Home

Will the new Strategy Pad possibly keep you from buying Madden 11?

This is a discussion on Will the new Strategy Pad possibly keep you from buying Madden 11? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Will the strategy pad possibly keep you from buying Madden 11?
Yes, I may not buy the game now due to this change 82 35.34%
No, this will not affect my purchasing decision 150 64.66%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-2010, 03:53 PM   #25
Rookie

Futurestyl3's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Will the new Strategy Pad possibly keep you from buying Madden 11?

nah im still buying it this year
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2010, 03:59 PM   #26
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by KensaiKatai
me too, but what if the offense audibles? and there's always situation where i have to make an adjustment, you don't know where the strong side of the formation is by looking knowing the oset from the playcall screen.

Just like in real life a D will have less time to adjust to audibles. Thats the point of an audible (well a point not the point)

I respect that because you are dictating to the offense but by this statement i guess it's pretty apparent, as far as adjustments go, your not taking this issue quite as seriously as me. Not even a strat pad thing then.

No one takes their FB gaming as serious as me. That's why I'm trying to get Madden morphed into a FB game.
Redesigning whole plays before the snap is not football. It's Madden.
What's the point of even having plays if people just want to redesign them at the LOS? Just have the base sets, break the huddle and design the D.

I'd rather have it like football. No team in real life is going to sit there and wait for the MLB to yell out individual assignments to 10 players.

Football: See the O formation and get a base set ready.. react to what the O is doing and looking like and adjust as quickly as you can OFF OF what original play was designed to do. It's a hectic 100MPH sport will quick decisions after quick decisions

I actually got pretty fast with maddens system by holding in the button and using the dpad instead of scrolling. But alas...
I seriously don't think I'm a bit slower doing what I did before with the D-Pad

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 07-28-2010, 04:03 PM   #27
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

No, I do like the SP, it's not a game killer for me.

I totally agree with Skyboxer.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:21 PM   #28
MVP

SteelerSpartan's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
I seriously don't think I'm a bit slower doing what I did before with the D-Pad

because you said you don't do many changes before the snap

I think we disagree on how well done these playbooks are....If they had plays that really showed the intricacies of an NFL teams Defense then I might be more willing to accept less user control

but as it is....IMO they're rather lifeless and lack any sort of true personality....and then EA is going to go a step further and handicap what little life we can bring to them........c'mon man

My CFB Teams:
Marshall..WVU-Go Herd/Eeers!!!

Old 07-28-2010, 04:22 PM   #29
MVP

ezio's Arena

OVR: 19

I stil don't know if I am getting it but Staretgy Pad will not be a factor. I had no problem with the gamepad on the ps3.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:28 PM   #30
Banned

OVR: 8

Take the time to get used to using it before crying "it now takes me six minutes to RE-DESIGN" my base defensive play. Here's a thought choose a better base play to guard what you're opponents doing, that needs 1-2 adjustments if any.

Granted when guys were changing everything about their offense via hot route this was necessary but it looks to be a different day with the "S-Pad" on both sides.

I've used it some I think for some things its faster, I compare it to the days of putting a code in a video game like MK to do a fatality or on Sega/Nintendo/Super Nintendo at the main menu to unlock cheats. You remember the up,down, left, left, right combos. In a month this won't even be an issue. As most will have learned the new way.

I still prefer 2K's system to any out there.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:29 PM   #31
MVP

OVR: 21

The strategy pad is going to take some getting used to, and it just doesn't seem to be any better than the old method. Then again, it doesn't really seem to be any worse either, just different. It makes the learning curve more frustrating since it seems unnecessary. However, the functionality is still there, so it's not a deal breaker to me.

I just don't understand why there's no simple menu option to turn it back -- just like the sprint button, or the way I could turn off fight for fumble/backtrack/rewinds, etc...

• PSN ID: MaddenDew
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2010, 04:30 PM   #32
Rookie

KensaiKatai's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerSpartan
because you said you don't do many changes before the snap

I think we disagree on how well done these playbooks are....If they had plays that really showed the intricacies of an NFL teams Defense then I might be more willing to accept less user control

but as it is....IMO they're rather lifeless and lack any sort of true personality....and then EA is going to go a step further and handicap what little life we can bring to them........c'mon man
exactly.

I just wanna say to Sky and to the rest that are making it work. if you can get your adjustments done in time more power to you, but even with practice i can't get it done. It's not only that but it's like trying to do dragon punches (ryu's uppercut, not command wise but you know what i mean) with the XBOX dpad, so even if you input the RIGHT command there's a good 35% chance i'll press the wrong button (e.g. right instead of down). It's just how the dpad registers on the 360. Sadly the more i think about it, the more i contemplate it, and the more i play it, the more i realize i won't be able to make this work. I'm just one person though, whether my opinion makes up the minority or the majority, who knows..

If this isn't patched, I will be waiting for the franchise improvements with 12, which for some reason (maybe the bottom line this year? first time i'm not buying, maybe there are others like me?) i'm optimistic 12 will be a much improved game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »