   #49
Banned

OVR: 13
Re: Defensive Ends and OLB's

I just read a post in the "WR/DB" thread from pre M10, where the guy lists all the "improvements" EA touted and then breaks them down into which ones don't work (nearly everyone of them is missing something EA said was in) and such!

I was just starting to get on board the "hype train" too.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:30 AM   #50
MVP

OVR: 55

The reason I think we will not see that pocket form is because they'd need an extended animation where the defender is driving into the blocker for multiple steps. This happens all the time in APF and it's really important in producing an authentic pocket. In APF you can actually run the loop and go too far outside of it, just like real life because of the extended animations. Madden should really really adopt this style of blocking for pass rushes especially. Not every blocking engagement is a quick twitch result.

I've spent way too much time thinking about this in the past lol. I don't think it'll be in for the reason mentioned earlier. It takes time to put animations like that into the game and tune everything. Locomotion was already a massive endeavor. Who knows though, I may as well spout off about what I think is ideal. It's not too ludicrous of a request.... a game from 2007 had it.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Old 04-27-2010, 10:56 AM   #51
Pro

brza37's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boregard
I just read a post in the "WR/DB" thread from pre M10, where the guy lists all the "improvements" EA touted and then breaks them down into which ones don't work (nearly everyone of them is missing something EA said was in) and such!

I was just starting to get on board the "hype train" too.
Link?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2010, 11:07 AM   #52
MVP

seriousluboy83's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart2180
I remember you talking about this last year LB. Its such a big part of the game that could fix 2 key area's of the game. First being that the Olb's in a 3-4 Defense are completely useless. Because they are currently programmed to run into the Lt/Rt instead of running up field forcing the T's to move quickly and take the proper steps to make the block. Same thing for defensive Ends. Why are they programed to run right at the LT/RT? They should be trying to get up field.

Fix #2 is the overall look of the pocket. It just doesn't look or play out right. Don't know exactly how to say it but it just doesn't have the right bend look if that makes any sense. Everything is so squished together. There needs to be more space/created lanes to step up in (unless your playing with a Terrible line vs a great D)

IMO there are things that are just plain confusing in Madden. I play in a 3-4 Defense as the 49ers and year after year my DT or LE leads in sacks. That should NEVER be the case in a 3-4 defense. My Dt is supposed to take up 2 blocks and clog up the middle. Not be able to constantly penetrate the Line of scrimmage. And the Ends in a 3-4 Defense should have very weak sack numbers also. There more of an engage and try to contain the outside type. They should not be getting up field as easily as they do in Madden. A 4-3 end YES, 3-4 end NO.

This is something that really needs to get looked at. It basic fundemental's of football. The 3-4 will forever be pointless/useless until these aspects of the game are fixed. These been long over due IMO.

The only reason this is happening is b/c they most likely have a high BKS(block shed) rating...if any DL on your team has a BKS higher than 80 it's a guarantee that he'll get off blocks better than most...a lot of DE's have super low BKS in the 4-3 scheme but high BKS in the 3-4 scheme
Old 04-27-2010, 11:16 AM   #53
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Agreed. We've discussed this at length in our league threads, but posting here is a must.

There's currently no way to represent the true threat of the upfield rush generally and of the elite rushers specifically.

With the new locomotion, I would think it would be possible to start to portray the danger of elite acceleration on the edge. Remember when Derrick Thomas played--the constant word was that he was 3 steps upfield before the OT was out of the gate. I'd love for Madden to be able to account for that.

Currently, it looks like CPU DL run straight at the OL that's supposed to block them. Kind of weird.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:14 PM   #54
Banned

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by brza37
Link?

Sorry, I am not sure how to link within the forums

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...teraction.html

Page 23 look for the Cornhusker avatar with a long post quoted - that is what scares me!

You can read the whole thing or you can skim the last couple pages and see where someone re-posted in that thread a list of "promised" improvements and rebuttal.

Last edited by Boregard; 04-27-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:23 AM   #55
Pro

OVR: 9

I'm not a programmer but I just can't understand why making this change with the DE's is so hard to do? Creating an organic pocket is a core fundamental aspect of football and I really think they are simply unable to mimic this with the currently technology they are using.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2010, 10:30 AM   #56
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Give me this

I'm really starting to take this issue to heart. I don't want to say I do not want to play the game if this is not addressed, but I'm on the verge of saying it. I don't want to go into another gaming year with the mindset that ohhh boy, I gotta blitz everything just to be competitive. I hate that mindset. Btw, the only thing I would change about this video is Kindle in a Ravens uniform and Big Ben standing in for Potts LOL

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »