Home

Whatever happened to enjoying games

This is a discussion on Whatever happened to enjoying games within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-19-2012, 12:13 AM   #73
Banned

js3512's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Whatever happened to enjoying games

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooch49
It seems nowadays most look to find everything wrong with the game, rather than just enjoying it for what it really is, a videogame. I realize in todays technology, we expect as close of emulation to the real thing. But we often forget that games originally intended to be fun. This years Madden, like in previous ones, may not emulate the NFL perfectly and completely. But it still is a darn good representation of football, while also serving as a enjoyable gaming experience. When I want the real thing, I watch the real thing. When I want to fantasize about it, I play Madden. Simple as that.
Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk 2
Not gonna read through all these pages but I have to agree with you. When I get a new game or a new demo I don't sit there analyzing what I see wrong with it, I just play it and enjoy it. Sometimes as I'm doing so something may stick out that I can't help but notice being wrong or off and that's the stuff I'll complain about. I'm not gonna inspect each and every player's equipment to make sure it's spot on with real life. I'm not gonna record video so I can go back and analyze everything like, "oh, that guy shoulda blocked him but he blocked the other guys instead." (although I would love the ability to have game film in the game itself, both for my team and upcoming opponents as practice tools... maybe next gen?)
Old 08-19-2012, 12:15 AM   #74
MVP

bukktown's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by splff3000
Exclusivity happened. I know for a fact that OS was nothing like this when there were other football games being made. If someone didn't like Madden, there was no need to complain. They could just go buy a different football game. More choices = Less complaining.
I haven't been in the MLB2K forums since I bought a PS3 in 2008. If the only baseball game that I could buy was MLB2K then I would be posting in there and it wouldn't be anything positive.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:22 AM   #75
Banned

js3512's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukktown
I haven't been in the MLB2K forums since I bought a PS3 in 2008. If the only baseball game that I could buy was MLB2K then I would be posting in there and it wouldn't be anything positive.
Well, the good news is, XBox users won't have to worry about complaining about MLB2K next season. The bad news is, they won't have a baseball game to play at all. I feel bad for anyone with an XBox and loves baseball and can't afford a PS3.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2012, 12:26 AM   #76
MVP

bukktown's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by js3512
Well, the good news is, XBox users won't have to worry about complaining about MLB2K next season. The bad news is, they won't have a baseball game to play at all. I feel bad for anyone with an XBox and loves baseball and can't afford a PS3.
I guess I better pop in there and bitch and moan before September. Just for old times sake.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:21 AM   #77
All Star

splff3000's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Actually, Spliff, I thought the same thing a few weeks ago, but a mod told me in a thread it was even worse because you would have each side saying "my game is better than your game or vice versa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRMosier_LM
Fact.. I only lurked back then and never created an account. But it was the same... It's actually better now.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
Off topic: My point was in reference to the complaints about Madden. Yeah, it might have been worse for a mod because there were indeed 2k vs Madden battles, but it wasn't worse for us members. I couldn't tell you how bad it was for a mod, but there were no threads like this:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...nstituted.html

If anything, there was a sense of pride for Madden back then. You'd be hard pressed to find that same kinda dedication now.

On topic: I'm surprised this thread is still open actually lol. I thought it'd be an all out war by now. This is a touchy subject. At what point does criticism become complaining? Who gets to decide that? Because I didn't offer a solution for the problem, I'm a complainer? I'm sorry, but I've never played in the NFL and I'm not a programmer so I don't know what needs to be done to prevent my QB from getting sacked every time he tries a playaction pass.

Personally, I think there are too many complaints about complainers. I guess I'm a complainer because I rarely have a solution to the problem I'm talking about and that seems to be the key factor in determining whether you're complaining or offering constructive criticism here.

I've been playing Madden since 89 and I never had a problem with it until this gen. I've always realized that it was a game and wasn't perfect. I might've had a gripe or 2 but nothing big. This gen tho, you see me all over the place talking about this and talking about that. It's because, IMO, Madden, this gen, has been mediocre at best and completely horrible at worst. Combine that with exclusivity and you're gonna have a barrage of complaints. I'm not gonna lie, I feel that most of it is warranted. It's not like people are upset because their QB can't throw a flaming pass that explodes if the defender tries to intercept it. No, they're upset because that defender can bump the sh** out of their WR and nothing is called. Hell, you'd get upset if that happened in the real NFL, so why not now? Most of the time, the complaints aren't for things that are outlandish. They're for simple football basics.

I got Madden 13 pre-ordered and will prolly go pick it up at midnight, but I will keep discussing the flaws of the game. For me, I'm talking fundamental football flaws. I don't care about player edits and fantasy drafts and all that stuff. This is supposed to be a football game first and foremost. When a major component of football ie player movement, isn't the top priority when making this game, then yes I'm gonna say something. You can call it what you want, but something has to be said.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:30 AM   #78
MVP

Gorilla Glass's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooch49
It seems nowadays most look to find everything wrong with the game, rather than just enjoying it for what it really is, a videogame. I realize in todays technology, we expect as close of emulation to the real thing. But we often forget that games originally intended to be fun. This years Madden, like in previous ones, may not emulate the NFL perfectly and completely. But it still is a darn good representation of football, while also serving as a enjoyable gaming experience. When I want the real thing, I watch the real thing. When I want to fantasize about it, I play Madden. Simple as that.
Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk 2
Then on top of what you stated, it then becomes very difficult to overlook minor flaws, because they become amplified. In order to forget anything, you must think about it.

Even if the game was perfect, there would be a crew to deem it 'too perfect.' lol...
Old 08-19-2012, 01:38 AM   #79
Banned

js3512's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Glass
Then on top of what you stated, it then becomes very difficult to overlook minor flaws, because they become amplified. In order to forget anything, you must think about it.

Even if the game was perfect, there would be a crew to deem it 'too perfect.' lol...
lol you're right... you know, half the "flaws" with the demo (maybe more than half) I didn't even know were there until I came on OS and saw people complaining about them.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:47 AM   #80
MVP

Bgamer90's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise408
What "issues"?
Main issues: player progression was terrible, too much player trading (bad trading logic), and I found the menus to be very slow

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »