Home

What is Consecutive Tackling?

This is a discussion on What is Consecutive Tackling? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-16-2010, 04:17 PM   #25
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: What is Consecutive Tackling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
This is the first time I've heard of "Consecutive Tackling." Probably because I don't peruse You Tube City. Instead, I wait two months after the term is "coined" at OS. This is an eyesore with NCAA this year, and I'm sure it will be with Madden this year. (There is a thread over in NCAA about this very topic, even the people that posted in the thread note that it needs to be fixed, NCAA is still a great game)

We all know it won't be in this years game or even a patch. I am hoping that Madden will try to make "Protac" less warpy.

I just think the timing isn't right to bring up consecutive tackles at this time. Anytime after release date would be a preference.

I just don't think the Madden team is "focused" on addressing consecutive tackles at this time.
This is more than an eye sore. It's a cause for an excessive number of big plays. Once the tackle animation triggers, the defenders hit the force field, then the ball carrier breaks out of the animation after all the defenders are on the turf and it turns into an 80 yard run.

Very frustrating when your on defense especially after Ian came on here last year and talked about how players would be able to hit stick piles and affect the ball carriers direction when pro-tak engaged.

I've been following Apex for a while and this is one of his earlier phrases. It's about as old as "tron jogging".
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2010, 04:20 PM   #26
Banned

tlc12576's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
.....As far as lying, maybe it's more of a personal issue, but I've witnessed him tell lies. Or rather, I've seen him fabricate the truth to elevate himself and his own rep. When community day went down last year, he was one of the vocal ones in saying why all of us collectively shouldn't have been invited. He then inferred that we were all down there kissing tails and not trying to improve the game.......
Rgiles, maybe you can help clear up my beefe with Community Day. I have no problem with the gamers that go to the event and honestly believe you guys want a better Madden. However, what is the actual point of it? I dont mean the ideology of it but the actual point to it.

Seems like you guys go there to give EA your suggestions for improving Madden but they have a differrent motive, for the most part, IMO. They seem to mainly want to find out what you guys think of what they did or are planning on doing. From the posts I have read from CD guys, EA spends alot of time making excuses, in some cases and valid points sometimes, about why they can't or haven't done things you guys repeatedly suggest. It all just seems so disconnected to me, like some kind of reverse psychology.

Asking gamers opinions on Madden when EA feels they already have the facts seems to be about making gamers feel they are listening. A prime example of this is with the Career Mode announcement. They state that overhauling franchise will take more than a year and they want all our ideas to improve the mode. If Madden 12 is truly the "year of the franchise" like some gamers have prophesied, there should be little doubt EA has already decided what to place in it. Most likely it would be HC 09 transfered fully to franchise mode but yet they ask gamers to submit their franchise ideas as if there aren't already countless gamer franchise suggestions everywhere.

Community Day seems to mainly be another EA marketing "gimmick" to boost consumer confidence, IMO. I read a post where I think you or some other CD guy broke down the expenses EA incurs for each CD guy. It's not "chump change" but it's a small advertising price to pay to get respected gamers in and making it APPEAR to the Madden community that EA is listening. What is reality is not half as important in marketing as a consumer's perception. That perception is the consumer's reality.

This is not meant to be an idictment of CD guys, just a belief I have about EA's main purpose for Madden Community Day under the exclusive NFL license.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:27 PM   #27
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
I'll never take anything away from the 2K football nor will I disparage it in any way... It is a great series. I can and have enjoyed WATCHING the interactions of players on 2K in spite of the fact that I have no interest in playing it. No doubt, 2K is and has always been a beautiful game. One that I can appreciate solely on the basis of it's aesthetics...
Okay, I dont understand how you can think that NFL 2K is a great series but yet, you've never played the game. And why would you watch it but never play it? Even though im a 2K5 fan, when I see videos of Madden, I still want to play it and see how it is.

Quote:
But when it comes to PLAYING the game, nothing has ever touched the intuitive and instinctive "feel" of Madden. Even though it's not as pretty, Madden has plenty of merit as a FUN GAME even though it has many areas where it can improve.

Later
Personally, I own Madden NFL 10 for PS3 and I played a full season combined between the 49ers and Ravens and quite honestly, even though I could play several games in a row, after a while I get bored of the game (and its flaws) and find myself going back to 2K5.

The gameplay in 2K5 isnt perfect but its damn good and when you add in the presentation, it feels like you're not just watching or playing a football video game but at times, you feel like you're in the game. And thats what I care about most when playing any video game, does it feel like you're actually in the game? Video games (sports or otherwise) are meant to be a fantasy of doing something that for whatever reason you'll never do in reality and if I cant get immersed in the games im playing, whats the point of playin video games to begin with? I mine as well collect stamps.

With all that being said, you should at the very least play a full season of 2K5. Seriously, if the biggest 2K5 fanboy can buy and play Madden, then every Madden fan should at least be fair and play 2K5 for a full season before saying anything positive or negative.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:34 PM   #28
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofeazy
Why Its part of the gameplay? You know and I know Consecutive tackles will not be in the final build.(And if it is in the game, I take back what I said.)

Why wait after the release to talk about Consecutive tackles?(Madden going to sell 2 million any ways.Yes I know it can't be patch.)
I noticed you didn't quote something I mentioned which is more important than what you quoted.

I don't feel the timing is right to bring "Consecutive Tackles" up to the Madden team. They are probably focused on getting 11 out and advertising it.

Once 11 releases is the time to get their attention.

That's all I meant by it.

I'm not saying it's not important.

I believe you KJ, like I said, I don't peruse You Tube City.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:46 PM   #29
Banned

sois's Arena

OVR: 24

The funny thing about this issues that even Tecmo Super Bowl has as secondary contact element. If a QB and a LB are tied up in a Tecmo scrum and you come along with your DL and touch the interaction, the QB goes down instantly, granted you have enough HP.

If you are have an Okoye style back against a DB and another DB comes up to assist, sometimes that secondary DB will fly off because even combined, they were not strong enough to take Okoye down.

In Madden, the secondary player doesn't even factor in at all.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:25 PM   #30
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

I've never heard of 'consecutive tackling'. Like others have said, it's more than likely the concept of having multiple players affect the ball carrier when attempting to tackle the ball carrier. It's been in every major game game since 2000 (NFL Fever, ESPN NFL 2K5, APF2K8, BackBreaker) except for Madden/NCAA. In Madden if another player has the carrier in the grasp, then your player will basically run by them, or if you dive, bounce off them like they hit a wall. In other words, they might as well not be there.

While BackBreaker probably has the most dynamic, and some of the most realistic plays, at times the players still have a rag doll appearance. With regards to the football games with canned animations and for my money, NFL Fever did it best. I'm saying that having just played NFL Fever '04 for the first time a couple of weeks back. They had amazing impacts, varied takedowns, and multiple bend points (like on the shoulder pads even) that none of the other games have provided. Net result was NFL Fever tackles looked more realistic, and the other games look more stiff.

Last edited by Valdarez; 07-16-2010 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:43 PM   #31
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
I'll never take anything away from the 2K football nor will I disparage it in any way... It is a great series. I can and have enjoyed WATCHING the interactions of players on 2K in spite of the fact that I have no interest in playing it. No doubt, 2K is and has always been a beautiful game. One that I can appreciate solely on the basis of it's aesthetics...

But when it comes to PLAYING the game, nothing has ever touched the intuitive and instinctive "feel" of Madden. Even though it's not as pretty, Madden has plenty of merit as a FUN GAME even though it has many areas where it can improve.

Later

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc12576
WTF? LOL! Nothing "ever" will as long as you refuse to PLAY other football games.
This. This is why I have a hard time taking your opinions seriously TNT. You don't have any experience playing a 2k game and make claims like the part we put in bold. That claim is groundless, more so when you admit you have never even played other NFL games.

California is the best to ever live in. I mean, I haven't lived in other states, but why would I? It's cool that other people here like the states they live in, if they do, but those states aren't as good as California.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2010, 07:02 PM   #32
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Here is a recent versus vid demonstrating the problem of "no consectutive tackles". It also shows how the game disables spin moves midway through the animation but that's for another topic I guess. Notice how 4 defenders hit the ground while the ball carrier is battling with a defender. If the ball carrier wins that battle, this play probably goes for a touchdown when 5 guys should've been able to make a play. Beyond frustrating.

Edit: forgot to post the vid, lol

http://www.youtube.com/user/versuz2#p/a/u/2/fR17Q9IQ3uY

Ironically, versus calls it "tumbleweed tackling" not "consecutive tackling".

Last edited by kjcheezhead; 07-16-2010 at 07:05 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »