Home

Boston Red Sox - 2006

This is a discussion on Boston Red Sox - 2006 within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-03-2006, 05:15 PM   #129
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: Boston Red Sox - 2006

Foulke looked pretty bad

I don't want to jump to conclusions, but I would tend to believe Foulke's play on the field will never match the value of his contract. Which is all well and fine with me. He pitched his heart out in 2004, and was key component to our WS run. Without him we're going on 88 years...

I personally don't see the loss of Foulke as huge as other analysts do though. If Keith is ineffective, then slide Paps or Hansen in the role and that'll be that. What will be done with KF, beats me. Make him a garbage time man, put him on the DL, send him to AAA... I dunno.
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield
Old 04-03-2006, 05:19 PM   #130
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasha
Foulke looked pretty bad

I don't want to jump to conclusions, but I would tend to believe Foulke's play on the field will never match the value of his contract. Which is all well and fine with me. He pitched his heart out in 2004, and was key component to our WS run. Without him we're going on 88 years...

I personally don't see the loss of Foulke as huge as other analysts do though. If Keith is ineffective, then slide Paps or Hansen in the role and that'll be that. What will be done with KF, beats me. Make him a garbage time man, put him on the DL, send him to AAA... I dunno.
He got roughed up, but lets remember he didnt get all that much live action in spring training, which is why he was in a non save situation today. To me, his stuff didn't look that bad but his location was horrible, ie changeups up in the zone. I think he'll be fine, but probably not lights out like in 2004.

I think Papelbon could be a reasonable option if Foulke is bad, but Hansen is nowhere near ready for the majors. They're starting him in AA so he can pitch 3 inning stints to work on his other pitches, which he needs badly.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:37 PM   #131
All Star

OVR: 25

I agree, I thought Foulke's stuff looked fine. To get pumped for the season I was watching the DVD's from the 2004 post season and Foulke was only throwing his fastball 86-88 most of the time. He looked to be about there today too but his location was bad. Fastballs got too much of the plate and the change was up. After seeing that one slider he threw to Barajas I don't want to see many more. I think he gets a good solid month to establish himself as the closer before Tito gives up on him (if he's bad). I'm rooting for him. No matter what happens, if anyone at Fenway boos him they suck as fans, 'cause as Thrasha put it, without him we're going on 88 years.

Schilling looked great. He definitly was laboring a bit in the 5th and 6th inning but thats no concern this early in the season. His fastball had good life on it and the split was consistently down. He certainly made a lot of fans breath easier after today's performance. I think he can easily post a sub 4.00 ERA this year, even if he doesn't punch out 200+.

As far as everything else, not much can be drawn. Crisp looked very good in center as he took good routes on balls and showed some great speed and range, more than I expected. And I know he doesn't have a great arm, but it certainly is an improvement over Damon's from a year ago (granted Damon was hurt). Guys won't be taking the same risks on him that they were with Damon, where everyone was going first to third on a ball hit to him. The jury is out on Lowell and his bat speed, but it was good to see him go deep. Papi going deep was no surprise and I really liked Loretta's at bats, even Gonzalez's. Both showed good patience. Youk looked solid at first and can't be any worse than Millar. Papelbon was impressive and its good to know he could possibly supplant Foulke if Foulke can't get it back (the splitters he threw today were better than any he threw last year).

All and all, a nice performance by the pitching, hitting, and defense. It's good to see the Sox win on Opening Day for a change.

And as an aside, Lowe got rocked by Atlanta for 8 runs. Nomar isn't playing, anyone know why? I know he had a horrible spring.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2006, 05:45 PM   #132
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit
And as an aside, Lowe got rocked by Atlanta for 8 runs. Nomar isn't playing, anyone know why? I know he had a horrible spring.
Senor Garciaparra is injured, I believe it's a rib strain.

And that's surprising to hear about Lowe (for some reason I'm not getting the game) seeing as though everyone from Dodger camp was talking about how great he looked in ST.
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield
Old 04-03-2006, 07:07 PM   #133
Banned

GBrushTWood's Arena

OVR: 9

Foulke won't be the closer in two weeks. He looked like dog**** today. 86-87 MPH meatballs with average command, and hanging change ups. There's no way he will be getting major leaguers out in the 9th inning this year (without giving up 3 runs beforehand, that is). Pick up Papelbon for your fantasy teams.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:30 PM   #134
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrushTWood
Foulke won't be the closer in two weeks. He looked like dog**** today. 86-87 MPH meatballs with average command, and hanging change ups. There's no way he will be getting major leaguers out in the 9th inning this year (without giving up 3 runs beforehand, that is). Pick up Papelbon for your fantasy teams.
He only pitched 4 innings in ST and you're ready to write him off already? 86-87 is about par for the course for him. Granted his location was off but give him time and I think he can be effective again. I don't think we'll ever see the 2004 Foulke again, but he won't be losing the job in 2 weeks.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:16 PM   #135
TNA & WWE thanks you

CWood2's Arena

OVR: 20

Nothing against Bard (yet), but I'm highly uncomfortable watching him catch Wakefield. And by uncomfortable, I mean the type of uncomfortable that you feel when you're watching a kid melt down in front of the class on the day of a big presentation. You just get the feeling he's poised to set a record for past balls and hit .080 as a result. He has made some terrific blocks, and I'm sure he's a great receiver, but until he gets used to the knuckle ball it's not very fun to watch.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2006, 10:09 PM   #136
MVP

OVR: 14

Padilla had his stuff today. His fastballs had an explosion at the end of them. I thought the Sox couldn't catch a break on offense though, as they hit a lot of liners and hard hit balls right at guys. Great defensive night for the Rangers.

Maybe the Sox can still pull of some more runs and make it a game in the 8th.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »