Home

Will the new Strategy Pad possibly keep you from buying Madden 11?

This is a discussion on Will the new Strategy Pad possibly keep you from buying Madden 11? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Will the strategy pad possibly keep you from buying Madden 11?
Yes, I may not buy the game now due to this change 82 35.34%
No, this will not affect my purchasing decision 150 64.66%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-2010, 04:32 PM   #33
MVP

SteelerSpartan's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Will the new Strategy Pad possibly keep you from buying Madden 11?

Granted sometimes I do audible on the fly after the cpu has broken the huddle.......

but a lot of the time Ive already created the play in my head an will immediately get to changing......

Until they expand their playbooks on the Defense's side of the ball(looks like they're reducing em)

we need to be able to do these types of changes to counter the CPU flat out cheating us on the higher levels of the game

My CFB Teams:
Marshall..WVU-Go Herd/Eeers!!!

Last edited by SteelerSpartan; 07-28-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:36 PM   #34
Rookie

KensaiKatai's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by s38s38s

I've used it some I think for some things its faster, I compare it to the days of putting a code in a video game like MK to do a fatality or on Sega/Nintendo/Super Nintendo at the main menu to unlock cheats. You remember the up,down, left, left, right combos. In a month this won't even be an issue. As most will have learned the new way.

I still prefer 2K's system to any out there.

I hear you man, but that dpad on the 360 does not befriend itself to your analogy, have you ever tried to play mortal kombat on your 360? ...i have. NEVER again.

maybe it's not an issue for some of you, but it's the reason i bought a 150 dollar custom joystick for street fighter 4 on my 360. responsive control is everything to me. the 360 dpad is just not responsive. To have to press that thing 20 times presnap is just not practical. I heard on ps3 the issue is not as prevalent but none of my friends play on ps3..none of my friends are actually buying this year. We are making a statement and are going to stick with NCAA, which IMO was a phenomenal effort by EA. Why settle for less when a better standard has been set by something else, it's a waste of time.

If anything, they should of kept the controls unilateral for both games. I do appreciate the people who can see the bright side of it, i just can't adapt to it.

Last edited by KensaiKatai; 07-28-2010 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:14 PM   #35
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerSpartan
because you said you don't do many changes before the snap

I think we disagree on how well done these playbooks are....If they had plays that really showed the intricacies of an NFL teams Defense then I might be more willing to accept less user control

but as it is....IMO they're rather lifeless and lack any sort of true personality....and then EA is going to go a step further and handicap what little life we can bring to them........c'mon man
No, not a disagreement. The plays in Madden lack thought and intricacies. Again I think it's a direct cause of cheesers etc. Same reason I believe we still haven't had a decent play designer since FPSFB. They are Madden plays, not football plays.

I do not redesign plays at the LOS because that's not realistic and I don't like playing that way. So the adjustments I do, don't require a handful of moves.

Again all these issues are because people, for obvious reason, are poisoned with Madden gameplay and style.

People actually looking down on gameplanning tells me a lot about the current state of football gaming.
Is the gameplanning really deep etc..? No but you have to start somewhere.

Just to be clear I am NOT downing anyone who hates the D-Pad. Personally I think it was a waste of time that could have been better spent elsewhere. I think at the minimum it should have been an option.

I could care less about the D-Pad. I could care less about a lot of things in Madden. However I care about trying to get a football sim.

Bottom line to me is I'm a little disappointed that the strategy pad is concern #1 with everyone, gameplanning isn't looked at as a good thing and EA is basing decisions it seems off of people who play online.

What ever happened to trying to create a football sim? There's more to football than what happens on the field. I really thought when NFL Head Coach came out it would morph inside Madden and take us a step closer to realism on and off the field... Nope.

Football gaming has become Madden gaming and I'm as disappointed in that as ODogg is about the D word... lol

Some people would find out if there was a second gunman on the grassy knoll, some would try and save JFK outright..
I'd go back and do everything I could to stop the exclusive deal.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2010, 05:16 PM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 1

Using the strat pad makes me not want to play(on the 360). I'm still going to buy Madden because I want to try OTP. If it weren't for OTP, Madden would be a no go for me. They should at least give us the option to use the old method. Hopefully they can patch this or something. If OTP doesn't work out for me, my Madden days might be shorter than ever this year. I can't see myself ever getting comfortable with the strat pad enough to make proper adjustments. The d-pad on the 360 is just so unresponsive, it doesn't work well when you try to do things quicky.

I am a huge Tekken fan, played it since the beginning. I was very excited when it came to the 360. I bought it day one, played for about 3 hours and quickly realized that it just wasn't going to work. The 360 d-pad is just not good enough for certain things. Since Microsoft is not in any hurry to fix it, I'm waiting for an aftermarket controller with a decent pad. Maybe the strat pad wouldn't be so bad then.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:20 PM   #37
Rookie

KensaiKatai's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
I do not redesign plays at the LOS because that's not realistic and I don't like playing that way. So the adjustments I do, don't require a handful of moves.

Again all these issues are because people, for obvious reason, are poisoned with Madden gameplay and style.
This is wrong. Your holier than thou attitude is offbase here, you don't know more about the intricacies of football from a play perspective if you really believe this.

Need proof?

Go look at the Raiders win over the colts in 2002 where Greg Biekert annihilated Peyton Manning's audibles at the line of scrimmage. by countering everyone of his audibles. By the second half he had every line call down and coming out of their BASE MAN TO MAN they made the adjustments to stop peyton's adjustment's. This was MULTIPLE adjustments at the line of scrimmage. For me, this is where the chess match lies.

How many times this needs to be done is dependant on the LEVEL of the player you are playing against, case and point: PEYTON MANNING.

Frankly, you just CANT DO THIS AS FAST AS BEFORE, please stop with the this is not sim argument. Not to mention, the 4-3 playbook is beyond weak in this game and presnap adjustments were the only way to counter that. You saying making many adjustments at the line is cheese (or not realistic) is no different than saying no huddle is cheese, they are both part of the game. Either way, as others have stated, we shouldn't of been restricted, rather there should of been more ways to counter it.

Last edited by KensaiKatai; 07-28-2010 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:28 PM   #38
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

74 VOTES total
22 NO votes = 30% of those responding may not buy the game due to this single issue.

Yes this poll is not scientific and it's probably unbalanced somewhat due to more people who are not going to buy it would be apt to post than those who would, but still, the poll results so far are surprising I think, even to me.

EA, are you listening?????
Old 07-28-2010, 05:31 PM   #39
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
74 VOTES total
22 NO votes = 30% of those responding may not buy the game due to this single issue.

Yes this poll is not scientific and it's probably unbalanced somewhat due to more people who are not going to buy it would be apt to post than those who would, but still, the poll results so far are surprising I think, even to me.

EA, are you listening?????
Based on Ian's twitter, it's only been a few days since the demo. He is noting the results, but wants to give it more time for people to adjust.

The retail version hasn't even hit the stores, yet.

Odogg- Let me ask you this, what if NCAA goes to SP next year?

Or are you asking for just an option?
Old 07-28-2010, 05:48 PM   #40
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Honestly if NCAA goes to SP next year I don't know what I'll do. I know that maybe that'll be the final nail in the coffin for my football video game obsession. I had a good run though, about 20 some years. And now there are a lot of other games, both sports and non-sports to play.

I just talked with my friend who I play most of my Xbox games against online and he is feeling the same way as me. He's buying the game but he said he doubts he's going to play it much. It could be the end for us old timers it seems.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »